Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd March 2022, 11:42   #31
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Except you have. When I loosen the handbrake adjuster, the compensator lowers onto the tunnel, and one of the nipples became loose. It could be possible, especially coupled with a stretched compensator, that the cables have dropped out.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by goltho View Post
I'll second that, having changed my compensator a couple of months ago and seen that.

Dougie.
I have just reached Arctic's moves para 22 on, and have suspended console exactly as shown (Simples!) The front cable is attached black clip firmly in place, amount of movement in compensator about 2 to 3 inches in old money, so thanks to your advice Im going to advance on the compensator and hope to god that a cable has dropped, as what you say makes sense, especially the way my luck goes....thanks again back later with photos!
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Caskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2022, 11:46   #32
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Butler View Post
@ Caskin, did you at any time have the first cable off , because if you havn't the clip shouldn't have moved, its a press in fit, and uses two ears to clip into place, they very rarely break, often mechanics will take it out, and lose it, or forget to put it back in, the only other thing i can think of is it wasn't put back on right, and didnt clip fully home,in qhich case it will be lying in the handbrake mounting somewhere, i looked on line and they appear to be rare as hens teeth,
Have just replied to other members input, as black clip in place so on to compensator, will advise later! Water now 4 inches lie a drowned rat!!!!
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Old 2nd March 2022, 11:49   #33
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
check out the link below and note the times of the photos, which includes me taking the photos as i do the job.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...49&postcount=1

I have only ever managed the 15 minutes marks a few times as you will always come across a stuck nut or bolt, or even a swimming pool under the carpet

But yes op needs to check the compensator under the carpet, the rubber grommet method under the car is a complete nightmare.
Hope none of your advice copyright as have copied it to the letter, console suspended took about 10 minutes, cable is attached so will carry on to compensator as further forum advice seems promising thanks for all your advice.
Old 2nd March 2022, 12:47   #34
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
check out the link below and note the times of the photos, which includes me taking the photos as i do the job.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...49&postcount=1

I have only ever managed the 15 minutes marks a few times as you will always come across a stuck nut or bolt, or even a swimming pool under the carpet

But yes op needs to check the compensator under the carpet, the rubber grommet method under the car is a complete nightmare.
Steve: Still need some help, enclosed photos of progress,(took the easy option cut my way in(5mins)copy dex will make carpets look like new!!)
Compensator looks like new to me? all cables in place, with rear cables under tension not loose? Amount of movement of compensator shown in photos by the "slider"?? which can be seen protruding by about and inch or so, when front cable pulled ,slider pin is fully in contact with compensator.
But amount of thread through adjuster hole of front cable AT HANDBRAKE (When tensioned by hand with adjuster nut removed) is about 2 inches plus??? Would require a bodge to tension front cable to be active.....just don't see the problem...help please need the car, stuffed at the moment!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1011.jpg (137.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1012.jpg (100.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1013.jpg (132.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1016.jpg (119.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1018.jpg (123.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1019.jpg (121.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 2nd March 2022, 12:48   #35
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

have posted photo's??
Old 2nd March 2022, 13:37   #36
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

stretched compensator? The 5th and 6th photo showing the 2 ends, one mushroomed over the other not. If these have opened apart too much you loose the ability to adjust the handbrake. check forum for modified handbrake compensator, Arctic does them so while you are there, change yours.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2022, 14:54   #37
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
stretched compensator? The 5th and 6th photo showing the 2 ends, one mushroomed over the other not. If these have opened apart too much you loose the ability to adjust the handbrake. check forum for modified handbrake compensator, Arctic does them so while you are there, change yours.

macafee2
Thanks for prompt reply, looks like I will be changing compensator after all!!Although I'm still puzzled as to how the handbrake worked so well until my mucky paws touched it!!
How do I go about ordering one from Arctic?
As you say whilst I'm there might as well do it ,its not as if it difficult!!! thanks to help from forum/
Old 2nd March 2022, 14:58   #38
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

macafee2
There is only so much tension the adjuster can take up, and it looks like it has reached that point by the amount of slack and stretch on the compensator.

With it working before, I would guess that either the shoes if new are.thinner than before, or not adjusted far enough in the drum. Then, with adjusting it after fitting, it has stretched the compensator just beyond it useful or registerable.limit.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2022, 15:42   #39
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Hi Steve After our good friend Macafee2 took a look at my photos, he informed me that my compensator required changing, and that you carried a stock of Stainless compensators. If that's the case may I purchase one from you, would you be good enough to either PM with details or post on forum...Many thanks Caskin
Old 2nd March 2022, 16:17   #40
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

At least you now know where the problem lies, and changing the compensator is really easy, but don't undo the nut all the way, leave it hanging on by a couple of threads, the compensator is a bit of an design fault , fit the rear cables first, then the front, as the rears can be a bit of a pain, if you have water under your rear seat( mine did) change the rear light cluster seals, and seal them with silicone i got a pair of seals off ebay i think it was about £10.00
Martin Butler is offline   Reply With Quote