Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th September 2019, 21:00   #1
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Default Harmon Kardon Tweeters

How much difference do these really make?
Considering that l've just fitted some Pioneer 3-way speakers to the front which have made a marked improvement to the sound of the Harmony (soon to be replaced by a Symphony), would it be worth installing a pair of the HK's?

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2019, 21:09   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

For a ten min swap they are worth doing.
Old 26th September 2019, 15:48   #3
The Rovering Member

Rover 75 saloon

Well, l've just received a pair of the HK tweeters from DMGRS & l must say they are a bit of a revelation. The improvement in sound quality is plain to hear, even with the 3-way Pioneers running in the front there is a big improvement & they seem to have boosted all of the frequencies which may be an aural illusion but if so then it's a convincing one. The Harmony has never sounded so good though l will still be fitting a Symphony once l've got round to sending it off to Jules to have the SLE circuit fitted.
I've ordered a pair of these for the rear:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vibe-Slic...=2102910305011

A budget speaker for a bargain price which l'm thinking should bring the bass out even more. They'll certainly be vastly better than the original factory items anyway which becomes apparent as soon as you have something else in place. It's good to hear the various improvements in sound by adding each component separately l think, rather than just ripping the whole lot out at once. It even shows that the Harmony can give a perfectly adequate performance with a new set of speakers, but l'm looking forward to the Symphony on aesthetic grounds too.
DMGRS have reduced the price of the HK's & l would recommend them to anyone looking for a good value, easily fitted improvement to their standard set-up.

Old 26th September 2019, 16:11   #4
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

I upgraded my standard speakers and tweeters in the rear f my tourer, taken from my donor car. I totally agree about the improvement in sound quality and i still have to change the fronts over yet!!
ps not sure about the subwoofer though!!
pps i still have a Highline Alpine head unit (the one with TV/satnav) from the donor car as well as the symphony from my car if you need a replacement (i upgraded to a DD).
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2019, 18:00   #5
The Rovering Member

Rover 75 saloon

I'm not fussed about a subwoofer which is why l've gone for the bass speakers in the rear.
I just had a look at the Highline unit & don't think l would ever want to go to the bother of wiring it all in. l'm also not fussed with TV or integral satnav though it does look nice when installed. I already have two Symphony's also.
Thanks anyway.

Last edited by The Rovering Member; 26th September 2019 at 22:58..
Old 1st October 2019, 16:21   #6
The Rovering Member

Rover 75 saloon

I've just completed the installation of the matched rear speakers/tweeters & they've further improved the sound as would be expected. The only bass mod' l have performed is to cut away the insulation behind the rear bass speakers to open up the internal doorspace. It's a much cleaner sound now including the bass response which is a subtle improvement though l daresay the SLE-equipped Symphony will increase the response further. I've read about fabricating sealed speaker mounts but will make that judgement when the headunit swap is complete. The new rear units just squeezed into the factory cases & l cut away the clip surrounds from the rear tweeter mounts which opened up enough space for the new units to fit snugly behind the standard grilles, retained by the metal brackets which came with the kit.
Overall my outlay for the four speakers & four new tweeters was £80 (front Pioneer units from a fellow forumite) which is not a lot of money for such a great improvement. Even if l was retaining the Harmony it would have been well worth it.