Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th May 2019, 22:13   #11
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

I am still trying to get to terms with the fact that MGs are not built at Abingdon anymore!

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2019, 05:17   #12
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

How good was/is the MGTF they produced after the Chinese took over?
Old 12th May 2019, 05:52   #13
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
I'm told not very good but they seem to command good prices.
Old 12th May 2019, 05:53   #14
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
I’ve never driven a British made MG TF but the LE500 Carole bought is a nice car and they’ve fixed the head gasket problem. The only thing I’d say is the paint is a bit thin but it is on many cars now Honda being really bad. A friend who does detailing showed me how thin the paint is on modern cars and it was a Honda Civic he used as an example
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2019, 05:53   #15
victorgte

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Well that is that, definitely no chance of buying any Chinese or Indian "MG" cars ever for me.

I was almost swayed by a new MG3 for Mrs MB from Fred Henderson in Durham, but nope that's not on the cards now.

So with the R&D going overseas in most likelihood, there is going to be nothing left.

Let's all give a round of applause to BMW for asset stripping Rover, and the Phoenix Four for handing the Chinese the remnants of MGR on a plate, after lining their own pockets, and shafting the workforce of course.

You have to applaud the alien ownership of once great British companies

Brian
Not bitter then?
Test drove the MG ZS a few days ago. Very good indeed and my brother in law bought one that day too.
Old 12th May 2019, 06:56   #16
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
Not bitter then?
Test drove the MG ZS a few days ago. Very good indeed and my brother in law bought one that day too.
Good for him

I know of another owner of a new "ZS" who recently made a 400 mile round trip to Longbridge to sort out a software fault which also required the fitting of an updated camshaft sensor.

As his nearest dealer, a mere 100 mile round trip, couldn't guarantee to have the part as well as the update, nor the dealer in Durham, again a little over 200 miles from his home and back.

So as I was speaking to the "ZS" owner yesterday, I asked how he was getting on with the car, and it will be getting sold, a litany of niggling faults hinting at poor build quality, and his wife has said she doesn't like the car.

This is the problem with badge engineering, you can stick a badge of a relatively untainted brand on any old tat, but it will still be tat, and I'd like to see what the dealer support will like be once Longbridge has closed up shop.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2019, 07:26   #17
victorgte

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Quote:
Good for him

I know of another owner of a new "ZS" who recently made a 400 mile round trip to Longbridge to sort out a software fault which also required the fitting of an updated camshaft sensor.

As his nearest dealer, a mere 100 mile round trip, couldn't guarantee to have the part as well as the update, nor the dealer in Durham, again a little over 200 miles from his home and back.

So as I was speaking to the "ZS" owner yesterday, I asked how he was getting on with the car, and it will be getting sold, a litany of niggling faults hinting at poor build quality, and his wife has said she doesn't like the car.

This is the problem with badge engineering, you can stick a badge of a relatively untainted brand on any old tat, but it will still be tat, and I'd like to see what the dealer support will like be once Longbridge has closed up shop.

Brian
You make a good point. Badge is no guaranttee of quality and you can quickly tarnish a brand by poor manufacturing and/or after sales support.

Nearest dealer to Mike is 15 miles and Longbridge is 40 miles away whilst its still open...........
Old 12th May 2019, 07:33   #18
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
No links but my infomation is sitting next to me.
He has left MG already and the situation seems far from clear.
At the moment it looks as if some sales staff may remain but no idea where they will be based.
That’s not good Ian, they have premises in Marlybone with a few floors spare, I read a few months ago that they were thinking of renting it out so I guess they could use it for R&D. Ive been to Longbridge 4 times over the last year and been privileged to of seen the R&D centre which had an enormous buzz about it. The main areas seem to be R&D, parts distribution, training centre for techs and a workshop for the cars they sell. The sales centre itself is just a couple of cars in the foyer of the conference centre since the round house was handed back. Myself and my daughter travelled to Longbridge to buy our ZS which was a 5 hour drive and the salesman went above and beyond in making it an experience that my daughter will never forget, I always get excited about visiting Longbridge and as we drove away my daughter remarked that she now understood my love of the place and link to our other three cars, there won’t be another new car hand over that will beat that day. I’m certain that MG will continue to thrive as they are selling many many cars but for me a massive part of ownership was the link back to Longbridge, once that’s gone I’m not sure how I will feel about the brand

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle

Last edited by sworks; 12th May 2019 at 07:35..
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2019, 07:36   #19
ricardo65
This is my second home

mgzt cdti 160.mgzt 1.8t mg6 1.8t

Thanked 1,652 Times in 969 Posts

[QUOTE=marinabrian;2733160]Good for him

Morning bri have you any more information on what the symptoms were please

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213906
ricardo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2019, 07:52   #20
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:

So with the R&D going overseas in most likelihood, there is going to be nothing left.

Let's all give a round of applause to BMW for asset stripping Rover, and the Phoenix Four for handing the Chinese the remnants of MGR on a plate, after lining their own pockets, and shafting the workforce of course.

You have to applaud the alien ownership of once great British companies

Brian

Brian - why keep pointing the finger at BMW and the Pheonix four yet not mention the two parties that contributed the most to MGR's demise - the British public for not buying the cars and the successive UK governments for having no interest in supporting British engineering/manufacturing industry. IMO this is where the responsibility lies.

BMW did with Rover what any business would have done with an unwanted/undesirable complex- retain the valuable parts and get rid of the rest.

The Pheonix Four took on what was probably the most difficulty job in British industrial history and provided quality engineering jobs for a large number of people for a number of years. The amounts they "pocketed" are not large by car industry not general top-level management roles in the UK. They sacrificed the prospect of having any realistic chance of long-term careers in management in the process.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote