Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th February 2021, 07:56   #1
RichardKnibb

MG ZT-T

Exclamation MG ZT-T Diesel engine will not start.

- I replaced the fuel tank fuel pump with a used spare.
- The engine started OK and the Haynes said to run the car to operating temperature and go for a drive to reset the ECU. Car started to smoke which I thought was weird and then suddenly cut-out. [U][U]Never to start again.
- The first issue I found was that neither fuel pump was working. I connected a battery to each pump and they ran, so both pumps are OK. No fuel pumps running = not go.
- I connected a battery to the front fuel pump and primed the fuel system (as I thought) and tried to start the car. No go.
- Checked the ECU in the plenum chamber. Drain hole was blocked and about a gallon of water was removed. I do not think the water level came up to the ECU but this was a worry.
- Put a new battery in my key fob. Still no go. Major problem: I bought the car with only one key so I have no spare to try.
- I gave up and got my breakdown service to take the car to a local auto-electricians. They could not communicate with the ECU so they sent it off for diagnostics. The Diagnostic company said the ECU was fine and returned it. Perhaps the ECU had dried out? My local garage refitted the ECU and could communicate with it. The car still would not start. They said the injectors were blocked. I assume they must have measured a signal going to each injector. I struggle to understand that ALL 4 injectors suddenly became blocked.
- I found a very useful video on YouTube. I removed each injector and refitted each to the common rail with the tips in fresh air. I turned the engine over and no fuel was sprayed from any injector. Perhaps the garage was right?
- I stripped each injector in turn and sprayed brake cleaner as indicated in the video and I got a 5 point spray pattern coming out of each injector. I spayed brake cleaner down the fuel inlet tract and had it emerge as in the video. I think the injectors are OK. I think the signal to inject is the problem.
- A friend recommended a company in Kent who can help with ECU's so I contacted them. They wanted me to send the ECU, EWS (white box behind the headlight switch console part of the immobiliser system) and key.
- They reported that they could not connect to the ECU and sent it to a sister company. Another incidence of no comms with the ECU? The sister company reported that the ECU was fine. A repeat of the previous situation – very strange! They said that the ECU was not water damaged. They then said that the ECU was “out of sync” with the EWS and that could only be sorted with the ECU and EWS fitted to the car and using some software called AUTO LOGIC which they didn't have. I don't understand this! An ECU diagnostic company cannot repair a BOSCH ECU/EWS – weird.

I don't really want to scrap this car so I would appreciate any help/comments.

Thanks in advance, Richard. 0753 606 1599.
RichardKnibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2021, 08:26   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Get in touch with Big Russ on here and he can sort it out if you post it to him or supply you with a replacement if it is beyond repair.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2021, 09:36   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

There are ecu repairers, and there are ecu repairers!!

I have seen a couple of refurbished ecus from the ecu doctor that wouldn’t play ball until reworked by marinabrian.

As Mike says, give big Russ a shout he will sort it for you.
Old 19th February 2021, 11:00   #4
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post

I have seen a couple of refurbished ecus from the ecu doctor that wouldn’t play ball until reworked by marinabrian.

As above. Get it done now. You have obviously been tipped off to get here for the best results. They weren’t wrong. One week and I bet you are back on the road.
Old 19th February 2021, 11:11   #5
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post

I've seen a couple from ECU Doctor with huge capacitors bodged in there and components jumped across looking very dodgy
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2021, 16:59   #6
RichardKnibb

MG ZT-T

Smile Mg zt-t ecu/ews sync issue.

As of today my MG ZT-T is running again. The car stopped mid December and it has only started due to the help from the Club.
I sent my ECU EWS and key to Russel in West Yorkshire and he noticed that the issue was that the ECU was NOT from my car ! Wrong VIN number.
The garage I first went to for help got a spare ECU to help them diagnose the issues. They gave me my car back with this spare fitted and sent my ECU back from where it came. Great.
Russel got all going but I decided to try the system with the injectors fitted to the common rail but hanging behind the radiator. One injector was showing a poor spray pattern. A friend who had a ZT-T had 4 spare injectors that I bought them for £40. I fitted all 4 new injectors and one was stuck open and squirted full rail pressure fuel even when the electrical cap was not plugged in !
With my 3 good injectors I went systematically through the 4 spares and found one that was a good spray pattern. Out of the 4 I bought I had one good one, two with a poor spray pattern and the one stuck open.

THANK YOU to all who responded to y original post !!!
RichardKnibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2021, 10:30   #7
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Great ending.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote