Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th December 2021, 23:54   #11
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
Gates would disagree with your everlasting belt theory.
This is a copy and paste of their response, when I asked this question:-

They responded as follows:

Hi Robert
Sorry for the delay, the shelf life for the Timing Belts is 8 years prior to fitting, then you have a warranty period of 2 years or 60,000 miles, hope this helps.

GATES POWER TRANSMISSION
Tinwald Downs Road
Heathhall
Dumfries
DG1 1TS
UNITED KINGDOM

That does give an expected life from manufacture of 18-20 years.
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2021, 00:48   #12
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Hi Robert
Sorry for the delay, the shelf life for the Timing Belts is 8 years prior to fitting, then you have a warranty period of 2 years or 60,000 miles, hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
I would have thought the above is which ever comes first, the 2trs or the 60,000 miles.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2021, 08:26   #13
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
I would have thought the above is which ever comes first, the 2trs or the 60,000 miles.

Steve - I agree but only in terms of the warranty. Normally a manufacturer would expect the belts to last around 10+ years after fitting. If the shelf life is 8 years then I would make to total expected life to be 18+ years.
Old 15th December 2021, 09:55   #14
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Shelf life, service life and a warranty period are three separate things.

Shelf life is 8 years.
Service life is 6 years or 90,000 miles, whichever comes soonest.
Warranty is 2 years and 60,000 miles, whichever comes soonest.

That doesn't give 18-20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
[*]No, but shelf life is not a concern. The belts will last 20 years in service so even longer basking in the luxury of a moderate and stable temperature shelf.
Therefore, the manufacturer of the belts, and the manufacturer's maintenance schedule, does not agree with the above claim.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2021, 12:14   #15
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
Shelf life, service life and a warranty period are three separate things.

Shelf life is 8 years.
Service life is 6 years or 90,000 miles, whichever comes soonest.
Warranty is 2 years and 60,000 miles, whichever comes soonest.

That doesn't give 18-20 years.

Therefore, the manufacturer of the belts, and the manufacturer's maintenance schedule, does not agree with the above claim.

I think you will find that the in-service life of most belts is around 10+ years.

The MGR recommended replacement interval for the belt kit is 6 years, which is not the same as its likely service life. The car manufacturer has to be conservative in setting the service schedule.

Just to be clear - I am not suggesting that belts should not be changed for 20 years. It is statistically possible that a belt may only last one year. Equally, one may last 20 years. Each person has to decide their approach to risk. I used to have the belts on my V6 Omega changed religiously every 6 years. The current kit has been on 7 years but it will not be replaced. If the worst should happen the car will just get towed to the nearest scrappy as it is now 22 years old and I am intending to retire it at 23.

Last edited by MSS; 15th December 2021 at 12:38..
Old 15th December 2021, 14:17   #16
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Depending on the manufacturer and/or engine type, it usually ranges from 40,000 to 100,000 miles, and from four to six years.

Many, manufacturers (such as Vauxhall) have different intervals for different engines.

Regarding the recommended service interval set on the KV6 engine, it interesting to see what George Houghton (ex Rover Group Engine Development Manager) has to say.
His team was responsible for the KV6 development under the R40 programme, that experienced premature cambelt failures.
It was identified as a combination of excessive heat under the covers and cam torsional vibration.
Naturally, you cannot eliminate vibration totally, but his brief was to engineer out this problem, to achieve an acceptable level of a target service interval of 90,000 miles or 6 years, whichever is the soonest.

I agree that there always be a safety margin built in, but anyone stating that they don't have a shelf life and last for 20 years is incorrect.

The limits are set from an engineering point of view, rather than dreamt up by a marketing department, as some posters would lead you to believe.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2021, 19:35   #17
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Fortuna View Post
Am concerned that there is no mention of a water pump ..
Hi Tim,

Changing the water pump as pre-emptive maintenance could lead you to fall on your sword. The factory fitted item is good quality and durable; many aftermarket replacements are not. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Simon
Old 15th December 2021, 22:51   #18
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Fortuna View Post
Am concerned that there is no mention of a water pump and rollers.

Have you bought a kit or just a primary belt, OP?

What about the inter-cam belts?
no worries there. the gates belt completes the front belts setup. i did all belts front and rear plus all other components 33k miles ago . i was lucky enough to get hold of an original " new old stock " kv6 waterpump. even though i have one new one from mat and 2 from rimmers to choose from , the original stays on. i regret doing the rear belts last time, to me it was a waste of time and they will be left until next time unless i find anything untowards when i do the job. i have a new gates tensioner to fit and the roller pivot tensioner and the other idler pulley , plus cam caps , so all is set to go. its just the weather holding me back. the rear belts have a much kinder life with no twisting over idler bearing pulleys and come to think of it have not heard of rear belt failure as yet reported but im sure there may have been at some point. i have also got spare cambelt covers which i intend to put belt inspection covers into when i do the refitting, im still mulling over how to do this , but it wont do any harm to have them. all seems fairly quiet beltwise on the engine at the moment , but i will certainly be intested to see what parts have worn well or not when she is stripped down. ...

Last edited by xsport; 16th December 2021 at 18:00..
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2021, 23:16   #19
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

The eight years shelf life is given but that doesn't mean the belt is in the same condition at the end of the eight years. It has eight years of deterioration in the materials it's made of.---Then you get you two years in use.

Total, ten years of, hopefully, reliable use.

18 years !!!!!!!!---Like playing Russian roulette with your engine.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2021, 00:28   #20
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
The eight years shelf life is given but that doesn't mean the belt is in the same condition at the end of the eight years. It has eight years of deterioration in the materials it's made of.---Then you get you two years in use.

Total, ten years of, hopefully, reliable use.

18 years !!!!!!!!---Like playing Russian roulette with your engine.---
should always thoroughly inspect the belt prior to fitting, if in any doubt cut through it to check the rubber to be sure.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote