Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th August 2019, 22:23   #1
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

Default Changing standard speakers for HKs

I just got a set of Harmon Kardon speakers and a tweeters for a decent price.

I'm not an audiophile and have usually been happy enough with the factory fitted speakers in most cars I have owned but the Mk2 ZT has terrible speakers, they are worse than the 2002 75 I had in 2011 and the two ZS I have owned previously. They must have changed to the cheapest rubbish they could get their hands on for later cars.

I assume that the HK speakers without the amp and sub will still be an upgrade over the rubbish fitted in my car at the factory?

I have an android double din head unit but need better sound out of it, not looking for crazy bass, just something to make Ronnie James Dio sound a bit better, if it can be a little better than I had in the ZS, i'll be happy.

I'll probably put a little sound deadening in the doors while i'm in there, I have a roll left over from trying to quieten a classic mini about 10 years ago.
Born Friday, 9th April 2004 @ 09:54:49
This vehicle was the 14,388th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
This vehicle was the 2,491st ZT CDTi + (135) to be made out of 4,184
This vehicle was the 2,113th ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
EdgarDonaldBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2019, 07:20   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarDonaldBalls View Post
I assume that the HK speakers without the amp and sub will still be an upgrade over the rubbish fitted in my car at the factory?
Yes Adam, your assumption is correct. That's what I've done to my car.

Simon
Old 8th August 2019, 11:45   #3
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Yes Adam, your assumption is correct. That's what I've done to my car.

Simon
Thanks, I should have asked before buying them but for the price and ease of fitment I figured it should be worth it.

I see your car is a 1999 model so should have had the better (goodmans?) speakers to begin with.

It was about 8 years ago that I had a 2002 Rover 75 but I remember it sounding pretty OK but when I bought the ZT last year, I was immediately disappointed in the sound.

Hopefully if it was an upgrade in sound for you then it will be even more of an upgrade in my Mk2 with the downgraded (eurotec?) speakers they fitted.

They really are terrible, they remind me of a friends old 1999 peugeot 206 and are not fitting of such a fine car as the MG ZT.
This vehicle was the 2,113th ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
Old 8th August 2019, 12:34   #4
Tracker
Loves to post

MG ZT

I've also got a set of HK speakers waiting to go in when I can find the time. I've read that removing and refitting the door cards can give problems, so would appreciate a report back on how you got on when you've done the job, with any tips you can pass on.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2019, 14:04   #5
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
I've also got a set of HK speakers waiting to go in when I can find the time. I've read that removing and refitting the door cards can give problems, so would appreciate a report back on how you got on when you've done the job, with any tips you can pass on.
I had to remove door cards on the rover 75 I owned when I replaced two very badly dented doors, years ago. I remember removing them was very simple but getting them back on was a bit fiddly, I remember struggling with the door lock button quite a bit and the clips can break so have a few replacements at hand.

It will probably be a while before I get round to changing the speakers though so you may get it done before me.
Old 8th August 2019, 20:57   #6
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
I've recently swapped all 4 door cards from one 75 to another. So 8 cards in total.

Despite a christmas tree stud being best for top left, I found the white replacements I bought on ebay worked fine. I'll maybe edit this post with a link to them.
You will need a pair of mole grips to get the big black central clips off the metal tangs. (2 on front cards, one on rear cards) Depress them half way down and jiggle the clip off them. I think they only fit back on the door card one way, but look at the face away from you when taking off so you know how they go back on.

On the front cards, you only need to take the screw out of the top-forward plastic bit. The bit itself stays in the card.

Be carefull not to rip the water shedder when taking the card off. One member said remove the studs before lifting the card off. That is much easier said than done.

The plastic window surround that the tweeter is in also has a pressure pad in it on the offside doors only. I never found how to disconnect that wire so had to leave the surround dangling.

Putting the cards back on, look down through the escutcheon to see the top of the button, which pops up on unlocking, and then just lower it down onto it. Make sure the wiring for the window controls is already through the hole. And also the inside door handle. As trying to fish them out with the card on is nigh on impossible.

Pull the top of the card towards you slightly and look down to the central clips to get them lined up. At this point I should have said it's easier to do this job with the window open. Line up the clips and push from behind the 'pull handle' with your hand on the card itself. BEFORE pushing them fully home, feel round the edge of the card to make sure the studs are lined up with their holes, or they'll squish, break, and fall off.
Push the central clips fully home, they click when in place, then just push round the edge of the card to get the studs home.

As for the internal door handle, put the wider end in first and pull as far to the side as possible so you don't have much of the narrow end to push through the card, pull the handle as if opening the door, then with the heel of your other hand give the narrow end a sharp rap, or two...... or three, it varies, and that will push it through the card. That took a lot of trial and error to discover and I can do it quite easily now.

And that's about it. Replace screw and screw cap inside the handle and you're good to go.

Oh, take the widow surround off and put it back on with the card off.

Hope this helps.
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s

Last edited by madeupname; 8th August 2019 at 21:01..
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote