Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th February 2012, 08:34   #11
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Lewis View Post
Can the rain sensing wipers be switched off? I really don't like them much! I intend to use Rain-X on screen as I've found it very effective and rain sensing wipers will really mess things up I feel.
I read somewhere that - if you unplug the sensor behind the rear view mirror, that they revert back to normal manual operation. The auto position becomes an intermitant position.

I can't think why you might want them not to work as rain sensing, they are brilliant - assuming they are working as designed. Screen gets wet, they wipe until clear. As soon as clear they stop.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 23:47   #12
denis
Gets stuck in

2004 MG-ZT CDTi 135 Saloon in TROPHY YELLOW + Synergy Two-wow and an Aussy import RAV 4 2.4L

You could stick something over the sensor on the outside of the screen. Glue would have to be waterproof.
denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 07:51   #13
rossocorsa
Posted a thing or two

None

well mine are absolute pants only work correctly about 50% of the time I keep waiting for the chip on my windscreen to crack like that girl on the annoying autoglass ad threatens so I've got an excuse to change the screen in the hope that a new sensor will help
rossocorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 08:16   #14
kissifer1972
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Conn Tourer & Rover 75 CDT Conn SE Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossocorsa View Post
well mine are absolute pants only work correctly about 50% of the time I keep waiting for the chip on my windscreen to crack like that girl on the annoying autoglass ad threatens so I've got an excuse to change the screen in the hope that a new sensor will help
I think you need to check that your sensor is correctly mounted, they are brilliant. I had them on the latest shape Civic I had before going back to a 75 and they were pants on that. They would randomly wipe a dry screen and I never found a sensitivity setting that actually allowed them to work as they should. On the 75 a much different story. As others have said the only drawback is if you forget to turn them off then the next time you select reverse it wipes the rear screen three times on a tourer.

Chris
Genuine Rover Xenons - now removed and sold
Kenlowe fan
Synergy 2
EGR Bypass
kissifer1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 08:17   #15
barann
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon CDT club se

Quote:
You dont get a new sensor with the replacment windscreen
barann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 08:40   #16
denis
Gets stuck in

2004 MG-ZT CDTi 135 Saloon in TROPHY YELLOW + Synergy Two-wow and an Aussy import RAV 4 2.4L

Quote:
This system usually works well but takes a bit of getting used to. Check that the housing for the sensor is correctly attached to the inside of the windscreen. If not, and the sensor has lifted away from the glass, this will affect how the sensor behaves.

As Barann says you don't get a new sensor with a replacement windscreen and if the screen change people don't refit the sensor correctly it could make things worse.

Last edited by denis; 18th February 2012 at 08:42..
Old 18th February 2012, 08:40   #17
rossocorsa
Posted a thing or two

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by barann View Post
You dont get a new sensor with the replacment windscreen
forget that the ....
Old 18th February 2012, 08:53   #18
denis
Gets stuck in

Quote:
forget that the ....
Say again rossocorsa.....................................???
Old 18th February 2012, 09:00   #19
rossocorsa
Posted a thing or two

None

bad typing! 'forget that then' although having said that I looked on rimmers and the official screens seem to come complete with sensor or is it their bad description? I'll have a look at mine when I have time to see if it is a bit wonky on the screen or not
Old 18th February 2012, 09:05   #20
DennisA
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Auto Saloon

I have them and find them brilliant just leave them at 1 and they do the thinking, but mine's a saloon and understand it could be a problem with a tourer rear wipe. When screen is misty on cold mornings they can be a bit erratic.

I have heard that with the rain sensing on 1 the intemittent wipe time control (the rotary switch on stalk) works to alter the sensitivty of the set up, i.e more or less water starts them up.

I did try it and it seemed to be true but difficult to judge when it is raining and you have other things to concentrate on when driving!

Dennis.
DennisA is offline   Reply With Quote