Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd October 2011, 20:03   #1
Canon
Gets stuck in

75 Connie Auto CDTi SE

Default £30 fine

The other night (2am) i picked up the missus and 2 of her mates from a concert and bringing them home on the m57 the visibilty was very poor due to rain.
This part of the motorway is always flooded when raining and even in the best of conditions the white lines are hard to see. Anyhow i put on the front spot/fog lights so as i could see the lanes safely. As i came down the slip road there was 2 police cars parked up waiting like predators for speeding motorists, fair enough. Anyhow as i came off the motorway i turned off my lights and was followed by pc plod who then pulled me. He asked me to get in the back of his car and told me it was to do with my spot lights. In a polite manner i began to explain why i had used them and noticed he was already writing me out a ticket. He was an arrogant ***** asking if id been in trouble with the police asked me my address, when i replied which address Liverpool or Bromsgrove he thought i was being cocky, i explained i had 2 address i live at. He then kept me there while he checked out the car my insurance ect.
Anyway im now decidiong wether to just pay the fine or go to court and argue my case of bad weather.
What would you peeps do?

Mods done:
Towbar - EGR replaced with SS straight pipe - Synergy 2 - Aircon resistor replaced with JMA
- Walnut and Leather Steering Wheel - Walnut Hand Brake and Walnut Auto Gear Stick - Walnut Dash - Sean's DD Unit with DVBT - 2.0 CDT Torpedos - Boot Badge and mk1 Chrome Plinth - D Pillars - Union Alloys - X-Power Upgrade
Slowly adding pre project bits and bobs
Canon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 20:08   #2
baconbuttyman
Banned

Personally, being the argumentative barstool that i am, (some on here may or may not agree ), I would have my day in court.
research the subject on line, see if there are any precidents.
I would have used my spots also.

be prepared tho bud, your fine can increase and incur costs to

check this out

and this, scroll down to fog lamps

Last edited by baconbuttyman; 22nd October 2011 at 20:15..
baconbuttyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 20:13   #3
oldcarguy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but for £30 I would just pay the fine, but it's annoying when a lot of drivers have them on in the daytime and get away with it. Its about time that law was rewritten, some of those modern daytime running lamps are brighter than old foglights.
oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 20:13   #4
mantianak
I really should get out more.......

ZT 190+ Saloon

If it's just a fine I'd say pay it. £30 isn't worth the risk or the hassle and money involved of taking it further.
mantianak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 20:13   #5
capese21
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 Sports Auto.

Go to court and say you switched them on due to adverse weather conditions.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069859

"Driving in adverse weather conditions (226-237)

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236)."
capese21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 20:14   #6
Brabus
This is my second home

01 75 tourer cdt,1973 Rover 3500S,,1974 Rover 3500 Auto,1998 216 SE Coupe, 1968 Morris Minor 1000

Whats the point in fitting front fogs to a car when you get fined for using them in the correct mannerPolice being the normal helpfull servents and not looking for real problems.Easy stats.Hope you have a good come out if it goes to court
121st 75 Tourer to be made
15th 75 Tourer CDT Club SE to be made
36th 75 Tourer in Zircon Silver Metallic to be made

Membership No 903

I was one of the 541
Brabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 20:15   #7
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Difficult one that,if there's no threat of points,its probably just a case of bad luck,and pay up. In the long run its more likely to cost loads more than the initial fine if you contest it. If there was going to be pen points involved,then would be the time to appeal. I agree though , injustice.
We are plagued with speeding drivers on our road,its a 30 limit,but at the north end is a national speed limit zone,so our street gets them accelerating up to the 60 zone,and failing to slow for the 30 zone.
been on to the law time and time again,not interested,tonight,a traffic car nearly took my door off as it went past,speeding,no blues or sirens.

Been you or me ,we would have had our RSS hauled over the coals
Old 22nd October 2011, 20:15   #8
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

I agree with BBM. If you felt you needed to use fogs, then you did, that is what they were made for, end of..

I would plead my case in court..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 20:16   #9
MN190
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190+

I think you are on a hiding to nothing

Cheaper and easiest option will be to pay the fine.

You can go to court and argue about the visibility and the officer will say they weren't needed and the court will then back up the officer unless you can get qualified witness's to back you up and an expensive lawyer.

I don't agree with this just stating what I think will happen
MN190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 20:19   #10
Canon
Gets stuck in

75 Connie Auto CDTi SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbuttyman View Post
Personally, being the argumentative barstool that i am, (some on here may or may not agree ), I would have my day in court.
research the subject on line, see if there are any precidents.
I would have used my spots also.

be prepared tho bud, your fine can increase and incur costs to
Tbh Mick, last time i got a speeding ticket which was in one of my vans it was on a road i cannot recall driving down during the period on the ticket. Plus about 5 to 7 people used to use my van. Anyhow i sent the ticket off to the court with a letter explaining i would take responsibilty as its my van but i would like to see the photo evidence. I never heard anything back for 8 months, when i returned from holiday i had a letter saying the court had dealt with the case in my abscence and i was fined £300 and 6 penalty points for not disclosing the driver (MS90)
I went down to the court to appeal but was told the lentgh of time to appeal had run out

Mods done:
Towbar - EGR replaced with SS straight pipe - Synergy 2 - Aircon resistor replaced with JMA
- Walnut and Leather Steering Wheel - Walnut Hand Brake and Walnut Auto Gear Stick - Walnut Dash - Sean's DD Unit with DVBT - 2.0 CDT Torpedos - Boot Badge and mk1 Chrome Plinth - D Pillars - Union Alloys - X-Power Upgrade
Slowly adding pre project bits and bobs
Canon is offline   Reply With Quote