Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th November 2012, 03:50   #1
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default Lower Engine Mount OEM vs Others.

As some of you may know we or you may have had trouble with the lower engine mount on your R75 or MGZT and the difficulty in obtaining the OEM mounts and the cost of them if you have been able to obtaim them. I/you/we have gone down the road of trying powerflex mounts Red for diesel and Yellow for petrol with some good reports and some not so good reports of there use.
Some members have reported bad vibrations some have reported that the car is now smoother so the real reason for this thread is to try and gauge what and how the engine mounts you have fitted are working with your car now in the past and the near future.
Another reason is there is a new mount on the block so to speak from (roverlink)a chinese mount used on the Roewe/MG i am at the moment testing one of these and must say first impressions are very good no vibrations smooth gear change and also it is as near to the OEM mount as you can get if not better.
I am in talks with powerflex and Brown & Gammon at the moment with regards to the Red and Yellow mounts which i will reveal later after they have got back to me over a certain problem i/we have had with the mount,they have informed me of modifed or newer version which is in the process of being made and have also asked me to road test a couple which i am willing to do and report back to them and you the members.
But at the the moment we are testing three kind of mounts well four if your including the new OEM mount on my MG ZT
OEM fig 1

Powerflex fig 2 on a few cars both Red and yellow

Powerflex Red Diesel mount with a original metal and nylon insert from a OEM mount on trebors car cheers Rob.fig 3

Chinese (roverlink)Roewe/MG mount on my Diesel tourer Fig 4/5

Hopefully this last mount (roverlink) is going to be the one which will out last the cars life but we will see in time, please feel free to add your thoughts you have experienced on this subject and if you have any good or bad points on any or all of the mounts involved that way we can gauge which is best of the bunch cheers Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 09:57   #2
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

I replaced my OE engine stabiliser with a brand new OE engine stabiliser, and it really made hardly any tangible difference if I am honest.

The diesels vibrate, thats pretty much it. A knackered mount will give you clunking and excess engine movement.

Dont forget, the diesels vibrate more when they are cold, and are much smoother when up to temperature.

As for the powerflex, well, you have to be a bit special to fit one to a diesel surely? It can only make the vibration worse than a standard one!
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 10:58   #3
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
I replaced my OE engine stabiliser with a brand new OE engine stabiliser, and it really made hardly any tangible difference if I am honest.

The diesels vibrate, thats pretty much it. A knackered mount will give you clunking and excess engine movement.

Dont forget, the diesels vibrate more when they are cold, and are much smoother when up to temperature.

As for the powerflex, well, you have to be a bit special to fit one to a diesel surely? It can only make the vibration worse than a standard one!
HI Ross.
thank for your imput regarding the OEM mount you fitted and said you found no difference others have said they have their flying carpet car back when a new OEM mount has been fitted ? and also some membesr have said after fitting the powerflex they to have found an inprovement others not hopefully this thread will give us the insight to what preportion have found them ok better or no change.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 26th November 2012, 11:03   #4
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Ok it made a TINY bit of difference, but the most difference is between cold and warm engines.

Looking at the construction of the Chinese one vs the Rover OE, I cannot see how there can be any performance difference between 2 new ones. They are literally identical for all intents and purposes.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 11:16   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
Ok it made a TINY bit of difference, but the most difference is between cold and warm engines.

Looking at the construction of the Chinese one vs the Rover OE, I cannot see how there can be any performance difference between 2 new ones. They are literally identical for all intents and purposes.

Ross hopefully the (roverlink ) one will be either slightly better given the difference of the rubber insert makeup there are a few members including myself testing or have one fitted at the moment and i have found that the vibration is less with the (roverlink ) one when starting from cold compaired to the OEM one, also to be taken into consideration is if the lower wish bone bushes are in a good condition somehave split this will add to stress on the lower engine mount.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12544.jpg (127.7 KB, 1467 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12554.jpg (126.5 KB, 1413 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13243.jpg (132.5 KB, 1401 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13244.jpg (129.4 KB, 1393 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14469.jpg (133.3 KB, 1411 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Last edited by Arctic; 30th September 2019 at 00:06.. Reason: thumbnails enlarged
Old 26th November 2012, 13:30   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

If you are going to do a comparison, it might be worth also including the popular adaption of the Modeo lower mount too. I have had one on my CDTi for around two years now and no issues at all.

If I were replacing now, my inclination would be to try the Chinese mount, because assuming it caused no vibration issues, the built in limit buffers suggest it is likely more robust than the OEM unit. It is the lack of the buffers and extra movement, which causes the OEM units to split.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 14:40   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
If you are going to do a comparison, it might be worth also including the popular adaption of the Modeo lower mount too. I have had one on my CDTi for around two years now and no issues at all.

If I were replacing now, my inclination would be to try the Chinese mount, because assuming it caused no vibration issues, the built in limit buffers suggest it is likely more robust than the OEM unit. It is the lack of the buffers and extra movement, which causes the OEM units to split.
Hi Harry.
never seen a Modeo one but if yours as been on for two years i should imagine it would need no more testing than that but for those whom would like to have as near an OEM mount the (roverlink) looks to be the jobby and as you point out with those extra buffers it should be better and last longer, Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 26th November 2012, 15:53   #8
Germanlemon
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTi SE saloon

Posted this before but my experience again:- I changed to a P/F mount because I got the dreaded 1800rpm shudders in top (automatic) in the belief that the original was knackered. When I got it off there was nothing wrong with it but I fitted the red P/F in the hope that it was better - it was worse. I had vibration at tickover (never had that before) and it felt rougher through the rev range. Remember I'm comparing a Powerflex one with an original in perfect condition. I will wait for the results of Arctic's test, I'm inclined to think that the Chinese one is my best option.
Germanlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 18:23   #9
ProfDave
This is my second home

ZTT, Contemp Saloon, Duotone Tourer

I have the red PF bush; it replaced a dreadful OE one (in terms of it being broken). I have found it to be great. It is a solid flexible mount so it is bound to give some vibration transmission. However all the servicing and fettling of the engine, filters, fluids, exhaust etc have done allot more to getting rid of vibration than I think I could expect from moving back to the OEM mount. Now my water bottle in my cupholder in drive has virtually no ripples in it at the lights and when pulling off whereas it was quite shakey prior to sorting out all the engine issues.

Looking at the Roewe option I think it looks a better design in terms of where the forces will come so I think I will go for one of these if it goes again (simply to allow a quicker swap although in reality the red rubber is easy to swap).

If I was new to the situation and looking to do the mount I would definitely do the Roewe mount to save time trying to get the OEM mount appart which is the time consuming bit as it seems for most.
ProfDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 17:47   #10
boater
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I fitted a yellow poly bush to my 1.8 about 6 months ago to cure a knock when setting off.

It did cure the knock but produces more vibration on tickover especially when the engine is cold.

They are also a pig to fit!
boater is offline   Reply With Quote