Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th August 2007, 18:54   #1
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

Default Replaced IOVOX with VDO 413 - remote issues

I have replaced the cassette/ radio CR80 with a VDO 413 - now this has the top row of connectors missing so the remote control wired for the IOVOX will not connected however it has a two lead connecter for steering wheel remote control and when I connect these up to the right wires on the the green mini iso I get some function from the remote control as follows

top button - when I press down this decreases volume as normal
when I press up rather than increase vo;ume it starts a search of the radio stations,
the middle button does nothing - it's meant to change from radio to CD
the bottom button again when you press down steps thru the presets or selects previous cd track - when you press up agains just does a search or plays the same 1st cd track again.

Obviously the switch is working but anyone any idea why it's doing what it's doing.

The thing is I know some on the forum state that the 413x is the rover head unit but I have seen one of these VDO units in a old pool car Rover 75 conn we had in our car park and these 2 fly leads were connected into the looms and worked as they should.

Stubs
STUBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007, 19:12   #2
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Hi Stubie

I came across a similar problem when I swapped out my 413x for a 5305. Basically the VDO units fitted to MGR cars were "Roverised" and need a different resistive input to the normal VDO radios. I started a thread over on .org about it - I think you contributed, actually http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=138395

I got it working by adapting the remote switch unit myself.

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007, 19:59   #3
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

CDTi

How did you adapt the steering control?
STUBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007, 20:30   #4
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Post 26 from that thread on .org:

"Done it and it works

I changed the SMT resistors in the steering controls for the appropriate values. Unfortunately I had to use 0.6w metal film resistors so the final job will not win any beauty contests but it does work.

I have attached a few pics to show what the controls look like (sorry about the quality - using crappy phone camera). Its easy to disassemble the controls and take out the PCB.

Because of the way the controls work (i.e. adding the resistances for different actions), there is a bit of rewiring/cutting involved to get it right. For anyone who understands resistances and can solder, its quite an easy job.

As mentioned, the controls work by adding resistors for the required action i.e. it isn't a different resistor for each action. The values are as follows:

R1 - 82
R2 - 82
R3 - 120
R4 - 180
R5 - 330 (all values in ohms)

The resistors are used as follows when the buttons are pressed:

Vol - : R1
Vol + : R1 +R2
Source: R1 +R2 +R3
Next : R1 + R2 + R3 + R4
Prev : R1 + R2 + R3 + R4 + R5.

Unfortunately, the airbag must come out to fit the modified unit.

If anyone want any further details, let me know.

P.S. I was far from impressed with Incartec. When things didn't work out, they became very hard to contact. It took ages and numerous phonecalls/emails to finally get a refund.
"

It does mean a bit of butchering of the control unit but the theory is quite simple if you understand basic electronics.

If you want to give it a go, I may have a few notes somewhere. It has been almost a years since I did it so the old grey matter needs a hand :lol:

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote