Notices

Old 26th February 2022, 12:19   #41
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
The problem with the swift system would mean they would start to use (or solely use) the Chinese equivalent. This seemingly would cause financial problems for a lot of EU countries, in particular Germany. Not to mention when things settle down again, and countries start to trade again with Russia, they may force those countries to sign up to the Chinese banking and money system, which would then destabilise the position of the dollar as being the currency of choice for transactions (think of population sizes).
Well, yes quite. That in turn would depend on the Chinese being to some degree concerned about the continued reciprocal connections with the entire Western world and it's imports from China and how that would affect their preparedness to look again at the wider trade figures. It's an ill wind...

However, is Mr. Putin entirely without any objectors in government? Or are they all either of similar mind or just plain terrified of him?
Old 26th February 2022, 14:17   #42
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
and it's imports from China and how that would affect their preparedness to look again at the wider trade figures. It's an ill wind...
Whatever you are reading this on, it will have had some kind of input from China (how much did you pay, think about it). As a global population, we are more dependent on Chinese products now, than they are on us. Can you imagine the cost of a mobile phone that stated 'made in Britain', USA, France etc?

This would be the position in the immediate aftermath of any Chinese trade restriction. Russian and Chinese consumers would sustain them for a while, prices would increase, as the market dwindles for China. Meanwhile the rest of the world would be paying more for consumer products, and will then sign up in desperation to the Chinese banking structure. By that time, the prices will be higher, but lower than locally produced products. Trade would then be calculated in Renminbi rather than the Dollar.

Quote:
However, is Mr. Putin entirely without any objectors in government? Or are they all either of similar mind or just plain terrified of him?
No he has objectors both within and outside the govt. of course he has, most will be terrified, but there are objections and protests against him. It is only when they gain strength in numbers, that we see restricted reports of the crackdowns that follow.

You only need to look at the Putin's history of leadership to see how he works and thinks, (look into the presidents and prime ministers of russia between 2007 and 2013 and how that came about as an example)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2022, 17:06   #43
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I wasn't thinking too much about the products we buy, a reduction in Chinese tech would to some be a beneficial aspect! It was more the 'presence' in UK industry/universities/commercial enterprises etc. and all the opportunities that would bring them.

For UK to rely on tech from such a smiling assassin makes me shudder at the stupidity. If China went into closer alliance with Russia, with UK being anti, the possibilities multiply to say the least. Vulnerable seems too mild a term.
Old 26th February 2022, 18:09   #44
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
I wasn't thinking too much about the products we buy, a reduction in Chinese tech would to some be a beneficial aspect! It was more the 'presence' in UK industry/universities/commercial enterprises etc. and all the opportunities that would bring them.

For UK to rely on tech from such a smiling assassin makes me shudder at the stupidity. If China went into closer alliance with Russia, with UK being anti, the possibilities multiply to say the least. Vulnerable seems too mild a term.

errrm, I think you need to open your eyes. It is too late for our reliance on Chinese imports and tech influence.

Your Black and Decker drill, Clarke and Draper, in fact I believe even Milwaukee now is Chinese made (although not a UK brand still US owned?). Not even British brands, JVC TVs (you think is a reliable Japanese brand - a safe country with regards to human rights etc, and quality in mind, is a Curry's own brand in the UK market, but made and badged where?) Even the stuff that is not Chinese made, is nearly going to have some reliance on something coming from china.

Rimmers and DMGRS would almost certainly go out of business, and our cars ............ well where do you think most of the replacement parts come from? (my own rear subframe and suspension came directly from China)

It is not the UK, it is global.

Their presence in industry is being resisted as best as possible. However, it is difficult. Look at the 5G issues prior to Covid, and the Canadian actions over the Hauwei boss, along with the charges leveled towards her, it is eye opening and watering.

Old 26th February 2022, 18:38   #45
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Really hope this does not get out of hand:

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/brit...an-aggression/
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2022, 18:40   #46
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post

Should the media be reporting what our military is up to?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2022, 19:07   #47
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:

Is the word 'more' missing from the headlines?

Estonia, a NATO member, with a Russian border it would make sense. But they have have been there (and other border states)since at least 2016 (probably earlier) due to the invasion and fighting that has been going on in Ukraine since 2014.

Another article to read, that may help put the Defence Journal into perspective. (check the date) and another based upon the image.

Old 26th February 2022, 19:38   #48
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

The cuts are old news now, throughout all branches of the country's armed forces. Sadly.

As for reporting the movements of said military, pretty certain Russian military intelligence will be more than aware of location, disposition and strength. Not only those of the UK but all NATO members, just as NATO was aware of Russian military build-up prior to this all kicking off.

Just hope they all come home.

And those cuts reversed.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2022, 20:08   #49
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
The cuts are old news now, throughout all branches of the country's armed forces. Sadly.

As for reporting the movements of said military, pretty certain Russian military intelligence will be more than aware of location, disposition and strength. Not only those of the UK but all NATO members, just as NATO was aware of Russian military build-up prior to this all kicking off.

Just hope they all come home.

And those cuts reversed.
The cuts were not the reason for posting, the fact that they were in Estonia prior to this latest invasion was the reason. Hence my question 'was the word 'more' missing from the headline'. Tanks were already there.

Old 26th February 2022, 21:08   #50
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Flightradar 24 around the Black Sea, makes interesting watching right now, with airborne tankers and drones! KAYAK41 and FORTE11 (All on t'internet, before anyone starts jumping on me for official secrets etc!)

Last edited by roverbarmy; 26th February 2022 at 21:11..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote