Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st March 2019, 18:40   #171
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thanked 1,570 Times in 1,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Not really!
Yes, really.
Old 1st March 2019, 19:26   #172
Avulon
This is my second home

75/75

The charger that I have from lidl 'Ultimate speed' will charge a car battery at up to 3.8A - I notice the ctek charger from rimmers has a maximum charge current of 0.8A - It'll take long time to recover a flat 65AH battery with that.

For info that charger which was IIRC around the 20 or less when I bought it 5+ years ago is actually is still cheaper at full price (32.56) via Amazon UK than that ctek.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 19:38   #173
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thumbs up Flat battery in my MGF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
The charger that I have from lidl 'Ultimate speed' will charge a car battery at up to 3.8A - I notice the ctek charger from rimmers has a maximum charge current of 0.8A - It'll take long time to recover a flat 65AH battery with that.

For info that charger which was IIRC around the 20 or less when I bought it 5+ years ago is actually is still cheaper at full price (32.56) via Amazon UK than that ctek.
Flat battery in my MGF.

Today, after closing on four months without using my MGF ( due to the fact that the bonnet cable had become detached so I could not reconnect the battery ) , thanks to my son who managed to pop up the bonnet I fitted a strong battery today. Pressed the immobiliser button on the fob and twisted the key. The 120,000 mile 1.8K burst into life immediately. Soon settled down to a nice purr. Good engine in this MGF.

Delighted with that. Can now prepare it in anticipation of warmer hood-down trips. Will need some TLC on all four brakes and calipers first though due to lack of use and stored outside.

Used the Lidl/Aldi jobbie to recharge that MGF's battery and it soon recovered. Pleased about that.

See attached :~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My MGF 2rh78l4.jpg (58.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 1st March 2019, 20:15   #174
mss
This is my second home

R75 1.8 NA & CDTI facelift Saloons + R45 TD HB + Omega v6 Auto + Kawasaki VN750 & KLF300

Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
Yes, really.

You mean they are both approximately square, with a volume difference of no more than 100%, are a different colour and have different displays and controls. Other than that, very similar!

Now, compare it to a CTEK, and the all the differences disappear.

CTEK's could easily be mistaken for German quality MGJohn - they are that good!

It is nice to see that there are discerning buyers still out there - the fellow member from France (Dorchester2) being one.
mss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 22:15   #175
Dallas
This is my second home

2001 MG ZT190+ 2.5 V6. 2002 MG TF 135. 2016 Dacia Sandero Stepway Laureate 0.9 Turbo Crossover

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
The 120,000 mile 1.8K burst into life immediately. Soon settled down to a nice purr. Good engine in this MGF.
Sprightly little things these F's, its impossible to pull away slowly, they shoot off like rockets.
Born on the 4th July 2001 @ 17:24:11.
Commission Number 409.
200th ZT to be assembled out of 18,894.
193rd ZT 190+ to be made out of 4,023.
53rd ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888 Solar Red ZT's.
Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Limited.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 22:33   #176
marinabrian
Baculum Magicum

A few too many

Thanked 7,952 Times in 4,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Sprightly little things these F's, its impossible to pull away slowly, they shoot off like rockets.
Unless you rebuild an engine for one, then the person who fits the engine gets the pipes from the radiator fitted the wrong way around.

The result, about forty hours of work wasted and all because the person who fitted this engine knew best, after it was not only cooked, but run to destruction with zero mechanical sympathy.

Sadly a car which had been a solid base for a really good rebuild, ie the best original bodywork I'd seen on an MGF was systematically ruined by an individual who's aspirations far outstripped his abilities.

Come to think of it, I've never seen this man finish anything yet, I've seen an awful lot of partial failures, but never a finished article.

Never mind, at least I don't have anything to do with this individual any longer

Brian
Old 1st March 2019, 22:51   #177
Dallas
This is my second home

2001 MG ZT190+ 2.5 V6. 2002 MG TF 135. 2016 Dacia Sandero Stepway Laureate 0.9 Turbo Crossover

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Unless you rebuild an engine for one, then the person who fits the engine gets the pipes from the radiator fitted the wrong way around.

The result, about forty hours of work wasted and all because the person who fitted this engine knew best, after it was not only cooked, but run to destruction with zero mechanical sympathy.

Sadly a car which had been a solid base for a really good rebuild, ie the best original bodywork I'd seen on an MGF was systematically ruined by an individual who's aspirations far outstripped his abilities.

Come to think of it, I've never seen this man finish anything yet, I've seen an awful lot of partial failures, but never a finished article.

Never mind, at least I don't have anything to do with this individual any longer

Brian
Oh dear, what a sad story Brian, I won't ask who it was...
Born on the 4th July 2001 @ 17:24:11.
Commission Number 409.
200th ZT to be assembled out of 18,894.
193rd ZT 190+ to be made out of 4,023.
53rd ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888 Solar Red ZT's.
Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Limited.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 22:58   #178
marinabrian
Baculum Magicum

A few too many

Thanked 7,952 Times in 4,368 Posts

Quote:
Oh dear, what a sad story Brian, I won't ask who it was...
It certainly was a sad tale Wes, never mind though it's all in the past (almost), but I'll not be assisting this person any time soon (or indeed ever again), and certainly have no desire to be associated with him.

Brian
Old 1st March 2019, 23:57   #179
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thumbs up I can resist anything bar temptation.

Quote:
Yes, very true. Love 'em.

Not as nippy as my son's Lotus Elise S2 which has the identical power and drivetrain. That takes off like a scared bunny. Well nippy ...

By the way Dallas... will power... it IS possible to drive them slowly but, some of us can resist anything but temptation. Bit like owning a Turbocharged car and driving with it off boost all the time. I am rarely ever guilty of doing that "off boost" stuff driving. That surge is addictive and never fails to please.