Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th March 2019, 20:31   #1
Rover600

Rover 600

Default Going to look at a 75 CDT Contemporary tomorrow – advice needed.

Since picking up a very nice 75 V6 tourer via this forum for my father, I’ve also been tempted to get a 75 for myself as well. I’ve been debating between the V6 and the diesel for some time.

Today I’ve got a call out of the blue and an offer on a CDT. I’ve very little details on the car, as it is through a friend’s dad –other than it is supposedly in very good condition with one owner from new @ 60k and FSH.
I will need to make a quick decision on the car tomorrow as I have first refusal and its being held for me to look at.

From the one exterior picture I’ve been sent, all I can tell so far is:

• Facelift
  • Copperleaf or Firefrost
  • Appears to be a Contemporary (as it has the 16” multispokes) rather than the SE
  • Apparently it has leather seats (they could be black, or at least not a light colour).
  • Rear parking sensors
  • No Sunroof
  • Build date is 2004 (although currently on a private plate, so hard to check).
I had hoped it might be an SE, as there are features I really want such as the heated memory seats and heated washers and xenons (I think these were only options on the SE?) – also if it doesn’t have cruise control I may be dissuaded as I’ve found this invaluable on long trips.

I was wondering if

A) anybody had any specific
advice or things to look out for which might make or break the deal (I’ve read the buyer’s guide and the spec check threads).

B) How hard is it to retrofit any of the SE options into the Contemporary?

Cruise control sounds like a major headache, but are options such as heated seats or xenon doable without a lot of hassle and a T4?

If it is a 2004, it sounds like it might be missing a lot of the connectors and fairly well project deprived.

C) Any super desirable options that are worth keeping an eye out for? FBH etc?

Obviously condition trumps all, and if it is a bag of nails or a mint that will have the biggest impact on the decision. But assuming it is as good as they say but missing the toys on my list, I’m wondering how big a deal it would be to retro-fit them?

Usually I like to do my own research and reading up on these things, but this one has landed in my lap and I don’t want to miss out if it is a little gem.

Off to see it after work tomorrow, so I'll be watching this thread like a hawk! Any advice or help very much gratefully appreciated!
Rover600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2019, 20:49   #2
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

A CDT with FSH and 60k on the clock? They don't turn up very often.

I'm not sure on the exact specs of a Contemporary, but I think it's similar to a Connoisseur, only with an all black interior. If that's the case, I'm almost certain it will have heated seats. It probably won't have a FBH (unless it was fitted from the factory - was an optional extra on the MK2), but all the plumbing will be there, as they never removed it AFAIK.
Old 17th March 2019, 20:57   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

PM me the reg number and ill get the details for you.
Old 17th March 2019, 21:07   #4
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Xenon lights were not standard on the SE

Retro fitting cruise control to a CDT facelift should be easy as all the wiring will almost certainly be there
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2019, 21:10   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
Retro fitting cruise control to a CDT facelift should be easy as all the wiring will almost certainly be there
And if not, Rick-Sta can supply and fit the wiring harness.
Old 17th March 2019, 21:55   #6
Rover600

Rover 600

Wow, super quick responses, thanks you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogbrush82 View Post
A CDT with FSH and 60k on the clock?
I'm not sure on the exact specs of a Contemporary, but I think it's similar to a Connoisseur, only with an all black interior. If that's the case, I'm almost certain it will have heated seats.
The spec guide here seems to suggest the heated seats were standard on the Connie pre facelift, but post facelift they were only on the Connoisseur SE. Likewise standard on the Contemporary SE, but I can't see them mentioned for the Contemporary.

I assume that must have been part of the cost cutting measures to downgrade the standard specification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey
PM me the reg number and ill get the details for you.
Unfortunately the reg plate on it comes back as a brand new MG ZS in blue - I was told they had just bought one (hence the sale), so I'm assuming the private plate has been transferred and an age related one will be assigned, but I don't have that yet. Frustrating as I was trying to check the MOT history!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45
Xenon lights were not standard on the SE
I think they show as an option on the SE, but not against the standard Contemporary - but I'm not sure how flexible Rover were with the options list?

Quote:
Does the ECU still need recoding to make it work properly or is there a way around this - I've seen mention in a few threads that it will work in a limited fashion right from the off, but to get it to function as factory needs an ECU tweak?

Thanks again guys, the wealth of information on here is fantastic.
Rover600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2019, 21:57   #7
Animal
Gets stuck in

Mg ZT

Iff you buy it

get what you want to retro fit and come to one of our nano's where we can help you to fit

Build date: Tuesday, 18th June 2002 @ 08:53:49
This vehicle was the 4th ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
Mean Machine!
Infinite Diversity Infinite Combinations
KAPLAH
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2019, 22:06   #8
Tim JMGRs
Avid contributor

MG ZT

If it falls through, I have an 05 2.5 V6 Contemporary SE with 44k on the clock in Silver with black sports leather, full history and an ex press car. Heated seats, sunroof, cruise, Starspokes etc!
Tim JMGRs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2019, 23:40   #9
Jay
This is my second home

Small....Far away

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,194 Posts

Bare in mind I had a 04 CDTi 75 Contemporary SE on here for sale with the Fuel Burner Heater retro fitted with 100k on the clock. It was Royal Blue with the Sports Suspension Pack with the 17" meteors and remapped to 160bhp and I couldn't sell it for more than £1000

Last edited by Jay; 17th March 2019 at 23:50.. Reason: Pic
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2019, 07:09   #10
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal View Post
Iff you buy it

get what you want to retro fit and come to one of our nano's where we can help you to fit

Or just have a run down the road 10 miles and I’ll recode it on T4 for you.