Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th January 2014, 19:00   #1
chas_1
Regular poster

ROVER 75 SALOON

Default Spade Connector

Hi all have managed to get myself a torch kit (VUB102160) for £27.70 with the postage but i want to also fit the Aux power socket at the same time.I know i cant splice into the Torch kit wiring but would like to know 2 things, the blue plug that fits into the fuse box has a spare place for a spade end connector is this a special kind of spade end? as i cant find 1 to fit and how the hell do you open up the blue plug to insert the spade end? The instructions are about as clear as mud as per usual for Rover parts

Please someone help

Regards

Chas
chas_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 19:05   #2
sytneraudi10
Banned

Rover 75 Jap Spec V6, MG ZT 1.8T 160

Well the missing one as you have found is for the aux socket. Well it goes to a relay which then goes to the aux socket.

You will find that alternator spade connectors fit and are the correct size and will fit the blue plug if you file one corner down less then a MM.

Reason is most come with some insulation plastic which makes them too thick to slide into the blue connector but 30 seconds with a file cures it.

Halfords sell them in a pack of two.

To open it is easy, the front part is like on a tilt so it does not full come apart like many connectors.
sytneraudi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 19:20   #3
chas_1
Regular poster

ROVER 75 SALOON

Default Spade Connector

All i can find on the Halfrauds website is red blue and yellow insulated spade connectors in 5amp 15amp and 35amp flavours are these the ones you mean please? and do i really need to connect to a relay? I was hoping to wire direct to the Aux socket live and Earth from the socket to the earth point passenger foot well a pillar kick panel

chas
Old 7th January 2014, 19:28   #4
sytneraudi10
Banned

Rover 75 Jap Spec V6, MG ZT 1.8T 160

I wouldn't know if they are on line. I went to my local Halfords in Huddersfield when I was at work and picked it up.

You can indeed hook it up, Rover used a relay just protect themselves in case anything happened. They also used the smaller feed wire for the torch to be the signal wire for the relay.

If it was me for an easy install I would just plug the torch loom in as is and then just wire the aux socket to the standard 12v socket in the center console. Much easier and then its protected by the same fuse and stuff.

As for earth any metal nut/bolt/screw that comes into contact with the body of the car will work as an earth.
sytneraudi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 18:02   #5
chas_1
Regular poster

ROVER 75 SALOON

Default Spade Connector

Sorry to bump this again but i am at my wits end with this spade connector issue,I have now bought two different types of spade connectors and both dont fit.the size across the connector is 8mm but the height is different to that of a normal spade end i have checked Ebay and Googled and cant find anything that even looks like what i am after.Could anyone help me with a link or even send me 1 i will pay the postage and a few quid if that what it takes to get 1

Cheers

Chas
Old 13th January 2014, 19:05   #6
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Chas, I presume we are talking about a female blade (spade) connector? Have a look here, come down the page to female blades, the blue ones have a drop down menu for size which includes 8.3mm which sounds like the one you are after.

T4 Location Map

Last edited by stevestrat; 13th January 2014 at 19:07..
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 19:11   #7
chas_1
Regular poster

ROVER 75 SALOON

Default Spade Connector

I am afraid this is not the type the width is right but the height is not the female i need looks almost square in shape if you look at the front of the blue connector i think you may get a better idea,type you linked to i have bought and now have 25 in my tool box to use somewhere

Regards

Chas
Old 13th January 2014, 20:06   #8
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

I deal with several electronic component suppliers through my guitar work and building effects pedals but I'm stumped, can't see anything similar, female spade 8mm square. All I can find are standard proportions.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 20:49   #9
chas_1
Regular poster

ROVER 75 SALOON

Default Spade Connector

Yea its a real shame as i wanted to do everything OEM.Make up the loom to include the relay for aux power socket its a real pisser when you are let down by a **** spade end connector.Think i may go and sulk now

Cheers

Chas