Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th April 2020, 05:05   #21
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

Anyone's guess Jules

Steve
stevenicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2020, 19:31   #22
Adam2003
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur

My guess would be when Rover or rather BMW, sold the technology to SAIC, who now own MG.

With Ford purchasing Rover, who recently sold the name to JaguarLR, SAIC needed a established name to put on the Rover technology. They use MG I believe in Europe and in Asia use the name ‘Roewe’. The Roewe 750 has recently stopped being made, but they used Rover 75s and just put a Roewe badge on them for over 10 years, up until 2016.

So I believe these may have been bought by SAIC and stripped for parts, or resold under the ‘Roewe’ name. But if you look up the new MGs, a lot of them are the same as Roewe in Asia. Roewe and MG are as I said, both owned by SAIC. It’s definitely also worth looking up Roewe 750, they’re identical to the 75!

Not sure if anyone had mentioned this, but that’s why I think they were there anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adam2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2020, 21:24   #23
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam2003 View Post
My guess would be when Rover or rather BMW, sold the technology to SAIC, who now own MG.
Hi Adam, BMW never sold the 75 or any IP to SAIC. It's a convoluted story you can unravel from Wikipedia but the designs and assets did eventually end up with SAIC.

BMW sold Rover to the Phoenix consortium and Land Rover was sold to Ford who combined this Jaguar to form JLR. Ford purchased the Rover name from BMW and now this is owned by Tata.
jim_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2020, 02:12   #24
Adam2003
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_k View Post
Hi Adam, BMW never sold the 75 or any IP to SAIC. It's a convoluted story you can unravel from Wikipedia but the designs and assets did eventually end up with SAIC.

BMW sold Rover to the Phoenix consortium and Land Rover was sold to Ford who combined this Jaguar to form JLR. Ford purchased the Rover name from BMW and now this is owned by Tata.

Okay thanks for clearing that up! Maybe then the cars were used for parts/rebadged. But with no official word I guess we’ll never know. Such a shame. I wonder if any ‘Roewe 750s’ ever did make it to the UK. Would be cool to see one.

Adam2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2020, 02:44   #25
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam2003 View Post
Okay thanks for clearing that up! Maybe then the cars were used for parts/rebadged. But with no official word I guess we’ll never know. Such a shame. I wonder if any ‘Roewe 750s’ ever did make it to the UK. Would be cool to see one.

I dont think there have been any sightings of the 750 in the UK, not sure if they even made any further west than the Arabian states. Plenty on the forum about it regarding the Middle East and China. They werent identical to the 75, more like the LWB 75, but with a 5 series step at the rear, and a different interior. There was also the MG 7, and MG 7L, which were more similar to the mk1 ZT and 75 limos.

As Jim says, it is a convoluted story, which also has some involvement if I recall from another Chinese company, regarding the MG brand (Nanjang?). I cannot remember the full story, but more reading can be found HERE - there is a lot of worthwhile reading on that site, if you are not aware of it.

There is discussion regarding the cars pictured in the OP, somewhere else on this site. Something about them being evaluation models, and were likely destroyed, but I think in truth, no one really knows for sure.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote