Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th April 2014, 11:24   #11
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

The left hand unit in the boot is the video unit, this will come to life as soon as the car is unlocked, or if already unlocked as soon as any door/boot/bonnet is opened (it takes a while to get going, so starts asap). The noise you can hear is indeed it's own cooling fan.

The Nav unit (GPS) in the side of the boot also does the same - coming on as soon as possible. If the car isn't started and nothing else is disturbed the video unit will shut down after 30 seconds - 1 minute. The nav unit will shut down after about 5 minutes.

It's common for the nav unit to fail to shut down properly. Interfering with the setup should only be done with the battery disconnected, and the battery should only be disconnected once the nav unit has shut down: that's if it does shut down. Remember disturbing anything on the car will restart the timer so it's important to open the bonnet and boot and then close the car door and wait for the nav to shutdown and only then disconnect the battery. I bet most non-rover garages won't know this: hence the reason for so many 'bricked' nav units.

If everything shuts down properly as described above then the problem with the head unit buttons is probably down to a broken Ibus connection somewhere, or one of the unit's is at fault. As the steering wheel controls seem to work then we'll rule out the radio unit for now (the one on the right in the wheel well. With everything shut down and the battery disconnected use some radio removal tools to slide the nav unit out and disconnect the two connectors at the back. Now reconnect the battery and try again, if this doesn't work then it's down to tracing the wiring for a fault and or substituting a known good head unit to try and find where the fault is. It's unlikely that the Video unit would cause the problem as the messages (button presses) are sent from the head unit to the radio and Nav unit only. The radio and nav then communicate with the video unit.

Hope this helps.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 11:34   #12
albertsmith

Rover 75 SE Connoisseur

Thanks for that, but when the car is shut and not used, we can still hear the cooling fan going constantly, is this normal?

Surely the fan running all the time would run the battery down.

Sorry Im bit of a novice.

Tracey
Old 20th April 2014, 11:46   #13
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

No, it's not normal for it to keep running, it should stop after 30 seconds to a minute after locking the car: I can't usually hear mine at all after locking the car. If it's not stopping then by all means disconnect the unit. - the only problem then is that there wont then be anything on the screen on the headunit. I don't know what effect disconnecting it will have on the radio unit, I haven't tried disconnecting it myself. Hopefully the radio will just continue to work normally.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button

Last edited by Avulon; 20th April 2014 at 11:47.. Reason: effect not affect :doh:
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote