Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th March 2021, 14:17   #1
rikk
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI

Default ZT diesel exhaust fumes

Hi, I've had a problem recently with my ZT where exhaust fumes were entering the cabin. I have found and fixed a couple of problems.. the small metal pipe that goes to the EGT value had split and has been replaced with a new one, and the flexi pipe in front of the CAT converter was also split and has now been replaced. However though changing these has vastly reduced the problem, there does still seem to be an issue. I've also changed the "PCV" filter but that made no difference. Is there anything else that I should check ?? thankyou
rikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2022, 13:47   #2
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Have you had any luck resolving this?

I had to be recovered from the A42 at Ashby yesterday, as exhaust fumes were making me drowsy.

I need to investigate.
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2022, 10:13   #3
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Assuming there are no leaks in the joints on egr valve or flexi section of exhaust, recheck the bolts securing the PCV filter housing, some folks dont change the seals when replacing the filter, and they leak. There are some other areas to check, oil dipstick tube - is the tube oily where it enters the engine crank case ? If yes, it may be blow-by gasses escaping from there, or maybe even the dipstick rubber seal may be compromised (Top of dipstick) Worth checking these areas as well as the oil cap seal for completeness, maybe worth just replacing it for the cheapness, seals dont have to look broken to not perform properly, they may only leak with pressure behind them when you cannot see it !
Good luck fellas !
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2022, 11:41   #4
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has had this with a diesel.
I had mine on a ramp and went over it inch by inch along the exhaust, no signs anywhere of black soot but then I got to the back box, mine is still original and although the outer skin is going the inner is still in good shape, but right at the back where the twin pipes exit the box I noticed a small area of soot.
I can only assume that somehow the fumes are getting into the cabin from there. I have used a heat sealant on the area (no more than a large pinhole) so I will see how that goes.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote