Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th September 2019, 20:08   #21
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
I wasn't joking but I did say---IF YOU ARE REALLY SERIOUS.

If you were just toying with the idea then that is a different matter.

The mechanics of my suggestion are very simple. The cost however could be offputting for another battery.

Just trying to help with your problem so that you don't get stuck with a flat battery and a non functioning car as well as a non functioning alarm at the same time.---

PS.---This is my 10,000th post.-------Yippee
...... yes your suggestion would work (and probably is the best and safest long term solution!), split charging relay and another battery (quite common for multi amp car stereos not to mention caravans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
A very practical suggestion, NOT, but i do appreciate your sense of humour!.
Of all the suggestions made thus far, I fear my question remains unanswered, pity.
Many answers of course, however not addressing the questions. thanks nevertheless.
post 9 partially answered the question, but I couldnt be bothered looking up the handbook or taking off the fusebox cover to find out the fuse number.

Leaving the dashcam running permanently will run the battery down quite quickly, and make sure your camera can take a rather large card, at 280 MB for three minutes of footage (at 1080p) will eat a lot of space. Before dismissing this, try the 'parking mode' with the door open, walk across the front of the car and then slam the door. See what it records Setting this too sensitively, will make it record everytime someone walks past (have read of ones being triggered by birds flying by!).

Beware of battery back up cameras too for this type of installation. Batteries are known to be weak, and prone to premature failure, with even reports of batteries popping in the heat of a windscreen.

A search in DashcamTalk too for the USB battery back up/power bank supply too Google is amenable too.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2019, 12:38   #22
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
...... yes your suggestion would work (and probably is the best and safest long term solution!), split charging relay and another battery (quite common for multi amp car stereos not to mention caravans)

post 9 partially answered the question, but I couldnt be bothered looking up the handbook or taking off the fusebox cover to find out the fuse number.

Leaving the dashcam running permanently will run the battery down quite quickly, and make sure your camera can take a rather large card, at 280 MB for three minutes of footage (at 1080p) will eat a lot of space. Before dismissing this, try the 'parking mode' with the door open, walk across the front of the car and then slam the door. See what it records Setting this too sensitively, will make it record everytime someone walks past (have read of ones being triggered by birds flying by!).

Beware of battery back up cameras too for this type of installation. Batteries are known to be weak, and prone to premature failure, with even reports of batteries popping in the heat of a windscreen.

A search in DashcamTalk too for the USB battery back up/power bank supply too Google is amenable too.
Thank you that is very helpful, I just find that the information out there is so geared to specific manufacturer/supplier, essentially telling us to buy their stuff, there is so much confusing garbage regarding the parking mode feature of dashcams, (the Chinese stuff is good and well priced but support is patchy to say the least), that you just don't dare use this for fear as Colvert pointed out of killing the battery, a backup might be the answer, I will follow your advise and see what happens, thanks again.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 10:52   #23
Bartje
Regular poster

MG ZT-T CDTi Auto

I have a blackvue dashcam in my ZT-T which is wired in at permanent live.
I've fitted the 12V control box which will shut down the power supply when the voltage drops below a certain value, which you can determine with dipswitched inside the control box. I can't exactly remember which setting I used, but I've set it on the safe side (I think the highest voltage setting if I remember correctly).

The dashcam records pretty much everything moving in front of the car, so when you're parked on a carpark or even with the front pointing towards a tree, it'll pretty much record 24/7! In my experience it's a pretty useless function since I've tried to use the lowest sensibility setting for the camera, but even then it keeps recording leaves and branches moving by the wind!

The control box does switch off the camera after a while depending on how much movement there's been, most of the time after 2 hours or so, so you'll most likely end up with an SD card filled with people walking or cars driving past, or lots of tree-footage
Bartje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 11:58   #24
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartje View Post
I have a blackvue dashcam in my ZT-T which is wired in at permanent live.
I've fitted the 12V control box which will shut down the power supply when the voltage drops below a certain value, which you can determine with dipswitched inside the control box. I can't exactly remember which setting I used, but I've set it on the safe side (I think the highest voltage setting if I remember correctly).

The dashcam records pretty much everything moving in front of the car, so when you're parked on a carpark or even with the front pointing towards a tree, it'll pretty much record 24/7! In my experience it's a pretty useless function since I've tried to use the lowest sensibility setting for the camera, but even then it keeps recording leaves and branches moving by the wind!

The control box does switch off the camera after a while depending on how much movement there's been, most of the time after 2 hours or so, so you'll most likely end up with an SD card filled with people walking or cars driving past, or lots of tree-footage
And another potential issue i noticed with the parking mode. In low light, someone wearing dark clothing approaching the car, may not trigger the cam. They seem to rely on change of contrast to trigger. (Similar to some digital camera focus systems)

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 18th September 2019 at 12:01..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 12:23   #25
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
And another potential issue i noticed with the parking mode. In low light, someone wearing dark clothing approaching the car, may not trigger the cam. They seem to rely on change of contrast to trigger. (Similar to some digital camera focus systems)

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
Thanks once again for your ( and everyone else's ) suggestions, but having thought about it a while I have reached the conclusion, that the parking mode feature on most ( if not all!) dash cams is probably useless at present, until two things are addressed b y the manufacturers, 1. the problem of sensitivity, when detecting movement, and 2. the problem of voltage regulation to ensure the car's battery is not drained and thus being left stranded.
So for the present I will not be using it, life is never simple.
Thanks again guys.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote