Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st November 2020, 13:19   #31
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
Sure - for clarity, are you asking me why this happens, or where I get the information from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Both I guess. It would be interesting to know.---
Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
I had come across a table giving realistic ranges for various EVs some time back - I'll try to dig it out for you later.
Apologies, I forgot about this until now. THIS SITE is a pretty good reference point for looking up realistic winter ranges of various EVs. Click on whichever car you're interested in and there will be a section showing a variety of range figures, adjusted for mild or cold weather, as well as city/highway/combined driving. It's clearly marked when these are estimates for cars which are yet to be released, or actual figures for cars already available. Performance and other data are also included.

It's worth pointing out that the cold weather figures are based on ambient temperatures as low as minus 10 Celsius, so for the UK are indicative of an extreme worst-case scenario.

Another site/app worth looking at is A Better Route Planner, which will allow you to plan your route according to the specific EV you're driving and will pick out the best places to stop for a charge in such a way as to maximise your efficiency/minimise your charging time. It may divert you from the most direct route if there's an ultra-fast charger available nearby, or prompt you to recharge well before you start to "run low", as if you're driving a car capable of charging at e.g. 125kW and it takes an extra 5 minutes to reach that charger, but you save 20 minutes of charging time over a 50kW charger, it's clearly worth the diversion.

You can include a wide variety of factors to make it as accurate as possible - maximum speed, traffic density, weather conditions such as wind speed and direction, weight of additional passengers/load, how much battery capacity you'd like to arrive with, etc. It's quite well thought out.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2020, 21:29   #32
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Looks like the days of paying no road tax on EV's will be coming to an end! https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesmo...h=680cb5ff4407

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2020, 07:05   #33
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Looks like the days of paying no road tax on EV's will be coming to an end! https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesmo...h=680cb5ff4407
Article is stating the obvious I would say, also mentions possibly review of VAT on domestic electricity which currently stands at 5%.

Unfortunately the writers are again perpetuating the green washing myth that EV’s don’t pollute or have any impact on the environment.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2020, 08:45   #34
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I wonder if the squeaky clean Green doom merchants are in any compromised about the slave labour of young children doing the Cobalt mining 20 hours a day for less than a pound and then sleeping under a rock.

It seems to foster and then expound a lie is the quickest way to a self-satisfied holier-than-thou smirk. Are they aware the problem is safely beyond the home counties?
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:28   #35
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Is this a recent outbreak of human empathy, or were these same concerns sufficient to deter the purchase of any laptop, mobile phone, Kindle, iPad, cordless drill or other device powered by a lithium ion battery? Presumably, anti-EV consciences have long been equally troubled by the plight of children, families, wildlife and the wider environment in Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, the Gulf coast of the USA, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Angola, Venezuela and all the other places whose lives and health have been blighted by the extraction and spillage of oil for generations. Mauritius is just one recent example.

Nothing is perfect, but as the saying goes "Perfection is the enemy of progress", and moving on from fossil fuels to something less poisonous is a desirable outcome even if the climate is of no concern to you. Thankfully, progress towards zero-cobalt batteries is gathering pace.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:52   #36
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
I wonder if the squeaky clean Green doom merchants are in any compromised about the slave labour of young children doing the Cobalt mining 20 hours a day for less than a pound and then sleeping under a rock.

It seems to foster and then expound a lie is the quickest way to a self-satisfied holier-than-thou smirk. Are they aware the problem is safely beyond the home counties?

The crude oil business is one of the biggest users of cobalt! besides the stainless steel industry,It's needed in the Desulphurisation of oil. https://www.cobaltinstitute.org/desulphurisation.html

Old 25th November 2020, 14:06   #37
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Somebody mentioned to me yesterday that they think that ending ICE vehicle sales and moving to electric vehicles is just another way for the government to restrict/track our movements.
Apparently they will be able to track your car by where you plug in to recharge it.
Old 25th November 2020, 14:20   #38
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Somebody mentioned to me yesterday that they think that ending ICE vehicle sales and moving to electric vehicles is just another way for the government to restrict/track our movements.
Apparently they will be able to track your car by where you plug in to recharge it.
I have no doubt this will true, certainly if you pay by plastic etc.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2020, 15:26   #39
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post

I was reading that when road charges come into force the new cars will use automatic charging as to where the car is driving via GPS/4g/5g connection with V2X chips in street furniture, traffic lights, roadside sensors etc and on the most congested commuter routes will see higher charges in the twice daily rush hour times, they will know which roads you travel on & what time you drive on them.

Old 25th November 2020, 15:44   #40
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
I was reading that when road charges come into force the new cars will use automatic charging as to where the car is driving via GPS/4g/5g connection with V2X chips in street furniture, traffic lights, roadside sensors etc and on the most congested commuter routes will see higher charges in the twice daily rush hour times, they will know which roads you travel on & what time you drive on them.
Looks as if a lot of extramarital affairs will be conducted like this in a few years then..