Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th January 2022, 18:12   #1
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Default A question for any Nikon camera experts.

My wife is wanting to waste a few hundred pounds on a new DSLR camera that will be better spent getting our Connie back on the road !

My issue is that we have have a Nikon D3000 camera that we've had a good few years that came with a VR 18 - 55mm lens ( the only lens we have as spare lenses cost the same as a suspension rebuild or sill welding ) but the lens will no longer auto focus and won't allow the camera to take shots but will work when switched to manual !

I therefore suspect the motor in the lens is u/s but the manual pictures don't seem to have the best quality and are a little out of focus ? I don't want another camera as the camera itself appears good.

Any words of wisdom
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2022, 18:22   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Coolcat is your man for the answer on this, I suspect from what you have described that it is the lens thats at fault.
Old 29th January 2022, 18:29   #3
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

I have a spare 18-55mm lens for a Nikon. If you want it pm me your address and I’ll send it on. I don’t use it as I have a tendency to use either my ultra wide angle or my 300mm lens.

I have a second one as I have two Nikon D5000 camera’s.

233,320. New rear tyres on order for BBB.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 29th January 2022 at 18:48.. Reason: Additional information
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2022, 19:00   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
My wife is wanting to waste a few hundred pounds on a new DSLR camera that will be better spent getting our Connie back on the road !

My issue is that we have have a Nikon D3000 camera that we've had a good few years that came with a VR 18 - 55mm lens ( the only lens we have as spare lenses cost the same as a suspension rebuild or sill welding ) but the lens will no longer auto focus and won't allow the camera to take shots but will work when switched to manual !

I therefore suspect the motor in the lens is u/s but the manual pictures don't seem to have the best quality and are a little out of focus ? I don't want another camera as the camera itself appears good.

Any words of wisdom
although you dont need to now, a replacement lens is all that you would have needed. 18-55mm lenses are generally considered 'kit' lenses, ie they come with the camera. Due to this, they can be had for little money, normally less than £100, quite often less than £50!

Something to note if you were to pursue other lenses, for the Nikon D3000, it needs to have an autofocus motor built in. The D3 and 5000 models were Nikon's move away from the AF motor built into the body.

Unless she wants more functionality (or built in gadgetry) buying a new camera will not yield much better results, although with more recent (not necessarily up to date or modern) you would have the benefit of more pixels, and therefore more cropping potential and larger prints (but not much more). More pixels can have their drawbacks though - I am still convinced that between 6-12MP on a standard APS-c (the size in a D3000 and most other DSLRs) sensor was the optimum, due to the physical size of each pixel.

A more up to date camera may have things like bluetooth or wifi controls, but if these are not important, or essential, I would advise a replacement lens (new or used). Therefore better value for your money would be obtained from a suspension rebuild, as it will see an immediate improvement (and for years to come, not to mention the safety aspect ).

I always thought that the development in terms of image quality at around the time of the D3000's release was close to its pinnacle. Subsequent releases yielded less image quality improvements but added more functionality, or size benefits. Then heading towards smaller form factors (whilst using the same or similar sensors), as mirrorless cameras that did not have viewfinders.

To summarise, if she is expecting better image quality, it wont be hundreds of pounds better, if at all (IMO). If she wants particular features, or a smaller camera to make it more portable, then she may indeed need to replace. Like you, I feel a suspension rebuild is better value. This is coming from someone with an unnecessarily large camera collection spanning over 100 years, and almost 10 years camera retail experience (5 of which came after the launch of the D3000).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2022, 20:39   #5
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Thanks CLF , that was quite informative. She said the new cameras had blue tooth and I said so what's the point of that ? I can send the pictures to my phone she says ! Why don't you just take the pictures with your phone ? She gave me the look that all experienced married men know as the sign to shut up and change the subject !
Old 29th January 2022, 20:43   #6
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
I have a spare 18-55mm lens for a Nikon. If you want it pm me your address and I’ll send it on. I don’t use it as I have a tendency to use either my ultra wide angle or my 300mm lens.

I have a second one as I have two Nikon D5000 camera’s.
Thank you Sir I would like take you up on your kind offer so I'll send you a pm
Old 29th January 2022, 20:44   #7
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts
Default Nikon queries

The guys on here are very helpful and a friendly bunch:-

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/

Or from the horses mouth:-

https://www.nikonforums.com/forums/

To be honest, the modern mirrorless cameras are so much easier and many of the new mobile phones can take cracking shots unless you are into serious photography. I have a D5000 and a couple of lenses (AF-S) which I bought to rekindle my old hobby (used to do 35mm stuff) and I am very much a beginner in the DSLR way of things. I am waiting for the warmer weather to tempt me out more!

Last edited by roverbarmy; 29th January 2022 at 20:49..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2022, 21:20   #8
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
Thanks CLF , that was quite informative. She said the new cameras had blue tooth and I said so what's the point of that ? I can send the pictures to my phone she says ! Why don't you just take the pictures with your phone ? She gave me the look that all experienced married men know as the sign to shut up and change the subject !
Not sure of a benefit to bluetooth transfer to the phone, except to make it easier to upload to social media lol. But then why would you need the quality of a DSLR?

Transferring via bluetooth to a computer is not a benefit either, as a card reader would be both faster and more reliable. Then you have the battery drain ........

just saying

What will have advanced I am sure will be low light capabilities of cameras - it is the natural advancement of technology. In saying that, the D3000, whilst not class leading would have been more than adequate for most people's requirements. It was one of the last Nikon DSLRs to use a CCD sensor, though before they started to install CMOS sensors. CMOS sensors if I recall, used less battery power, produced less heat, and in my view (being overly critical) gave a smoother transition of tones. In real life, these differences would not really be noticed though.

Still bluetooth transfer is not as smooth nor as beneficial as a new set of springs and shocks though

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2022, 21:36   #9
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Coolcat is your man for the answer on this, I suspect from what you have described that it is the lens thats at fault.
Sorry only just seen this.

I think Pete has got all the answers he needs, besides I’m a Canon shooter
Old 29th January 2022, 22:39   #10
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Quite a few years ago my cannon US AF lens failed. I took it in and they said it was th data ribbon that had broke. It wasnt a lot for th repair. It actually quite cheap part but it does involve a complete lens strip and rebuild. Th zooming in and out makes it go weak threw it been flexed in and out each time when zooming... Good luck

Last edited by Phil th Barrow; 29th January 2022 at 22:41..
Phil th Barrow is offline   Reply With Quote