Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th September 2019, 12:57   #10901
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,182 Posts
Default Cadillac Coupe de Ville ~ just like Elvis and Chuck had back in those faraway days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
Did you ever have one of those frustrating days?
Today, working on my ZT things went well, I removed the cam covers and resealed the gaskets, installed a new set of metal engine coolant pipes and continued putting the engine back together to finish the cambelt change.
Things stopped going well when, after installing the R/H engine mount assembly I looked at the remaining parts and saw the dip stick...which should have gone in before reinstalling the auxiliary belt idler and the engine mount.
Turns out you can actually fit the dip stick tube with the aux belt in place but just try getting the securing bolt in place!
Off came the engine mount assembly and the pulley, dipstick bolt in, reassembled the engine mount then....dropped the NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- hydromount nut!
I heard it go clink, clink, thud but didn't see where it went. It isn't on the floor, and an exhaustive search of any visible places it could have gone has proven fruitless. If it's sitting on a suspension bit, or somewhere out of the way that's not a big deal, but if it is lodged amongst the belt or pulleys that's not good.
Right now I am having some rum and coke therapy and tomorrow I will have another look for the nut with fresh eyes. If I don't find it the engine mount has to come off again to make sure it won't cause any damage. sigh*
Hi Rich, best to locate that missing annoyance for obvious reasons.. the well know Zod's Law always lurks. Had that happen and a strong magnet on a telescopic rod can retrieve it even if unseen.

My frustrations are far less worrying than yours. For some reason, when using MANAGE ATTACHMENTS all I get is a Upload Failed message

No problem with posting the message .. this one ... over on .org And attaching a series of images. Here's the message following this .org link.

https://forums.mg-rover.org/8776365-post1.html

Used my ZT-T to pick up a couple of bearings for my small trailer. The pair of bearings on one side making a nasty loud noise and feel rough.

Bought from Gloucester Bearings in Innsworth which is conveniently located only one hundred yards from a small repair shop I have used for closing on thirty years for jobs I do not fancy doing myself. Also for jobs I do not have the kit for like pressing out old bearings and pressing in new.

The Guy who runs the outfit is a very enthusiastic owner of big Yankee cars... and has a Triumph Motorcycles from around the 1960s. Today was a surprise and a highlight for this car enthusiast. He has recently acquired a Cadillac Coupe de Ville on 1966 plates. Red with pillarless windows and brilliant white interior. A joy to my old minces... see attached. Look at the size of it.

It has to be made to make sense... with emphasis on MADE in GB

Last edited by MGJohn; 20th September 2019 at 12:59..
MGJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 00:02   #10902
Rich in Vancouver
Loves to post

MG ZT190

As my late Scouser Step-Dad would have said, "What A Palaver!"
I did find the dropped hydramount nut, but it turned out to be a fluke.
I searched again this morning with no luck, so dismantled the R/H engine mount assembly again to see if it was amongst the pulleys, I also removed the heat shield from the lower engine mount to see if it was in there. No luck in either location. It had made a distinct clink, clink, clunk when it fell and I figured it had bounced off the engine front plate twice (clink, clink) then hit the sump (clunk). I searched the sump area and the R/F suspension, still no luck.
In the end I gave up as it didn't seem to be anywhere it could cause damage.
I searched through my many totes and bins of parts and nuts and bolts trying to find any 12mm nut, but no luck at all. 10s and 14s but no 12s. That meant a 20km drive tomorrow to the local marine hardware store. They have the best selection of metric fasteners locally.
I put everything back together and was just finishing up reinstalling the wing liner when something caught my eye next to the washer fluid bottle. There was the rotten nut! It had somehow managed to get itself to the front of the subframe and was on edge up against the front mounting bracket.
It's installed now and after a break I am going to fire up the car.
Thanks to those who read this far but I had to tell someone!
I do have a question though... I found a mystery plug at the right rear of the engine compartment, just below the VIS motor. I'm darned if I can find anything to plug it into. I am hoping that it is a plug for some accessory I don't have and hopefully someone can confirm that.
This vehicle was the 736th ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888 Solar Red ZTs

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 21st September 2019 at 00:08..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 06:57   #10903
marinabrian
Baculum magicum

A few too many

Thanked 8,773 Times in 4,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
I do have a question though... I found a mystery plug at the right rear of the engine compartment, just below the VIS motor. I'm darned if I can find anything to plug it into. I am hoping that it is a plug for some accessory I don't have and hopefully someone can confirm that.
I would say you have the wiring in place for the vacuum pump required for cruise control there

Brian

Sent from my Jupiter Ace running a 16k RAM pack and Chuck Moore FORTH
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 09:07   #10904
Rich in Vancouver
Loves to post

MG ZT190

Thanks Brian!
These cars are full of surprises. Happily I don't have cruise control. :0 so that makes the plug redundant
BTW: the car started and ran after the cam belt change which makes me very happy.
This vehicle was the 736th ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888 Solar Red ZTs
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 14:56   #10905
190+
Regular poster

mg zt

purchased pair of back plate assys for the rear of my estate because the abs was on .
when tested both rear breaks were said to be at fault. so im doing belt and braces and buying everything to do with the rear brakes and abs.
190+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 16:01   #10906
mbonwick
Loves to post

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

Took the paint off the new rear upper arms ahead of some remedial welding (unsurprisingly they failed the famous Mr. Kipling test pioneered by marinabrian).

I cannot emphasize enough how important it is that anyone fitting new Indian arms gets them stripped back to bare metal and properly repainted....even in the small area I've wire wheeled today, I've found several areas of rust under the paint which would only get worse once on the car.

Last edited by mbonwick; 21st September 2019 at 17:32..
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mbonwick For This Useful Post:
Old 21st September 2019, 17:21   #10907
Darcydog
This is my second home

MG ZT-T

Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonwick View Post
Took the paint off the new rear upper arms ahead of some remedial welding (unsurprisingly they failed the famous Mr. Kipling test pioneered by marinabrian).

I cannot emphasize enough has important it is that anyone fitting new Indian arms gets them stripped back to bare metal and properly repainted....even in the small area I've wire wheeled today, I've found several areas of rust under the paint which would only get worse once on the car.
Good advice - Iím thinking of getting a set to put to one side - so this sort of preemptive work is needed
Old 21st September 2019, 17:34   #10908
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,182 Posts
Default Another ZT comes a'visiting.

I used my ZT early to go and get some Flu-jabs. Along with my better half, we were pleasantly surprised to be in and out of the Medical NHS Facility within a quarter of an hour. Please about that as needed to get back in time to hand over some MG 18" Wheels before the buyer turned up. No idea what car he would arrive after his drive up from East Sussex to collect but as soon as I heard it approaching, I knew what to expect. I was not disappointed. A very fine example of the MGZT260 in Anthracite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0319.jpg (130.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0322.jpg (131.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0323.jpg (133.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0325.jpg (133.5 KB, 45 views)

It has to be made to make sense... with emphasis on MADE in GB
MGJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2019, 20:57   #10909
Eddy600
Avid contributor

Rover, MG

Did the timing belt and water pump on the 1.8t today work has come to a halt as the hydramount split into two upon removal and a big split in the upper tie bar as well
Eddy600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2019, 21:27   #10910
Eddy600
Avid contributor

Rover, MG

Fitted my universal eBay front splitter not totally happy with the fit but I blame myself for that the product itself seems good quality looks good from a distance only up close trying to get the bends right looks a bit iffy, also fitted the engine tie bar just waiting for the hydramount to be delivered now.

Eddy600 is offline   Reply With Quote