Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th June 2020, 17:34   #1
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

2004 mk1 Rover 75 1.8T Club SE saloon (auto)

Red face For the PPD die-hards

I discovered that really early rear lamp lenses had an additional lens sitting in behind the outer indicator lens - from an old thread of Rich's:
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...opment+brigade

It seems that these were only fitted to the early '99 cars.

I'm guessing these were in place originally in an effort to eliminate the "fried egg" effect of the orange indicator bulbs, but were then dropped (possibly to reduce cost? ).

Anyway, I had bought some Diadem indicator bulbs a while back to try eliminate this effect myself, but found that these bulbs actually have a blueish hue to them

So, came across a set of good (second-hand) early rear lenses and swapped them over.

Seems to have helped a bit, although admittedly, this is a relatively minor concern in the grand scheme of things!

I've added a few photos to show the difference, in case this might be of interest to anyone else..

Cheers,
Karl.
The Mighty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2020, 17:49   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Quinn View Post
I discovered that really early rear lamp lenses had an additional lens sitting in behind the outer indicator lens - from an old thread of Rich's:

I'm guessing these were in place originally in an effort to eliminate the "fried egg" effect of the orange indicator bulbs, but were then dropped (possibly to reduce cost? ).

Anyway, I had bought some Diadem indicator bulbs a while back to try eliminate this effect myself, but found that these bulbs actually have a blueish hue to them

So, came across a set of good (second-hand) early rear lenses and swapped them over.

Seems to have helped a bit, although admittedly, this is a relatively minor concern in the grand scheme of things!

I've added a few photos to show the difference, in case this might be of interest to anyone else..

Cheers,
Karl.
an alternative I have are chromed bulbs. (Ebay LINK)

the following images are 5 years old. They have held up well, but I replaced them earlier this year due to a failure. The plating was holding up well, although it had started to fail, they still didnt show orange until lit.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2020, 17:56   #3
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Cheers,
Karl.
I’ve got a set of these set aside for a member, these are very very rare sight these days, if memory serves me correct they were only available on 1999 built cars:
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2020, 18:28   #4
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
I’ve got a set of these set aside for a member, these are very very rare sight these days, if memory serves me correct they were only available on 1999 built cars:
Mick

Yeah, it's not that easy getting a good set (given their age and how brittle they are).

Looks as though Best of British has a brand new N/S one on ebay, though:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-R...4AAOSwz4Ze193k
(assuming the one on the pics is the one that's for sale).

Bit of an oddity, as much as anything else..

Cheers,
Karl.

Last edited by The Mighty Quinn; 26th June 2020 at 18:33..
Old 26th June 2020, 18:32   #5
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
an alternative I have are chromed bulbs. (Ebay LINK)

the following images are 5 years old. They have held up well, but I replaced them earlier this year due to a failure. The plating was holding up well, although it had started to fail, they still didnt show orange until lit.

Yip, that looks as though it's done the job just spot-on.. and for vastly superior value, I expect

Cheers,
Karl.
Old 26th June 2020, 19:14   #6
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, it's not that easy getting a good set (given their age and how brittle they are).

Looks as though Best of British has a brand new N/S one on ebay, though:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-R...4AAOSwz4Ze193k
(assuming the one on the pics is the one that's for sale).

Bit of an oddity, as much as anything else..

Cheers,
Karl.
Oh my days £125 for one rear lens I know they are very rare but I wouldn’t dream of listing one for that price, I always try to sell my parts at a affordable price.
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2020, 23:42   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Yip, that looks as though it's done the job just spot-on.. and for vastly superior value, I expect

Cheers,
Karl.
Very much so lol, I think at the time they were around £3 for a pair, but I did buy some at the beginning of the year, but couldnt find a pair less than a fiver at the time. The side repeaters are also available, and are around the same price.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote