Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th August 2020, 14:15   #341
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

2004 mk1 Rover 75 1.8T Club SE saloon (auto)

Not sure if it's been mentioned on this thread yet or not, but I have a feeling that Project Drive cars were fitted with a lot less sound deadening to the internal floor, underneath the carpet. I've added some photos of the floor inside my late 2003-build car, but I'm certain I've seen photos elsewhere of other cars with the carpet out, where there was considerably more sound-proofing/sticky-mat fitted to the internal chassis - might explain why PPD cars sound/feel more "solid".. I know the carpets/carpet material were changed to a cheaper looking fibrous product in latter years, and some believe that the carpet foam is thinner in Project Drive cars, although I'm not sure if there was any difference to the carpet foam mouldings or not.

Cheers,
Karl.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CAR FLOOR - 2003.pdf (501.6 KB, 72 views)
The Mighty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2020, 14:23   #342
pletevl
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 cdti(rhd), MG ZR(lhd), MG TF(lhd), MG TF(rhd), mini mpi (lhd), Renault megane III (awful)

I'm interested in this too.
I heard that the Rover 75 set new levels in refinement when it came out.
My 2005 CDTi is not refined at all. Engine noise, road noise and wind noise.

My ZR has less road noise !!!!

Pete.
pletevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2020, 14:29   #343
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Quinn View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned on this thread yet or not, but I have a feeling that Project Drive cars were fitted with a lot less sound deadening to the internal floor, underneath the carpet. I've added some photos of the floor inside my late 2003-build car, but I'm certain I've seen photos elsewhere of other cars with the carpet out, where there was considerably more sound-proofing/sticky-mat fitted to the internal chassis - might explain why PPD cars sound/feel more "solid".. I know the carpets/carpet material were changed to a cheaper looking fibrous product in latter years, and some believe that the carpet foam is thinner in Project Drive cars, although I'm not sure if there was any difference to the carpet foam mouldings or not.

Cheers,
Karl.

Hi Karl

There was definitely a difference in the carpet mouldings (thicker and thinner foam)

I have not noticed the sound deadening you mention but will have a look now! Thanks for noting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6th August 2020, 19:55   #344
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

Default Change in sound deadening coverage to internal floor

Think I've found some evidence, thanks to pics from the posts of former and current members. See below..

Unfortunately, I have no idea of when this change happened (although, it's not exactly a huge change, I suppose).

Cheers,
Karl.

EDIT: The attached PDF (of the same images) probably illustrates the differences a little better..

Last edited by The Mighty Quinn; 6th August 2020 at 20:40..
Old 7th August 2020, 09:55   #345
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

Quote:
Originally Posted by pletevl View Post
I'm interested in this too.
I heard that the Rover 75 set new levels in refinement when it came out.
My 2005 CDTi is not refined at all. Engine noise, road noise and wind noise.

My ZR has less road noise !!!!

Pete.
Is it your tyres maybe, I had wanli tyres once. Never again, sounded like the wheel bearings had gone
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2020, 23:22   #346
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

Default Is this another one?

I noticed when trawling through a scrapped PPD car that there was an additional sound deadening mat stuck along the leading edge of the boot floor (not fitted in mine). The mat was backed with a loose, multi-coloured material and was stuck in place with two sections of black, sticky-back foam (near the rear seat-back). The part looked OEM and appears to resemble the smaller of the two sound mats on the OEM parts schematics (item 11 here):
https://allbrit.de/UNI.cfm?PAGE=741029&SPRACHE=EN

Would this be the parcel shelf insulation that folks have often talked about having been deleted from the later cars? My car is late 2003 and has the insulation in the parcel shelf itself But this mat is located directly below the parcel shelf on the boot floor..

My OEM under-seat sound panel seems to have an additional section that extends out into the boot floor where the separate mat was fitted in the PPD car. Maybe there was a change mid-production to combine the two separate mats into one?
I've tucked the additional (PPD?) mat up under the extended section of my OEM mat for now.

Not a biggie by any means, but information (particularly from PPD owners) welcome

Cheers,
Karl.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PPD BOOT MAT.pdf (342.6 KB, 42 views)
Old 12th September 2020, 07:44   #347
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Hi Karl

There was definitely a difference in the carpet mouldings (thicker and thinner foam)

I have not noticed the sound deadening you mention but will have a look now! Thanks for noting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I changed the Mk2 carpet for a Mk1 in my ZT, didn't necessarily notice whether the foam was any difference but the carpet certainly is better.

Something else i've been meaning to question is when the height adjustment/lumbar support disappeared from the passenger seat?

I have the launch brochure for the Mk2 ZT and the text refers to height adjustable passenger seat, although when you read the spec it only refers to 4 way adjustment, but does have lumbar support. I have a May 04 build car but it has neither
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2020, 10:44   #348
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Passenger seat height adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
Something else i've been meaning to question is when the height adjustment/lumbar support disappeared from the passenger seat?
Hi Kelvin,

After studying my brochures in great detail, I think I have the correct information for you.

Height adjustment and lumbar support are separate features.

Passenger seat height adjustment (manual) was a factory option until the introduction of the facelift Rover cars when it was discontinued (except for MG models which had electric).

Passenger seat lumbar adjustment was only available on Connoisseur & SE as standard until the facelift when it was standard on Connoisseur SE and Contemporary SE only. On MGs it was standard across the range.

I can't find a clear indication that Rovers ever had electrically operated passenger seat height adjustment available. Please prove me wrong!

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 13th September 2020 at 17:08.. Reason: Major revision!
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2020, 22:42   #349
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
I changed the Mk2 carpet for a Mk1 in my ZT, didn't necessarily notice whether the foam was any difference but the carpet certainly is better.

I have the launch brochure for the Mk2 ZT and the text refers to height adjustable passenger seat, although when you read the spec it only refers to 4 way adjustment, but does have lumbar support. I have a May 04 build car but it has neither

My PPD (twin-piped + four stitch panels) memory leather (Connie?) seats have lumbar adjustment on the passenger seat - but no height adjust.

Not sure if height adjust was ever a standard fitment on the passenger electric seats, but the function can be added by getting a LHD driver seat switch pack and making some adjustments to the seat and the wiring (Rick-Sta has done this, I believe).

The earlier carpets definitely have a nicer finish to them (I've done this swap also), but can't say I noticed any obvious difference to the foam moulding when changing them out..

Cheers,
Karl.
Old 13th September 2020, 07:04   #350
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Not sure if height adjust was ever a standard fitment on the passenger electric seats ...
It was Karl, details given in my post immediately before yours.
Quote:
... but the function can be added by getting a LHD driver seat switch pack and making some adjustments to the seat ...
Unfortunately it's not as simple as that. Height adjustable seats have an additional piece of frame on which the rise & fall motor is mounted (if you have a look at your existing seats you'll see).

Simon