Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th October 2014, 08:46   #1
rgtly
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+ 190

Default Screeching window....please help!!

Hi all,

I am having problems with the drivers door window on my ZTT. It started happening a bit last winter, was fine over the warm summer but now the temperature has dropped a bit it has started again....but worse!!

The window screeches very loudly when it reaches @3/4 of the way up and then often stops. I then have to inch it up with the button while ignoring the dreadful sound (and avoiding the strange looks from anybody within earshot!!). Obviously I am worried about burning the motor out and the window is now getting badly scratched so I really need to sort it out.

I have tried cleaning all around the window runners and applying silicon on the rubber but the area with the scratches is near the rear of the window and I cannot clean this section properly as the window never drops low enough to really get anything in there!

Can anybody give me any pointers on what to do next? Bearing in mind that I am not car savvy so ideally I need a dummies guide with pictures

Many thanks
rgtly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 08:49   #2
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Living on the coast mine get salt all over them. Silicone worked for me but I removed the door card and cleaned/sprayed quite liberally.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 08:51   #3
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

It is caused by swarf; grit and dirt getting between the glass and the stiff rubber seal at the base of the window. I used to get an old toothbrush and thoroughly brush this area out and hose the remainder away with a sprayer. It's not unknown for some windows to be scratched. Also lubricate your window channels with silicone spray. Hope that is of some help!

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 08:55   #4
whitevanman
This is my second home

2001 Connie SE CDT, 2002 2.0Petrol Laguna SportHatch

Have you run a knife along the inside of the bottom rubber? If not open the window fully take a standard kitchen knife and use it like a scraper along the inside face of the bottom rubber, especially along the front by the mirror.

Better if it's wet as then the crud coming off will stick to the knife and not fall in the door onto the glass, do short 2" bits for the same reason, wiping off the crud..Be gentle at first then do it again not so gentle etc.etc. You'd be amazed at the amount of crud that you'll get out..

Serrated edge knives (Not steak type!!) seemed to work better on ours.

However I would be surprised if the crud is the cause of your opening/closing problem but you never know.

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
whitevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 11:21   #5
rgtly
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+ 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitevanman View Post
Have you run a knife along the inside of the bottom rubber? If not open the window fully take a standard kitchen knife and use it like a scraper along the inside face of the bottom rubber, especially along the front by the mirror.

Better if it's wet as then the crud coming off will stick to the knife and not fall in the door onto the glass, do short 2" bits for the same reason, wiping off the crud..Be gentle at first then do it again not so gentle etc.etc. You'd be amazed at the amount of crud that you'll get out..

Serrated edge knives (Not steak type!!) seemed to work better on ours.

However I would be surprised if the crud is the cause of your opening/closing problem but you never know.
I haven't tried this but sounds like a good plan!!

As I said I have previously tried cleaning the channels and tried silicon spray but I wasn't sure how hard to poke/scrub or how liberal to be with the spray. Maybe I was just being too gentle with it

I shall get out with a knife and a little brush this weekend and see if I can finally sort it out. Thank you all so much for your input
Old 30th October 2014, 11:43   #6
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtly View Post
I haven't tried this but sounds like a good plan!!

As I said I have previously tried cleaning the channels and tried silicon spray but I wasn't sure how hard to poke/scrub or how liberal to be with the spray. Maybe I was just being too gentle with it

I shall get out with a knife and a little brush this weekend and see if I can finally sort it out. Thank you all so much for your input

Have you tried a long thin handled bottle brush.

Julien
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 13:05   #7
rgtly
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+ 190

Unhappy Oh 'eck!!

Ok, so I managed to get hold of a small nylon brush, ran it along the bottom channel quite a few times and cleared quite a lot of black scum, wiped everything down and now my window comes to a screeching halt approx 1 inch from the top and will no longer close at all The motor is just refusing to budge it beyond this point.

So now what? Do I just need to keep cleaning and hope that it will eventually come good or is it possible that something else is going on?

Fingers crossed it doesn't rain any time soon!!
Old 30th October 2014, 13:46   #8
mbrenn
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloons Conn SE 2.0L V6 (2001) & Conn 2.0L CDTi (2003)

As already mentioned ,get a can of silicon lubricant spray - worked for me, same problem, stopping an inch from the top!
mbrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 13:56   #9
rgtly
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+ 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrenn View Post
As already mentioned ,get a can of silicon lubricant spray - worked for me, same problem, stopping an inch from the top!
Thank you I have a can at home that I have used in the past but maybe I haven't been generous enough with it! I will will give it another clean and a good dowsing of silicon spray tonight. I just hope I can encourage the window to close. Right now it is a no go and sounds dreadful
Old 30th October 2014, 17:41   #10
rgtly
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+ 190

So I have scrubbed, scraped and siliconed it to death but it is still screeching and I still can't close the window Am just going to have to hope that we don't get any rain (none forecast!) and that nobody takes advantage of the reduced security overnight and try to get a garage to look at it tomorrow. Really don't know what else to try

Thank you to those that have helped with suggestions