Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th August 2019, 14:30   #11
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi James.
Just the fact that he as mentioned the EGR would make me think he does not know what he's talking about, there is NO EGR on a2.0 V6 or 2.5 V6 the cars that you own.

There are a few owners whom live if France maybe on of those can recommend a garage opposed to the one you are using?

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2019, 18:28   #12
skinnyL
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2003 2.5 V6 Auto Conn Tourer (Scotland) Rover 75 2000 2.0 V6 Conn (Spain)

Hi Simon,
At last my garage has had another look for a water leak. He states he has bled it the MGR way and the engine runs without rising to an high temperature. He has not bi-passed the oil cooler and there is no water visable in that area. There is definitely co2 emitting at the expansion vessel and moisture/steam coming out of the exhaust, indicating HGF. I am a wee bit confused as to what to do next in respect of Head Gasket repair as his quote is £1000.00 at least or to just scrap it and look for another Tourer. I was considering having it transported to JULES in N/Wales, an expert in Rover cars I believe, at a cost of £430.00 just to transport it. I also forgot to mention that after the radiator was replaced we had torrential rain her one day and I drove into, what I thought was a puddle, as all the other cars in front of me got through, but it was actually a pond about a foot deep, the car stopped I turned off the engine and then was towed out. Left the car sitting in the dry for 20mins, tried the engine, it fired up with a lot of black smoke coming out the exhaust then white smoke, coughed and spluttered, cleared itself and away we went. Then I had these extra troubles and as my garage states it could be a cracked block as if water had got into the air intake it may have damaged the engine! But the car has always tended to overheat after overtaking or accelerating past anything with the HIGH TEMPERATURE in red on the dash. Thanks
skinnyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2019, 19:25   #13
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timon View Post
Why not? There's plenty of oil additives to that won't harm an engine. Most times they're just unnecessary. Adding stop leak to coolant is a bad idea though.

Anyhow, the garage is funny. How are they going to stop a head gasket leak by adding something to the oil?
Read your handbook about oil additives to the engine unless you know better than the engine designers.-----Go stand in the corner.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2019, 19:36   #14
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

James. If the engine overheated at times then you have always had a problem you should have solved rather than wait for disaster to strike, as it has.

You have, as the saying goes, shot yourself in the foot.---

We have had others on here who thought that their car was a boat and drove at high speed through deep water.

Deep water = Drive very, very slowly or--you're sunk.

The engine swallowing water can cause all sorts of damage like smashed pistons, as water is not compressible in the combustion chamber, to cracked blocks or blown gaskets.
If it's just a head gasket then that will be not too bad to repair. Other faults might indicate that another engine is required.

There might be a member who lives near you who can offer some sensible help. They just have to spot your post.
Could take a few days though.

Last edited by COLVERT; 6th September 2019 at 22:47..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2019, 16:19   #15
skinnyL
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2003 2.5 V6 Auto Conn Tourer (Scotland) Rover 75 2000 2.0 V6 Conn (Spain)

The car has been in a garage a couple of times for a water leak and they could not find anything.

I followed a line of cars at slow speed into the large puddle and they all got through, and that is why I tried it, the car stopped quite quickly, I switched off the engine and was towed out about 15 foot. I waited around 20 mins then tried the engine and it fired up coughing and spluttering, emitting black smoke then white smoke from the exhaust, then appeared to run ok so off I went. So even at slow speed you are sunk!
Old 7th September 2019, 20:17   #16
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Have you checked the Shannon tube? It may have fallen to bits and sucked water up into the engine. Is the engine more noisy than normal? Tapping noises and the like?
Old 8th September 2019, 13:08   #17
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Have you checked the Shannon tube? It may have fallen to bits and sucked water up into the engine. Is the engine more noisy than normal? Tapping noises and the like?

Also , you need a compression test on all 6 cylinders . Garages don't like to do this because it is such a faff getting at the back 3 , but it will prove if you have an issue with one or more cylinders .
Old 9th September 2019, 18:08   #18
charlie 22
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 2.5V6, Mazda Cx30

According to the OP signature, he lives in Dunfermline. Can anyone recommend a Rover mechanic in the area?
Old 17th September 2019, 21:15   #19
skinnyL
Avid contributor

Default Engine cooked.

Update, sorry to take so long.

My garage is a wee bit too busy to work on my car due to mechanic off sick and him too busy doing m.o.t.s etc. I know he is not too keen on working on the car, anyway.

He states when revved it now blows blue smoke and he feels the rings may need replacing, he also feels a conrod may be bent and it looks like I am going to be throwing a lot of money at this problem. I have told him that I will try and sourse an lowish mileage engine form somewhere and could he fit it and he was agreeable to do that, so doe's anyone know of an V6 2.5 ENGINE available suitable for my 2003 tourer.

Many thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 21:37   #20
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

First it was carbon dioxide in the coolant and head gasket failure, now it's burning oil and has a bent conrod.

I note that you have faith in this garage James but when it reaches the stage of multiple diagnoses and fitting second-hand engines, alarm bells should be ringing.

Simon