Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st March 2018, 20:53   #1
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

Default Been to view a car today (maybe known on forum?) cluch bite point seems low

Hi, not sure if it's just me being used to a toyota celica with a very light clutch and high bite point.

Went to look at a ZT Cdti today

Seems like a decent car but when I took it for a test drive I thought the bite point on the clutch pedal seemed very low, at first I couln't seem to select a gear until I realised I had to press the clutch down quite a bit more than I would expect.

I can get what seems like a decent deal on the car trading in my celica and I am pretty happy with the condition of the car, it has the usual problem of one of the doors not unlocking, other than that the only real issue is the clutch. I checked all the usual suspects, fuel pumps, rad fan, intercooler hose and all seems OK.

Is a low bite point common?

The clutch was replaced less than 20k miles ago, think I remember it including the slave cylinder, it had a master cylinder done twice too, in 2014 and 2015 according to the pretty decent wedge of receipts.

Seems to be a pretty well looked after car, not one of the finest examples but pretty good for it's age. The dealer tells me it was owned by an enthusiast who was a member of the owners club so maybe means this one but not sure. It's a black Cdti facelift, reg starts PK54 and from what I remember, the previous owner was located in Kent.
EdgarDonaldBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2018, 21:12   #2
ROVER2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarDonaldBalls View Post
Hi, not sure if it's just me being used to a toyota celica with a very light clutch and high bite point.

Seems like a decent car but when I took it for a test drive I thought the bite point on the clutch pedal seemed very low, at first I couln't seem to select a gear until I realised I had to press the clutch down quite a bit more than I would expect.

I can get what seems like a decent deal on the car trading in my celica and I am pretty happy with the condition of the car, it has the usual problem of one of the doors not unlocking, other than that the only real issue is the clutch. I checked all the usual suspects, fuel pumps, rad fan, intercooler hose and all seems OK.

The clutch was replaced less than 20k miles ago, think I remember it including the slave cylinder, it had a master cylinder done twice too, in 2014 and 2015 according to the pretty decent wedge of receipts.

Seems to be a pretty well looked after car, not one of the finest examples but pretty good for it's age. The dealer tells me it was owned by an enthusiast who was a member of the owners club so maybe means this one but not sure. It's a black Cdti facelift, reg starts PK54 and from what I remember, the previous owner was located in Kent.
i were looking at this but too far for me very high mileage https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...us=1500&page=1
Old 31st March 2018, 21:12   #3
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarDonaldBalls View Post

I'd say no, not normal. It has a history of master cylinder rebuilt twice - probably chasing the same problem. So, master or slave cylinder? I think one of them will need doing or replacing. Master - not a big deal. Slave - transmission out, bigger deal.

Wait for an expert to speak up, though.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2018, 21:14   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

If the clutch bite is low then there is a fault with the hydraulics, or an incorrect clutch pressure plate has been fitted.

I would be tempted to see as the invoice for the clutch is available, to see if it lists what type of clutch was fitted......when it comes to these cars, there are clutches, and then there are clutches

Either way I would be inclined to walk away from this one

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2018, 21:39   #5
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

Default Been to view a car today (maybe known on forum?) cluch bite point seems low

Old 31st March 2018, 21:42   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

It would appear there is an issue with the clutch, a good clutch on a diesel will be pretty light and have a normal biting point, budget around £450 to have everything replaced and haggle accordingly
Old 31st March 2018, 21:49   #7
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Looks like you have started another thread about this.
You've also had a reply from Trikey on you other thread.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2018, 21:51   #8
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

Thanks for the replies.

The thing is, i'm not sure it really is low. Could just be that it's lower than i'm used to and I hadn't necessarily got the seat in the best position.

I suppose what i did mean was is it usual for the biting point to seem low compared to other cars.

I had a diesel 75 a few years ago and remember it having a heavy clutch but don't remember the biting point being low.

As far as I remember, the receipt just said clutch and slave cylinder replaced, no more information than that and I may even be mistaken about the slave cylinder but i'm pretty sure it was included. the clutch was replaced in 2015 and the second master cylinder was done around the same time so it's had a few years but there was a receipt for bleeding and topping up the clutch hydraulics from last year so could be an on going issue.

I suppose seeing as it's from a dealer, I could get it checked by somebody who knows about such things and if it is a problem I could reject the car as not fit for purpose.
Old 31st March 2018, 21:54   #9
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
Looks like you have started another thread about this.
You've also had a reply from Trikey on you other thread.
Sorry about that, cat walked over my keyboard as I was reading the replies here and caused a whole lot of new tabs to open and sent me back to the login page. must have happened then.
Old 31st March 2018, 21:54   #10
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

If it needs topping up (Or has been topped up) There will be an issue, probably a failing slave cylinder.