Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th March 2022, 00:04   #1
Wuvz

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Another wet ECU question

Hi all. I actually signed up here when I bought my current 75 (a 2003 Connoisseur SE CDT Tourer automatic in Copperleaf) around 3 1/2 years ago, but amazingly nothing has gone wrong in that time (until now) and I lost my login details...

Within days of sailing through its MOT a few weeks back the car broke on me twice. The first time was a snapped front spring, which was an easy fix, or would have been if the pinch bolt wasn't seized solid.

The second issue was a failure to proceed which was caused by me getting a bit too enthusiastic whilst jet washing half the Sahara desert off the car the weekend before last. This isn't the usual ECU-drowning-in-a-fishpond-in-the-plenum scenario - there was a bit of water in the plenum when I got home, but only about half an inch and it was way off the bottom of the ECU box. However unfortunately water had got into the connectors on the top of the ECU and wreaked havoc.

I removed the ECU, dried out the connectors and cleaned the contacts as well as I could, and I've now got the fault code count down from 9 to 3, but the car still won't start. The codes it's currently showing are P0100, which I'm not too worried about, P1250 which is the in-tank fuel pump (this ties in with the fact that I can't hear the pump kicking in when the ignition is on), and P1260 which is presumably a consequence of the P1250.

Is there a diagram available anywhere of the pin layout on the ECU showing which pin does what? I noticed a bit of corrosion in some of the connections on one of the multiplugs and it could be that I need to do a better job of cleaning up one of the contacts, but there are quite a lot of pins to choose from.

Also, as a temporary solution to attempt to get the car mobile I was going to try wiring a 12v feed straight to the lift pump. I'm assuming the thick purple-and-white wire is the live feed into the pump? Mr Haynes didn't see fit to include the fuel system in his selection of wiring diagrams.
Wuvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2022, 06:49   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Where abouts are you in Norfolk? I’m in the south and have T4 I could take a look and confirm if your ecu is dead before you look any further.
Old 29th March 2022, 09:11   #3
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

I would take up Trikey's kind offer - he is a wizard on these cars.

As to wiring diagrams get yourself a RAVE disc - Rimmers usually have them in stock - they have the A-Z of wiring set ups for our cars. I think the disc hits problems if you are on windows 10 but there is a workaround on the site if your search. Currently in stock - £11.00

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-ZAA000400

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2022, 12:51   #4
Wuvz

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Where abouts are you in Norfolk? I’m in the south and have T4 I could take a look and confirm if your ecu is dead before you look any further.

Thanks. I'm up in the north east near the coast.

I had another look at the ECU earlier and noticed that one of the pins in plug #4 has snapped off - I'm assuming this may have something to do with the car not starting. Is it possible to replace a broken pin or is it going to be new ECU time? I did have a quick look at the circuit board but it's way beyond my limited abilities. If I buy a replacement ECU, can T4 code it into the car?
Wuvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2022, 12:59   #5
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

If you need a replacement diesel ECU - PM Big Russ (trader on here) - he will provide you with a programmed ECU at a fraction it would cost elsewhere by post. Last time at his place i saw he had 30 plus diesel ECU's.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2022, 18:01   #6
Eddiebassman
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 cdti tourer connoisseur se

Definitely get him to remap for you too, money well spent I promise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eddiebassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2022, 22:12   #7
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Chances are that's the fuel pump feed pin that's broken off, that's the usual one that corrodes then breaks
Drop me a message if you wish to send your ECU, usually I can transfer your data to a replacement unit and will be plug and play once refitted.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote