Notices

Old 22nd March 2023, 12:02   #621
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
…………………………. 4 years ago I did something I had never done before. I bought my first house.

Absolutely no regrets in moving from the flat I was born in to my current location.

Nearly 5 years in Cornwall and I’m still discovering new places to visit, trying new foods and best of all meeting new friends.
And you really travel to maintain some friendships, well done Bob.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2023, 14:40   #622
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
And you really travel to maintain some friendships, well done Bob.
There is something about those English sausages.

233,625. That’s meet no.4 done.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2023, 14:24   #623
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool A creature of habit.

I have a tendency to only buy my food shopping from Tesco’s but occasionally I’ll go to other supermarkets. One I rarely visit is Asda. But a few days ago I decided to go to Bodmin and visit Homebase and Halfords. I could have gone over the bridge into England as these two stores are closer.
But it’s a nice run to Bodmin and I took Banana to give her a run. There is across the road a huge Asda superstore.

So having been into Homebase and Halfords I thought I would pop over to Asda and have a look round. Just pick up a few bits. So having parked Banana up at the furthest point away I wandered in. Collected a few bits and whilst wandering about I saw a chap whose face was familiar. But I couldn’t think who it might be. But it was nagging away in the back of my brain.
I saw him again, and this time he was with another chap. And he looked familiar as well. But I couldn’t think where I had seen either before.

I went to the check out and paid for my goods. Packed my bag and headed for the door. A voice spoke from behind, “Excuse me but is your name Bob?” I turned round and it was the two guys I had seen earlier. I looked at both of them and replied, “Yes, that’s my name. Your faces are familiar but I cannot think where I have seen you before”.
The tall chap said to me, “Your wife’s name is Val, and you live in Barkingside Essex.”

That blew me away as I still had no idea who they were. I replied, “That’s correct on both counts but sadly my wife Val passed away in 2010 and I no longer live in Barkingside”. They both looked crestfallen when I said Val had passed away. The shorter of the two said, “We used to live across the road to you, I’m Neil and this is Sam”. Well blow me down.

We went to the cafe for tea and a chat. Neil was a paramedic and Sam forensic scientist for the Met Police. They had got married and had moved in to a flat opposite us in 1994. Both really nice guys, always polite. What they got up to behind closed doors was their business. They never pushed that they were both gay. Both Val and I treated them just like ordinary guys.
They moved on in 1999. We initially kept in touch but then the correspondence ceased.

And now they are both retired and live in Liskeard, just a 20 minute drive from me. They too had decided to shop in Asda on the same day as me. What’s the chances of that.
I told them all about Val and why I had moved. We have now swapped addresses and phone numbers. Hoping to meet up in a couple of weeks time for a meal.
When they lived opposite us they had a bright yellow Skoda Octavia they owned. So I introduced them to Banana. They now have a diesel Mondeo Estate in Silver with personal registration.

When we get to meet up I’ll be taking some photo’s of when we went to a fancy dress party. Neil went as Cinderella, Sam went as Charles Dickens, Val went as a Jester and I went as a kangaroo. We shared a cab to the party, oh you had to be there to see the taxi drivers face. There was about 40 people in fancy dress, it was a 40th birthday party for a friend of ours that we all knew.
What we didn’t know was that there was a prize for the best dressed in fancy dress. And Val won a voucher for £25 for a meal.

So we asked Neil and Sam along for when we was going for that meal. All these memories come flooding back. Sometimes those memories roll down my face.

Thanks for reading, catch up soon.

onen hag oll
Old 30th March 2023, 14:33   #624
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

What a strange world sometimes, nice to be reminded of those great times with Val.
Old 8th April 2023, 12:51   #625
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool One good turn leads……………..

………………………. another.

So yesterday I spent 6 hours on Banana. Washed, clayed, polished and waxed. Today I cleaned the wheels and cleaned the glass, gave the interior a quick clean.

Then onto my neighbours car, she has a Ford B-Max. Washed the car and was going to clay it but having worked hard yesterday my back was really starting to complain. So I just gave the Ford a quick polish with some Meguiars spray. My neighbour came out and thanked me for cleaning the car. Then she said that I could have all the car stuff that her late husband had stored in the garage.

So we went and had a look. Wow! I shouldn’t have to buy anymore wax for life. I brought away a large cardboard box full of cleaning stuff. And in the garage was a modellers vice that attaches to a flat service by suction pads. I offered my neighbour money if it was For Sale. She gave it to me for free, just to say thank you for cleaning the car.
Her late husband was a model railway enthusiast, I had already sold all the railway stuff for her last year.
So there are loads of modelling tools there.

She has said that I can have the lot for free. But I will pay her as I don’t think it’s right just to take it all. I might even take her out to dinner.
I’m going to have a look next week in helping her clear out the garage. Lots of boxes with goodness knows what is in them.

In amongst the cleaning stuff was some tyre gel. So I thought I would apply some to Banana’s side walls. Blooming good stuff. So I used it on all the black rubber on the window surrounds, they came up a treat. The gel is by Turtle Wax.
Banana is really looking good in the sunshine, I’ll get some photo’s posted up.

But my back is now very painful so that’s all I’ll do today. Got a show tomorrow in Weston Super Mare, going with the Devon Coffee & Cars Club.

Thanks for reading.

onen hag oll
Old 8th April 2023, 15:58   #626
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Smile

Enjoy your day, take care, there's a lot of morons on the road this weekend and Weston can get busy. Stay safe 👍
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2023, 19:37   #627
Raven Black
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Default Thanks

Wish we still had the thanks button, always enjoy reading your news Bob, Happy Easter to you. Cheers Jennifer.
Old 8th April 2023, 21:05   #628
Matt_75
Gets stuck in

75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
But my back is now very painful so that’s all I’ll do today. Got a show tomorrow in Weston Super Mare, going with the Devon Coffee & Cars Club.

Thanks for reading.
Pageant of transport by any chance? I'll be there in my Dolomite

Very nice of you to clean the neighbours car!

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 (BRG)
1999 Rover 75 Club 2.5 (Dorchester Red)
1973 Triumph Dolomite (Honeysuckle)
Matt_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2023, 04:38   #629
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_75 View Post
Pageant of transport by any chance? I'll be there in my Dolomite

Very nice of you to clean the neighbours car!
I’ll see you there then.

onen hag oll
Old 9th April 2023, 06:53   #630
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Nice one Bob, you've made me realize why my back never hurts.