Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th September 2019, 09:54   #21
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
The condition is verified via the 7 photos and a copy of the MOT. I have the valuation agreed in writing in the event of a Cat C write off. Lets face it, £3000 isn't much. I could argue for a higher amount and maybe I will. I know to get a much higher valuation say 30K, the car would need to be assessed and a report done. I imagine the premiums for 30K would be high.

Have you thought about upgrading the immobiliser, installing a tracker and dash cameras? I gather the insurance companies give a discount for doing so.

When you have made your decision, please let us know the outcome. Another thing you can do, if I may suggest, is to check the customer reviews per insurance company on trustpilot reviews.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/pet...nsurance.co.uk

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/aplan.co.uk
Thanks for the info.

Yes, I have thought about an immobilizer, tracker and dash cam but it's too expensive for me at the moment after buying all these parts. How ironic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
With 'regular'car insurance, the declared value is irrelevant (probably unless you value lower than an actual replacement value). In the event of a write off, they will pay out market value. Market value for our cars at the minute will be a similar condition car up for sale. Dealer prices and trade prices wont enter into it.

If you want an agreed value, you will have to pay a little more for it.
There are 54 75s on AutoTrader at the moment - 42 of them are trade. Lowest private one is £450, highest is £2,750. I'll bet the £2,750 one hasn't got a complete rear end refurb (and it's done a higher mileage than mine). Highest trade one is £5,000 - 40,000 miles on the clock (still higher than mine) and I bet it hasn't got a rear end refurb either.

The cost of the premium on an agreed value basis is the deciding factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
Whatever you say it's worth won't matter with a normal policy.
Agreed value insurance is too restrictive for my liking. I want to drive my car not look at it.

You just have to hope you never have to claim.
This is the main reason cars get written off, it's a big risk. Even fitting 4 new tires could be more than its worth in a write off situation.
By write off, do you mean if they value it at (say) £200, and it needs £250 in parts after a prang? In other words, the slightest damage will write it off - e.g. a cracked bumper. In this case, I'd just have to take the £200 (less excess) and pay for the rest myself. Or, not bother claiming in the first place.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 14:26   #22
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
By write off, do you mean if they value it at (say) £200, and it needs £250 in parts after a prang? In other words, the slightest damage will write it off - e.g. a cracked bumper. In this case, I'd just have to take the £200 (less excess) and pay for the rest myself. Or, not bother claiming in the first place.

Until recently I had another car as well as the ZT, a young lady ignored the stop lines at a junction an crunched the front wing, broke the head light unit and scuffed the door but didn't dent it.

She wanted to go through the insurance so we did, they valued my Vaux at £2,000 but the cost of repairs was almost £1,500 once they added recovery and paint into the bag. The repair centre said it had to have a door and wing, light unit and grill ... they wrote it off so I kept the car and some money from the insurance and I repaired it myself for just £135, I had to have VOSA examine it afterwards but I just sold it on with no problems.

It used to be around two third the value of a car to write it off, it might have changed now though. So if your car was say £200 then anything over say £130 to fix is a write off.

Last edited by Vossy; 18th September 2019 at 14:29..
Vossy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 18:24   #23
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Exactly, any damage to a 75 will right it off.

I personally would sort it myself, if it could be fixed of course.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 21:00   #24
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
Exactly, any damage to a 75 will right it off.

I personally would sort it myself, if it could be fixed of course.
Exactly.

My ZTT was hit in the front passenger door in a car park. Cost to repair was about £600. Maybe not enough to write it off if the value is about £1000 - but close!! - and anyway - even if they did not write it off my premiums would increase so they would recover their pay out anyway

I replaced the door when I found one of the same paint match by advertising on here in the wanted section for £40.

So I now am better off to the tune of a fully working door with glass, motor, doorcard etc that I can cannibalise for parts if required.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote