Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st December 2021, 10:34   #51
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
I note quite a few if not all the Landrover range got through be it a Freelander, disco, or range rover.

Note also that the drivers of the Defenders drove slowly with little or no bow wave. They do have large ground clearance on their side though being built for the job.

Simon
Old 31st December 2021, 10:55   #52
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

The problem with common sense, is that it doesnt exist (touched on above). Common sense is learned sense. Either learned personally or from.others.

People talk of hydro locking, we know how and why it happens, because someone told us, or we experience it, and we were interested enough to.listen. how many of those have heard of the phrase hydro locking? I bet before those stalled engines, none of them until the recovery driver or bystander explained it.

The only 'experience' most will be aware of from some motoring show erroneously discussing creating a bow wave and it will be fine, hence those speeding through. Water is soft, so hitting it at speed will not RIP the bumper or undertray off. No thoughts on air intakes, sensors or cats (something I had forgotten).

Now they know, now they have learned good sense. Who pays for this ignorance though is another argument, and one that may show up the better or more considerate insurance company rather than the cheapest.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2021, 11:46   #53
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
So I know, next time I’m facing a journey home through the flooded lanes in Wiltshire what is the safe wading depth of a ZT/75?

The engine intake sits in the wing about top of wheel height. .........
Unless the shannon tube has disintegrated, as many (most?) do over time. In which case the air intake is likely to be much lower

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2021, 12:29   #54
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Oh dear! More drivers still gunning it I noticed on some of the other vids that some drivers followed the path of the stream instead of the road

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2021, 17:07   #55
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
Unless the shannon tube has disintegrated, as many (most?) do over time. In which case the air intake is likely to be much lower

Cliff
Yeah, good point. Replaced mine (looked like a slinky) as soon as I got the car with 70mm dia neoprene air-duct flexible tube and a couple of jubilee clips - that's how I know where the intake sits. If that's gone the air intake is only just above ground clearance.
Old 31st December 2021, 19:14   #56
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
So I know, next time I’m facing a journey home through the flooded lanes in Wiltshire what is the safe wading depth of a ZT/75?

The engine intake sits in the wing about top of wheel height. The Ecu in the plenum is probably a bit lower. Other sensors even lower.

Any more than ground clearance (155mm) taken quite slowly is risking it? What would turn you back if the journey was important?
Not covering the catalyser I guess.---However it's much more speed involved. My diesel will run VERY slowly just ticking over in first.---Some of those clowns at that ford opened their doors and gallons of water poured out.---

Bigger bow waves than the Queen Mary.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2022, 19:44   #57
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
You cannot teach "common sense". Common sense is based on your previous experiences in life.
That does not stop you teaching the effect of going through flooded roads though.

Should one really expect to be taught, or indeed need to be taught the proper decision to make in every single circumstance which crops up on life? Obviously that would be an impossibly wide ranging task, so instead we should be able to use basic common sense - weigh things up, understand the risks and the possible consequences and do the right thing.

Trouble is, common sense seems to no longer be on the curriculum, people always think if they make a wrong decision, someone else will pay for their stupidity. Because people became so lacking in common sense, they introduced and made mandatory - Risk Assessment forms for every single job, just to force people to think and deal with the claim culture.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2022, 22:08   #58
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
The problem with common sense, is that it doesnt exist (touched on above). Common sense is learned sense. Either learned personally or from.others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Should one really expect to be taught, or indeed need to be taught the proper decision to make in every single circumstance which crops up on life? Obviously that would be an impossibly wide ranging task, so instead we should be able to use basic common sense - weigh things up, understand the risks and the possible consequences and do the right thing.

I agree with both of the above. This learning, or the ability to continuously learn to make the right decisions, is something that I believe is inherent in the way each person is brought up. Hence my earlier comments in a post.
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2022, 11:18   #59
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

[QUOTE=HarryM1BYT;2914652d we should be able to use basic common sense - weigh things up, understand the risks and the possible consequences and do the right thing.

.[/QUOTE]

There is no such thing as basic common sense. Common sense is based on your previous experiences of the particular situation (or something similar) or you have read about it or someone has talked to you about the situation.
You cannot wiegh things up, do risk assessments or understand the consequences unless you have some knowledge of the situation or something similar.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2022, 11:52   #60
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I've just checked with my daughter who has been driving for just under 2 years what she would do in her Twintop under these circumstances. Her response was interesting as follows:

'I went up to a flood on a road in Colchester couple of weeks ago. I couldn't see how deep the water was so turned around and took a different route'

Parenting success, me thinks!
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote