Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th April 2020, 16:03   #1
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

2004 mk1 Rover 75 1.8T Club SE saloon (auto)

Default Fuel system - petrol

Tackling corrosion in the right-rear wheel arch at the moment, and have removed the armour shield from the fuel tank vent lines as well as the fuel filler neck and the expansion tank (that lives up in there - on petrol models).

Two things:

1: Can the fuel filler neck be replaced with a flexible, nitrile rubber alternative?
Getting the formed plastic version out was a PITA and I can only see getting it back in (over the subframe arm) being even worse The small existing flexi-hose section that joins the tank and the plastic neck is 40mm ID and 50mm OD. I was thinking of cutting the OEM filler neck just above where it takes a 90-degree turn in under the car - that way, any fuel leaks should be minimised . The OEM plastic neck isn't perfectly circular, so getting a good seal might prove difficult (course edges will need to be shaved down). Stainless P-clips could then be used to secure the flexible hose to the inner wheel arch and underneath the car (where fixing points are located for the OEM neck).

2: What are people's thoughts on removing the charcoal canister system entirely?
I'd like to fit quad exhausts at some point, so it at least needs to be moved. But, from reading online, it seems that the venting system can be bypassed as long as the main vent line from the tank has a vapour release cap of some sort fitted.. any ideas? I expect that removing the charcoal canister would result in fuel vapours being expunged to the atmosphere (rather than within the charcoal canister and back to the purge valve / air intake system) - But, would this throw up any faults with the ECU or fuel delivery system?

Cheers,
Karl.
The Mighty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote