Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th April 2024, 12:39   #1
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Default Anyone near Leeds to check front suspension?

After spending £750 this year on my front suspension I'm at the point of saying goodbye to my beloved Rover75. Never thought it would come to this, but I am now at he point of "am I throwing good , ill afford money at her" It's a one owner vehicle from new, so I think I know what could be wrong, but I've lost faith. If anyone could put their finger on my problems I would be more than grateful. Chattering and knocking on offside front all point to lower ball joint or track rod ends, but I need to be certain it is this after spending £750. Not been to any meets of late, but am thinking of the Notts one on 6th May. Could be an opportunity for some expert to have a look then? perhaps?

Last edited by robbrooks; 16th April 2024 at 12:44..
robbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2024, 12:56   #2
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Where about a are you in Leeds? Send me a pm I'd be happy to look into this for you.

Usual culprits for front end knocks and creaks are:top mounts bearings (dry out and creak/grind going lock to lock)
Lower arm Bottom outer ball joints drying out causing a creaking noise
Drop links failing can creak and also rattle
Tired and worn out front shock absorbers can also cause a rattle on pot marked road surfaces
Anti roll bar bushes failing

I'm in Castleford so not far away

Regards
Rob
biffa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2024, 14:19   #3
Briodyjl01
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer, Rover 75 Saloon

I’m just down the road from biffa 75 in castleford so you can have two sets of eyes if needed
Old 16th April 2024, 17:06   #4
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Default Front suspension

Thanks for the replies
I'm happy to meet nearer Castleford. Probably best in the retail outlet. this is only about 30 minutes away down the M62.
It's not the front struts or top mounting as I've had Monroe shockers fitted in January. The noise/knocks/groans were there before they were replaced. I've also had the inner tie rods replaced- all for £750, so you can see why I'm reluctant to spend anymore on something that may not be the culprit. I'm erring on the bottom ball joint, track rod end or drop links. How can you be certain which one it is?
Old 16th April 2024, 17:39   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Loose subframe?

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 16th April 2024, 17:48   #6
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrooks View Post
Thanks for the replies
I'm happy to meet nearer Castleford. Probably best in the retail outlet. this is only about 30 minutes away down the M62.
It's not the front struts or top mounting as I've had Monroe shockers fitted in January. The noise/knocks/groans were there before they were replaced. I've also had the inner tie rods replaced- all for £750, so you can see why I'm reluctant to spend anymore on something that may not be the culprit. I'm erring on the bottom ball joint, track rod end or drop links. How can you be certain which one it is?

Put a long screw driver to ones ear and place the other end on the suspect component, while the sound may travel through other components, it'll become louder the closer you get to the cause of the noise.

Checking for play, just backup the front end and rock and pry suspect components and check for play and noise or movement that shouldn't be there.

If you want to arrange a time to meet, I'll bring a trolley jack and can give things a check over for you no problem. If Briodyj is available we'll both give things a check over ��

Regards
Rob
biffa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2024, 17:52   #7
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

If you want to come to me I'm more than happy to find the problem for you
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2024, 20:42   #8
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Rob. I would put my money on at least drop links. If it is, don’t buy Delphi drop links. Meyle seem to get a good report. Take the front wheel off, then undo the bottom nut on the drop link. Just detach from the link bar, and you will soon feel if it is the links. And if it is your drop links that have gone, when you fit new ones, roll back the cover and use some Castrol CL grease in them. Done this with mine and still ok after 4/5 years.

Last edited by bl52krz; 17th April 2024 at 19:36..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2024, 14:50   #9
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

New antiroll bar rubbers would not go amiss ... if not already done .They can knock.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2024, 12:47   #10
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Default Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Hi Rob. I would put my money on at least drop links. If it is, don’t buy Delphi drop links. Meyle seem to get a good report. Take the front wheel off, then undo the bottom nut on the drop link. Just detach from the link bar, and you will soon feel if it is the links. And if it is your drop links that have gone, when you fit new ones, roll back the cover and use some Castrol CL grease in them. Done this with mine and still ok after 4/5 years.
Thanks - good to hear from you Dave. Seems a while since the Netherland trip.
My bet is on the drop links or the bottom ball joint. Interesting that the antiroll bar rubbers have been mentioned, but would that give a knock over rough ground/ speed bumps?