Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th February 2021, 16:52   #1
biggles-1

MG Saloon + MG Tourer

Default How to dismantle the bearing from the power steering pump shaft?

I am refurbishing two power steering pumps (QVB101411 = HE 1205095/14 and QVB000280 = HE 1205095/22) BUT how do I dismantle the ballbearing from the shaft, pls see enclosed pictures. Any ones that have done this in the past and know how?

- Is the pulley bracket pressed onto the shaft?

- Is the shaft "even" that is, do not have an edge for the bearing to rest against/stop? This shaft does not look like it has a stopp.

- Is it possible to remove the bearing by pressure it along the shaft without removing the pulley bracket?

Looking forward to hear from somebody than have been their and done it :-)

Stay safe!

Last edited by biggles-1; 25th February 2021 at 16:54.. Reason: images do not show!
biggles-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2021, 21:25   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

I've not actually worked on one but judging from your picture the shaft would be a press fit in the housing.

There might not be a stop on the shaft for the bearing but if the inner ring is slightly wider than the outer then the outer can turn without rubbing on the housing.

I think you would need a bearing extractor to pull the bearing off the shaft. Probably the shaft is a fraction smaller in diameter along its length than the part is where the bearing sits.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2021, 08:48   #3
biggles-1

MG Saloon + MG Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
I've not actually worked on one but judging from your picture the shaft would be a press fit in the housing.

There might not be a stop on the shaft for the bearing but if the inner ring is slightly wider than the outer then the outer can turn without rubbing on the housing.

I think you would need a bearing extractor to pull the bearing off the shaft. Probably the shaft is a fraction smaller in diameter along its length than the part is where the bearing sits.
Thank you Colvert for your feed-back,

Unfortunately your guess is as good as mine. As I wrote I hope for someone that have actually removed a bearing or a pulley bracket from a similair shaft, to share their experience.

I have the tools to dismantle/install bearings but first need to know how to bring the pieces apart, to avoid irreparabel damages.

Stay safe!
Old 26th February 2021, 10:22   #4
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Even if you can remove the bearing, it would not be reusable so why not destroy the bearing by removing the outer race by cutting/grinding?

You would then be left with just the inner race which you might be able to grip with an extractor?
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2021, 10:49   #5
biggles-1

MG Saloon + MG Tourer

Dear Kwil,

Sorry, I should have written "How to dismantle the pulley bracket from the power steering pump shaft" instead of refereing to the actual bearing .

I have all spare parts including new bearings, and will not reuse the old bearing.

I only asked bevcause i wanted a confirmation from someone who actually have removed the bearing/pulley bracket from the same kind of shaft, to avoid damages.

Can you confirm that the pulley bracket are pressed onto the shaft or is it a guess as good as mine ?

Regards Nils
Old 26th February 2021, 11:55   #6
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Nils, just a guess like yourself
K
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2021, 19:54   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Take it to a machine shop where they have a fly press and get them to press the shaft out of the housing. Then press the shaft out of the bearing. Reverse all those procedures to re-assemble the unit.------

It would take less than 5 minutes and you wouldn't have to cut or destroy anything.

Easy peasy.---

Last edited by COLVERT; 28th February 2021 at 22:16..
Old 3rd March 2021, 21:39   #8
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

All that you need is a bearing, gear splitter / puller as in the photo, not too expensive and tool hire shops may have kits.

I've had a kit for many years but it uses a small hydraulic ram to apply greater pressure, not a bolt and comes with several different size splitters and a collection of legs and fittings to also make up two and three legged pullers.

Simple to use.

Don't be tempted push the shaft out of the flange unless you can be 100% sure that you can replace it in exactly the same position from the end of the shaft and be 100% sure it will be square with the shaft, failure to do this could result in the shaft end float being incorrect and, or you could introduce a wobble on the flange.

Ducati750cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2021, 17:44   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles-1 View Post
Thank you Colvert for your feed-back,

Unfortunately your guess is as good as mine. As I wrote I hope for someone that have actually removed a bearing or a pulley bracket from a similair shaft, to share their experience.

I have the tools to dismantle/install bearings but first need to know how to bring the pieces apart, to avoid irreparabel damages.

Stay safe!
Have you succeeded in fitting the new bearing yet ??
Old 7th March 2021, 13:16   #10
biggles-1

MG Saloon + MG Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
All that you need is a bearing, gear splitter / puller as in the photo, not too expensive and tool hire shops may have kits.

I've had a kit for many years but it uses a small hydraulic ram to apply greater pressure, not a bolt and comes with several different size splitters and a collection of legs and fittings to also make up two and three legged pullers.

Simple to use.

Don't be tempted push the shaft out of the flange unless you can be 100% sure that you can replace it in exactly the same position from the end of the shaft and be 100% sure it will be square with the shaft, failure to do this could result in the shaft end float being incorrect and, or you could introduce a wobble on the flange.
Hi Ducati750cc and Colvert,

Ducati750cc - I fully agree with you, it is not just to remove the bearing/flange! You have to be certain that you also can install them back properly!

This was the reason I wanted to hear if somebody actually had removed the bearing/flange from a similair shaft. I have the hydralic press and all the necessary tools to do the job and I have done it before. However the previouse ones I have done, have had an "edge" on the shaft to press the bearing towards when installing, to avoid pressing it to far. If I could leave the flange uninstalled, I would have something as a referens but would mean that I would have to install the new bearing along the shaft. If somebody do not come forward that have done the job on a similair shaft, I will have to measure the location on the shaft for both the flange and the bearing before removing them, to be able to install them again.

Colvert - I had planned to do the job last week, one way or the other :-). However I had a total meltdown on both my mobile AND my computer, that took MANY hours to resolve :-(. Happened when I updated the OS (Windows 10 and IOS 14.4) last week, and both died in front of my eyes! Horrific experience and thank God I had my back-ups. Today, five days later I am back in business but I am quite exhausted :-).

But if everythings works out for me I will remove/install the bearing one way or the other this coming week. I will write a post to tell you how it went with some pictures, so it maybe could help somebody else in the future.

Stay safe!