Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th March 2019, 13:38   #11
bl52krz
Nil Desperandum
 
bl52krz's Avatar
 
Rover 75 cdt club

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 8,110
Thanks: 3,072
Thanked 1,215 Times in 969 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
We should just treat these arms as consumables with a 5-year lifespan. That should be longer than the lifespan of many remaining cars so not much to worry about there.

[COLOR="Blue"]No we should not treat parts as ‘consumables ‘. Why should we? The problem today is that people are putting up with everything that is thrown at them.It is a bit like wages not keeping up with what the prices are doing. Workers today have ‘backed down’ to receive anything that is offered. What we need to do is fight for better quality items[ in everything. Not subside down to the lowest common denominator. The way of doing that is don’t buy anything that people have found to be ‘substandard’. As long as people buy tat from tat dealers, they will keep supplying and selling it and laughing all the way through your bank balance. I just wish I had room to set up a fabrication shed/ garage to replicate some of the things that we need because of the rubbish that is being produced. It’s a pity we can not get our own industry to produce these. Oh sorry Forgot we don’t seem to have much industry left now. Perhaps when we have left the EU we may see a resurgence of industrial manufacture return. Can not wait./COLOR]
__________________
Great Barr, Birmingham.
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2019, 13:50   #12
roverbarmy
This is my second home
 
roverbarmy's Avatar
 
1999 Cowley V6 Auto Zircon Silver

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: East Norfolk
Posts: 3,753
Thanks: 275
Thanked 909 Times in 707 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]No we should not treat parts as ‘consumables ‘. Why should we? The problem today is that people are putting up with everything that is thrown at them.It is a bit like wages not keeping up with what the prices are doing. Workers today have ‘backed down’ to receive anything that is offered. What we need to do is fight for better quality items[ in everything. Not subside down to the lowest common denominator. The way of doing that is don’t buy anything that people have found to be ‘substandard’. As long as people buy tat from tat dealers, they will keep supplying and selling it and laughing all the way through your bank balance. I just wish I had room to set up a fabrication shed/ garage to replicate some of the things that we need because of the rubbish that is being produced. It’s a pity we can not get our own industry to produce these. Oh sorry Forgot we don’t seem to have much industry left now. Perhaps when we have left the EU we may see a resurgence of industrial manufacture return. Can not wait./COLOR]
As they say in the big house "Hear, Hear"!
__________________
Oil in my veins!
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2019, 14:09   #13
trikey
Premium Trader
 
trikey's Avatar
 
T4

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 22,029
Thanks: 4,437
Thanked 7,096 Times in 4,272 Posts
Default Upper arms how many manufacturers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
Yes them captive nuts are a right pain in the backside, Best attacked with a short half inch extension in my opinion

Mick


And a short ratchet so not to put too much pressure on the captive nut while undoing it.
__________________
Lest we forget..
trikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2019, 17:37   #14
mss
This is my second home
 
R75 1.8 NA & CDTI facelift Saloons + R45 TD HB + Omega v6 Auto + Kawasaki VN750 & KLF300

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 4,808
Thanks: 817
Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,222 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]No we should not treat parts as ‘consumables ‘. Why should we? The problem today is that people are putting up with everything that is thrown at them.It is a bit like wages not keeping up with what the prices are doing. Workers today have ‘backed down’ to receive anything that is offered. What we need to do is fight for better quality items[ in everything. Not subside down to the lowest common denominator. The way of doing that is don’t buy anything that people have found to be ‘substandard’. As long as people buy tat from tat dealers, they will keep supplying and selling it and laughing all the way through your bank balance. I just wish I had room to set up a fabrication shed/ garage to replicate some of the things that we need because of the rubbish that is being produced. It’s a pity we can not get our own industry to produce these. Oh sorry Forgot we don’t seem to have much industry left now. Perhaps when we have left the EU we may see a resurgence of industrial manufacture return. Can not wait./COLOR]

I would argue that the reason we are in this state of affairs is that most people will buy tat as long as it is cheap. This is why most of the goods/items/parts produced these days are tat.

Let's face it, people even complain about Rimmer's postage & packing charges but do not think twice about using their services for free.

We collectively are getting what we deserve because of the behaviours of the majority.
mss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2019, 21:01   #15
bl52krz
Nil Desperandum
 
bl52krz's Avatar
 
Rover 75 cdt club

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 8,110
Thanks: 3,072
Thanked 1,215 Times in 969 Posts
Default

I partly agree with what you say. The problem is that some tat is priced just a bit cheaper than the decent stuff. I am afraid I am a snob, in the effect of I will only buy the well known stuff even if it is dearer than other makes. My reasoning behind this, is that if you do have trouble with anything you buy with a ‘name’ on it, if you have trouble with it, you usually get it changed without to much fuss. I have never bought anything from Tingaling & Company, or an unknown company for that very reason. Some times but not always, it pays to pay a bit more to get the real thing rather than a cheap copy..
__________________
Great Barr, Birmingham.
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bl52krz For This Useful Post:
Old 15th March 2019, 21:39   #16
mss
This is my second home
 
R75 1.8 NA & CDTI facelift Saloons + R45 TD HB + Omega v6 Auto + Kawasaki VN750 & KLF300

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 4,808
Thanks: 817
Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,222 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
I partly agree with what you say. The problem is that some tat is priced just a bit cheaper than the decent stuff. I am afraid I am a snob, in the effect of I will only buy the well known stuff even if it is dearer than other makes. My reasoning behind this, is that if you do have trouble with anything you buy with a ‘name’ on it, if you have trouble with it, you usually get it changed without to much fuss. I have never bought anything from Tingaling & Company, or an unknown company for that very reason. Some times but not always, it pays to pay a bit more to get the real thing rather than a cheap copy..



My sentiment exactly. I have even been called a snob on this forum, of which I feel rightly proud.
mss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mss For This Useful Post:
Old 16th March 2019, 17:02   #17
macafee2
This is my second home
 
Rover 75 Saloon

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southampton
Posts: 7,462
Thanks: 705
Thanked 1,339 Times in 911 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I would argue that the reason we are in this state of affairs is that most people will buy tat as long as it is cheap. This is why most of the goods/items/parts produced these days are tat.

Let's face it, people even complain about Rimmer's postage & packing charges but do not think twice about using their services for free.

We collectively are getting what we deserve because of the behaviours of the majority.
Rimmers p&p compared to other companies has been high but following their reply to a thread I posted about their P&P, I did give them a call on an order and they did come up with a better price not only on p&p but on spares as well

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2019, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd