Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th March 2021, 19:40   #1
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts
Default Oz road laws

Been watching motorbike cops on Pick about the Australian cops, the fines and penalties are much harsher than the UK. Should have more like that here. Any speed over 20k above the limit carries almost $1000 in fines and 5 points. One guy was doing 45K over and got fined $2475 list his licence for ,6months,and had his registration plates taken for 3 months . Mobile phone in your hand 337$ fine 3 month ban, plus 5 points.
Old 7th March 2021, 20:18   #2
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

A friend of mine worked out there a couple of years ago, he got caught for doing 5kph over the limit in a tunnel. That was two offences and he thought the police officer was joking when he handed out a several hundred dollar fine. A couple of days later he parked with his car pointing in the wrong direction and that was another big fine.

He got caught overtaking a car and exceeding the limit by several KPH while doing it even though he immediately slowed back to the limit.

His final conclusion after several months and several large fines was it was a major money spinner for the local police as what we could consider minor offences carried large fines.

The odd thing was being slightly over the drink drive limit only incurred a fine and you kept your licence.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2021, 21:18   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

how odd, just been reading the same topic on a motorbike forum, was that you too Rich?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2021, 22:54   #4
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
how odd, just been reading the same topic on a motorbike forum, was that you too Rich?

macafee2
Not me Ian, I’m not on any bike forums, not that into bikes, haven’t played with them for a long time now
Old 8th March 2021, 08:07   #5
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Long story this, my wife received an intention to prosecute type notice due to going through a red light north of Melbourne in a hired campervan. We were in Melbourne again a few months later on the way to a long stay in NZ. I phoned up the Melbourne fine office and said I could pop down and pay the 200 -300 fine, as I didn't want it arriving in UK whilst we were away. The guy said it wouldn't be processed for a while and not to worry. We never did get the demand to pay the fine.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote