Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th December 2020, 15:13   #11
steady eddie
Loves to post

rover 75 tourer / bmw e90 320d

In answer to the original question the length of the drawbar plus the width of the trailer or caravan and towing vehicle will determine the angle. Always remember the more you wind on the more you have to wind off, if you go too far without correcting the turn it won't be recoverable. A lot of time where you start the manoeuvre from makes a big difference to the end result.

Last edited by steady eddie; 30th December 2020 at 20:09..
steady eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2020, 18:10   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgies Dad View Post
Here enter the motor mover
cant fit one to my trailer and not appropriate to unhitch the caravan when doing a 3 point turn along a country lane. Thank goodness the gates to farmers fields are set back

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2020, 09:55   #13
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

All you need is an angled bit of tube to mount it on!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...UAAOSwt8JZ3kIM

If I remember correctly, Dad started with one on the caravan drawbar but later changed to a mirror arm that dropped into a tube mounted on his tow bracket on the car. The tube had a slot in the end and the mirror arm had a pin through it to locate in the slot. The mirror above the towing hitch could be seen through the interior mirror on the car, allowing the driver to aim accordingly. When not in use, he stored it (the truck mirror) in a couple of expanding clips in the top of the boot. It took only seconds to fit and remove.

Last edited by roverbarmy; 31st December 2020 at 16:50..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2021, 16:13   #14
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I think the tow car makes a difference too. When I had the 75s, and reversed the caravan I found that more turning of the wheel was needed to make the caravan turn, the saloon and the tourer were like that. However reversing it with the Insignia is a lot more precise and the ‘van moves much easier. Whether it’s because it’s a newer car and we bought a brand new towbar, I don’t know, but when I park it up after use it takes very little turning of the wheel to get the caravan to turn. It parks up between a horse box and another caravan so the space is quite tight but it’s much easier than either of the 75s were.
Old 19th January 2021, 19:30   #15
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
I think the tow car makes a difference too. When I had the 75s, and reversed the caravan I found that more turning of the wheel was needed to make the caravan turn, the saloon and the tourer were like that. However reversing it with the Insignia is a lot more precise and the ‘van moves much easier. Whether it’s because it’s a newer car and we bought a brand new towbar, I don’t know, but when I park it up after use it takes very little turning of the wheel to get the caravan to turn. It parks up between a horse box and another caravan so the space is quite tight but it’s much easier than either of the 75s were.
A lot depends on the distance from the rear axle to the towball. If the car has a long boot, it swings more when reversing but will take longer to actually start to turn. Think of the axle and the towball as a triangle. Tall triangle with boot, short triangle with hatchback.
Old 20th January 2021, 09:18   #16
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
A lot depends on the distance from the rear axle to the towball. If the car has a long boot, it swings more when reversing but will take longer to actually start to turn. Think of the axle and the towball as a triangle. Tall triangle with boot, short triangle with hatchback.
Yes I have heard that.
Old 21st January 2021, 16:55   #17
roverbarmy
This is my second home

I remember driving a hired short wheelbase Land Rover and trailer, thinking that a Land Rover would be the perfect tow vehicle. Talk about the tail wagging the dog! I did the same journey with the same load, a couple of weeks later and used a long wheelbase LR and it was like chalk and cheese. The LWB LR was far more stable. The SWB was much easier to manoeuvre in tight spaces! Horses for courses! I personally prefer something which is more stable on the road. (please excuse all the horse puns!)

Last edited by roverbarmy; 21st January 2021 at 17:01..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote