Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd June 2018, 16:15   #11
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
Thanks Artic.
These photos are exactly what I needed to see the relationship between the sensor and ring. It's impossible to see this when the assembly is on the car.
Following your advice I will go in carefully with a pipe-cleaner to try to remove any debris, and hope that my poking about yesterday has not damaged the ring.
Reading the manual it appear that one can only replace the bearing if the whole of front hub (and suspension ?) is removed from the car and taken to the bench, an operation I hope I don't have to do.
If you are inclined, slacken off the driveshaft nut, and after drilling out the old sensor use an airline to blow the debris out from the bearing face.

The inner oil seal of the bearing contains magnetic strips which form the "reluctor" for the sensor, and any dislodged rust particles will stick to the surface, and become trapped between the face of the new sensor and the oil seal, which leads to the rapid destruction of the seal.

Much easier than pressing out a knackered bearing and fitting a new one too

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2018, 16:39   #12
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
If you are inclined, slacken off the driveshaft nut, and after drilling out the old sensor use an airline to blow the debris out from the bearing face.

The inner oil seal of the bearing contains magnetic strips which form the "reluctor" for the sensor, and any dislodged rust particles will stick to the surface, and become trapped between the face of the new sensor and the oil seal, which leads to the rapid destruction of the seal.

Much easier than pressing out a knackered bearing and fitting a new one too

Brian
Thanks Brain. Plan is to use a pipe cleaner down the hole then bent round to rub on the bearing seal while I turn the hub. This should remove anything adhering to it. I'll also be checking the yards for any cars from which I can recover the cables to make up a test rig, as described in other posts on the ABS subject.
Might be an idea to get a pair of hubs as spares. While I have a car bought specifically for parts, it proved so good mechanically that I;m using daily until next mot which it will fail on sill rot.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2018, 21:29   #13
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Job now done subject to road test.
Contrary to some writings here, the sensor, at least the genuine one, is not a tight fit in the hole, in fact it is quite lose until the shaped tip of the sensor locates into the equivalent shape at the bottom of the hole. The reason why it would not initially go in was the shoulder of rust partway done left from where I used the large drill bit (see earlier posts).
I coated the drill bit with grease then drilled again as far as it would, the start of the shaped hole being the limit. Hopefully the grease trapped most of the rust particles, but I gave the unit a further vacuum and wipe of the face of the bearing seal with a pipe-cleaner.
Rather than copper-slip I used a thick coating of the protective grease NO-OX-ID in an attempt to prevent the hole rusting up again.
The whole job did turn out to be quite straight-forward once I'd found or received the helpful posts from the guys on here - thanks (wish I'd found some posts sooner).
Incidently, someone was commenting on Matt's (DMGRS) sensors not being genuine, I checked, and they are genuine; and at a very good price too.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2018, 08:03   #14
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

When I replaced mine a few years back, after carefully drilling it out I used the air line along with a vacuum cleaner to blow/ suck any debris out.

I also used the Dremmel to clean up the hole and smeared a spot of copper grease to prevent any future problems.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2022, 20:58   #15
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

Default Black protective membrane half worn away

On a Rover 75 CDTi I have a front drivers side hub from the breakers that needs to be fitted. I am cleaning the hub and ABS hole in readiness. Does it matter if the black protective membrane (in the photos by Arctic) is half worn away? Do I need to replace the black protective membrane? Is the membrane on the wheel bearing? Does that mean the wheel bearing bring needs replacing? Thanks
Ed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2022, 21:38   #16
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

I would change the bearing while its off. that can be done by hand but i would recommend that it is pressed in using a hydraulic press to avoid damaging the bearing. some garages would do it for you for a small fee. you could of course fit the hub as it is and take a chance, but if the seal black covering is worn away, it has probably had a hard life already....
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2022, 16:01   #17
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

Thanks. I used the 32mm socket with a 2kg hammer and the flange and bearing came apart to see the bearing race having too much solidified grease. So needed replacing. Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 18:30   #18
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
Tips on removing a seized front ABS sensor, please.
Snapped off flush with the hub, but wires not broken.
Do I drill down the side with a small drill, or use a big drill down the middle?
What depth to drill is safe? But if the tranductor ring is enclosed within the bearing surely it cannot be damaged?
What about swarf and rust going down the hole?
Suggestions to prevent the new sensor seizing in the hole?

I'm sure these points have been raised on the forum before, but I've been unsucessful in searching for answers.
I used a socket large enough to sit over the sensor allow it to pull through. I then used a large washer with a smallish centre hole on top of the socket and screwed in a long self tapping screw. It worked a treat, pulling out the sensor with no problems. I just added a few spacer washers at intervals to ensure the screw didn't penetrate too far.

Last edited by polinsteve; 24th June 2022 at 18:35..
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2022, 14:47   #19
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

With all parts clean - when reassembling the sensor into the hub and then the hub to the driveshaft how much grease should be spread around the hub, bearing and driveshaft - so as not to interfere with the ABS sensor. Is grease kept off the side strip of the wheel bearing that is close to the ABS sensor? Thanks.
Old 28th June 2022, 17:51   #20
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Dont put any in there.Just make it as clean as possible.the bearing is sealed anyway. Brush away any rust/dirt debris that you see. A little dob on the driveshaft splines wont i suppose do any harm. Make sure there are no metal or rust metalic filings around the hub /bearing and sensor faces.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote