Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th June 2020, 10:36   #1
LarryH57

Rover 45 Auto

Default Rover 45 Auto gearbox issue

I have inherited a Rover 45 Auto (Year 2000 W registration and 1796 cc engine) in good condition, however going for a drive the other day the auto gearbox decided to change to a lower gear while I was doing 30 mph. This resulted in engine braking as if I had braked hard. However immediately after I had pulled over, the car returned to normal and for the rest of my journey everything was okay.

Someone recommended that if the auto gearbox oil had not been changed recently that it might be the cause if the car has been mostly idle in the last 6 months and left outside.

BTW - I propose to get the oil change done in a week, so would appreciate the grade of oil to use and also the auto gearbox oil filter part number that needs to be obtained.
LarryH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2020, 19:52   #2
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Is this the CVT box? I had the same one in a 1.6 Rover 25.

You are supposed to use Esso EZL 799 oil. You may be able to find it from Mini dealers, as the same box was used in the early BMW Minis. I bought some when I changed the oil on mine, cost a fortune!

Apparently Comma produce an equivalent which is claimed to be suitable for the same box. Probably a lot easier to get hold of.
richw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2020, 21:56   #3
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Yes it will have a CVT autobox fitted, only the V6 45's have a Jatco.

As already suggested, start with an oil change first a scan of the autobox wouldn't be a bad idea too (in fact, this will be the cheaper thing to do before the oil!!).
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2020, 11:34   #4
LarryH57

Rover 45 Auto

Default Auto gear box problems

Thanks guys.

Is it plausible that condensation in the auto gear box oil could cause the problem?

Why would a scan help and what kind of scan? Some kind of x-ray or ultrasound?

Also which part number for the gearbox oil filter and approximately how much. As you can imaging knowing how much can help identify the part is the right one (as a starting point only). So if a basis search says £72 is that the wrong item when it might be for example sold for just £10?

Last edited by LarryH57; 11th June 2020 at 12:01..
Old 11th June 2020, 11:49   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryH57 View Post
Someone recommended that if the auto gearbox oil had not been changed recently that it might be the cause if the car has been mostly idle in the last 6 months and left outside.
Has the car been mostly idle in the last 6 months? If so, I would continue to drive it regularly and don't take any action for the moment. You may well find that it was a one-off glitch.

Simon
Old 11th June 2020, 13:14   #6
LarryH57

Rover 45 Auto

Default Rover 45 Auto gear box

Thanks Simon.

I have been driving it more in the last two weeks, as the battery went flat during the more severe 8 week lockdown period.

But thinking back to cold days of last winter, when the car was started and I engaged Drive the Rover just stalled. With the gear oil a bit warmer it would move off but still lurch forward sometimes. Come the spring this problem disappeared and I could start up and drive off immediately. The first 19 years of ownership it was garaged overnight and so it was never icy cold until I owned it.

Due to the above it has been suggested an oil change for the gearbox might help.

Mileage to date is circa 28,600! It was well cared for until my mum gave it to me when she gave up driving in her 91st year!

Last edited by LarryH57; 11th June 2020 at 13:58..
Old 11th June 2020, 22:17   #7
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I think it was this:

https://www.mobil.com/en-id/passenge...l-xx-ezl-799-a

And apparently this is compatible:

https://www.commaoil.com/passenger-v...ducts/view/582

I found five litres was more than enough.
Old 14th June 2020, 14:11   #8
LarryH57

Rover 45 Auto

Default Rover 45 Auto CVT gear box

If any one on here can hazard a guess as to why my auto gearbox decided to change to a lower gear while I was doing 30 mph, that would be of help.

Surely if it changed down like that at 70 mph, that would wreck the engine?
Old 14th June 2020, 15:21   #9
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

I have had three 45 Autos over the years - love them but hate that wretched gearbox. They do have a habit of dropping gears and over revving occasionally, and the cold starting issue is well known if they are only used occasionally. I have found that on a cold start, putting it in gear without touching the accelerator for a few yards and then only gently solves the situation.

I am afraid that "they all do that" does ring true in this instance.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2020, 17:56   #10
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I thought my 25 CVT was absolutely lovely to drive. The lack of fixed gears actually moving in and out of position made it feel so smooth. It went pretty quickly too, especially in sport mode. The drive plate was rattley, but this never affected the drive. So long as you only moved the gear lever when the car was still...but that is sensible for any auto isn't it?

My 75, with its traditional five-speed Jatco auto is much clunkier in comparison.