Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd February 2021, 12:13   #21
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartIngram View Post
On our local GP site their is definite proof that shields. are NOT suitable, nor are the filter type masks.
Anyone who requests to enter without a proper mask is in my opinion looking for an excuse not to comply. I have seen a medical video explaining the use of masks, and the myths about wearing them causing problems It was proven in the video that wearing 4 - yes FOUR - masks dis not impair breathing. I can agree that some people feel uncomfortable with them, but this is a thing you can get used to if you really try.
I know this will ruffle a few, but having been involved in this issue I won't change my mind or argue more about it.
Know what you are getting at Stewart, but see post 14 for a more definitive explanation on mask and/or visor usage.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:21   #22
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartIngram View Post
On our local GP site their is definite proof that shields. are NOT suitable, nor are the filter type masks.
Anyone who requests to enter without a proper mask is in my opinion looking for an excuse not to comply. I have seen a medical video explaining the use of masks, and the myths about wearing them causing problems It was proven in the video that wearing 4 - yes FOUR - masks dis not impair breathing. I can agree that some people feel uncomfortable with them, but this is a thing you can get used to if you really try.
I know this will ruffle a few, but having been involved in this issue I won't change my mind or argue more about it.

So why do hospital staff in intensive care all wear shields then if they do not do anything?
another_clean_sheet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:25   #23
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
So why do hospital staff in intensive care all wear shields then if they do not do anything?
Intensive care would deal with more issues than just covid-19. eg direct bodily fluids from both the patient and the nurse/doctor. I believe they also wear a mask too

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:27   #24
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I would have shoplifted something to teach him a lesson Bob.
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:29   #25
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
As far as I know they will wear a re-breather type when intubating where the danger of air-borne particulates is much, much higher. A medical grade mask (and perhaps visor depending on construction) does not stop all transmission, it only reduces.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:30   #26
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I would have shoplifted something to teach him a lesson Bob.
Yeah . . . . masks!

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 17:38   #27
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Because she 'failed' all the mask fit testing for FFP3 and FFP2, my dental nurse wears a full Wuhan style positive pressure protection suit. I have one too, but never worn it and keep it as a spare, since I 'passed' on several brands of mask. It uses a small motor and battery pack to drive a fan which draws air through a HEPA filter (bit like some of the welding kits out there) I've been tempted to march into Tesco's with the kit on for a laugh, but I'd probably infringe some kind of local rule, so I've chickened out.
The space suit is just higher spec mitigation like all the hand washing, face touch avoidance, social distancing and masks....it's all mitigation and preventive (and worthwhile) despite being imperfect. If you do come into contact with a cloud of infectious droplets and the concentration is reduced because of mitigation, the virus/bacterial/fungal inoculum is less. Starting from the moment of the inoculum, if the virus enters any cells, the lower initial dose gives the body a better chance of resisting infection or translates into a less severe experience. I wouldn't be without a mask in my daily routine doing dentistry, (but dislike wearing one in Tesco's lol)
I absolutely use my own hand sanitiser. Who knows the provenance of what we're offered when we're out and about. There's going to be an epidemic of dermatitis
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 18:31   #28
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

I would have needed to wear a mask as well. The same goes for FFP3 masks with exhaust valves. Nice for the wearer only and not suitable for Tesco's lol
My assistant has tested negative twice but we also have a lot of other mitigation in the surgery to protect patients, namely high volume extraction over the chair and also a 'Covid Filter' which draws room air through a high voltage grid (30k volts). This deactivates organic particles (down to 20x smaller than coronoviruses supposedly) and also adds a charge which assists entrapment in the Hepa filter. All the usual other universal precautions apply as before. I have enormous respect for medics at the sharp end dealing with people with known serious infections. We know that most of our own patients are pretty safe to work on.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 21:25   #29
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
By coincidence the chap who called to service our boiler recently had the same missing ear (dog attack) issue Steve and being a plumber he has to change masks at every call he overcame the problem by simply slipping a section of plastic straw over a paper clip making a small hook on each end then using it to connect the ear loops behind his head. Clever idea I thought
Wouldn't really do for me Ian. Although the accident was about a year ago the "cut" part of the ear is still incredibly sensitive despite being tidied etc by a plastic surgeon, the cartilage was trimmed and skin closed over it. I still can't bear anything touching the cut face hence the top elastic on the mask going over the top of my head.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 22:11   #30
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
but anyone can do that, those that just don't want to wear a mask can do it. How do you feel about that?

It is a very difficult situation and I think we need to be more tolerant when asked to wear a mask, no matter how silly or frustrating it may seem.
I don't think others should be mandating dress. I thought this was made clear with head scarves? What happened to 'my body, my choice'?

Seem? There is barely any evidence that wearing a nonsurgical mask in a nonsurgical setting is in any way useful (never mind if it outweighed the negative effects of doing so).

So I would be relaxed about that. People who are not always have the option of masking or deliveries too. Maybe a mask-free day?!
richw is offline   Reply With Quote