Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th February 2022, 18:27   #1
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

Default Got flashed but am I in the wrong

I was driving back from Leeds today in Farage and the variable speed signs were showing 40. Just as I drove through one it changed to 60 and the road ahead was clear. I must have been behind the sign or obviously I wouldn't have seen it but to be clear I literally saw it change a split second before I passed under it. Without even thinking I stepped on the gas and the camera flashed me. It was definitely me as there were no cars alongside me. Will I get a ticket?? As far as I'm concerned I went through a 60 at about 43 on my phone sat nav / 48ish on the Speedo. I'll be furious if I get a ticket as I genuinely don't speed anywhere
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2022, 18:41   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

43 in a "40", I would have thought not but you never know.
Seems the two were out of sync.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2022, 18:47   #3
Southern Star
Loves to post

Rover 75 CTDi Contemporary SE

Default S

Highly unlikely I'd say. I read a post elsewhere once from someone who was involved in the tech side of motorway speed cameras who said that even when the variable limit is reduced, there is a five-second delay in enforcing the new lower limit. So I'd assume it would know that you passed below the posted limit at that time.
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2022, 18:50   #4
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMG View Post
I was driving back from Leeds today in Farage and the variable speed signs were showing 40. Just as I drove through one it changed to 60 and the road ahead was clear. I must have been behind the sign or obviously I wouldn't have seen it but to be clear I literally saw it change a split second before I passed under it. Without even thinking I stepped on the gas and the camera flashed me. It was definitely me as there were no cars alongside me. Will I get a ticket?? As far as I'm concerned I went through a 60 at about 43 on my phone sat nav / 48ish on the Speedo. I'll be furious if I get a ticket as I genuinely don't speed anywhere

Yes - we are all innocent, law abiding, citizens here!

I'd say regardless of whether you get a ticket or not, it is your moral duty to send in the equivalent of the fine amount.
Old 11th February 2022, 19:24   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I would say you have a good case for getting off with the ticket if you observed the 60 sign, they should have records of when the limits change and be able to match that with the picture from the camera.

Maybe it was a French camera operator and they didn’t like the flag on the roof!!
Old 11th February 2022, 19:37   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Yes - we are all innocent, law abiding, citizens here!

I'd say regardless of whether you get a ticket or not, it is your moral duty to send in the equivalent of the fine amount.
try to pay a govt. department a sum of money that is not accompanied by relevant paperwork, explaining the service charge or product, go on, try it lol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

re: the OP, I cannot say that you will or not, as I understand such flashing does not always mean a fine, in that some folk 'get away with it'.

But the point of seeing the speed change, it could be argued that it was human error, and accidentally changed to the higher speed, only to be rectified immediately after. If one did arrive through the post, I would dispute it, and even with the human error element, it does mean 'beyond reasonable doubt' could not be fulfilled. I would assume such changes would be logged in some manner, be accidentally, or deliberate for such disputes.

Because of the potential for dispute, and the potential of causing issue with following drivers, I would have also thought there was some form of delay one way or another. IE the cars follwoing, assume the speed to be now 60, yet the car in front is doing 40

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2022, 19:59   #7
Bazzateer

You'll get a life ban and a 300 quid fine. Tell you what, I'll do you a favour. I'll give you 300 quid for the car since you won't need it any more and you use the cash for the fine.

Sorted! I know, I'm a generous soul.
Old 12th February 2022, 11:25   #8
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post

Maybe it was a French camera operator and they didn’t like the flag on the roof!!
I knew it !!!
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2022, 12:16   #9
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

There is a 60 seconds delay from speed changing on the matrix sign to the cameras changing. No need to slam on the brakes.
I learned this on my speed awareness course!

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 12th February 2022, 12:57   #10
simondhopkins
Loves to post

Vauxhall Vectra C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMG View Post
Do you have a dash cam fitted?

If so and it shows 60 on there, submit the video as evidence and you should be ok.
simondhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote