Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th March 2014, 18:56   #1
johnnybbad
Loves to post

mgzt

Default SatNav Signal Problems

Hi all,

My highline sat nav is not showing my correct car position, also no little green dots around the world picture in top corner.

I have checked all leads at the back of the unit and they seem fine.

Went into the service mode as per one of reebs posts and it shows 8 satellites available but not connecting to any, also says "reecerr" in gps system check

Also Almanac says No

Any ideas ?

John
johnnybbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 19:22   #2
Duotone
This is my second home

Check the gps antenna, located under the parcel shelf. Also check the connection to the sat nav computer, located in the boot.

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 19:28   #3
johnnybbad
Loves to post

mgzt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duotone View Post
Check the gps antenna, located under the parcel shelf. Also check the connection to the sat nav computer, located in the boot.

Dave T
Hi dave,

Wire seems to be firmly attached to the back of the unit, will pull out the rear shelf tomm to check antenna side

Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 11:05   #4
Neil Coupland
Gets stuck in

Range Rover Sport, MG TF 160 Aubergine

I would concur with Dave. When I installed Hi Line into my car I had the same problem, after replacing the gps antenna all was fine.
Neil Coupland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 11:21   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

It might be worth seeing if there are any water marks around the GPS unit/ CD. Several have suffered from ingress.

If its the antenna, you can buy a standard cheap one to fit, but be aware the antennas come with a variety of plug types on the end. You need the correct one and I cannot help with identifying the plug type required.

Even once reception is regained, it can take quite a time for a satnav to regain your proper position - possibly several minutes to regain the almanack, before it can begin to calculate your position.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 10:29   #6
johnnybbad
Loves to post

mgzt

Bit of an update

I removed the gps antenna from under the parcel shelf, and connected it directly to the back of the gps unit with the boot open, and it now picks up satellites great !

Do these antennas need direct line of sight to work ?
Old 28th March 2014, 11:16   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybbad View Post
Bit of an update

I removed the gps antenna from under the parcel shelf, and connected it directly to the back of the gps unit with the boot open, and it now picks up satellites great !

Do these antennas need direct line of sight to work ?
They work in the same sort of band as your satellite TV. Step in front of your satellite dish and signal is lost entirely.

The signal can make its way through some materials, certain plastics, glass and similar, but not any metals or even metal foil. Which is why the rear shelf and the dash are good such good locations for the antenna, if the antenna must be inside the vehicle. It gets a good view of a wide area of the sky.

To get an accurate position, the GPS needs to receive several satellites - the more it sees, the more accurate the fix.

I think though, that your system may have started working simply because you have unplugged and re-plugged the antenna connection thus cleaning off any oxidation on the connectors. These things work on very low voltages with very low signal levels - oxidation can easily kill all reception. Try reinstalling it as it was and see if it still works.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 11:56   #8
johnnybbad
Loves to post

mgzt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
They work in the same sort of band as your satellite TV. Step in front of your satellite dish and signal is lost entirely.

The signal can make its way through some materials, certain plastics, glass and similar, but not any metals or even metal foil. Which is why the rear shelf and the dash are good such good locations for the antenna, if the antenna must be inside the vehicle. It gets a good view of a wide area of the sky.

To get an accurate position, the GPS needs to receive several satellites - the more it sees, the more accurate the fix.

I think though, that your system may have started working simply because you have unplugged and re-plugged the antenna connection thus cleaning off any oxidation on the connectors. These things work on very low voltages with very low signal levels - oxidation can easily kill all reception. Try reinstalling it as it was and see if it still works.
I will reconnect it and see what happens, thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 08:18   #9
pm77
Gets stuck in

Volvo XC70 D5 AWD Auto

Resurrecting an old thread, but I've got the same problems but I've got a tourer. Where do the aerial wires go to the shark fin? And if I do need a cheap replacement, where is best to locate it?
Old 27th April 2015, 08:43   #10
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm77 View Post
Resurrecting an old thread, but I've got the same problems but I've got a tourer. Where do the aerial wires go to the shark fin? And if I do need a cheap replacement, where is best to locate it?
Hello Paul,

The part number you need for a new sharks fin is XUC100950 and is still available from a Rimmer Bros

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-XUC100950

It has a short length of wire coming out of it to a connector. Then an extension wire with connector which runs along the headlining to the right hand side of the rear side windows and down into the area where your nav computer lives.

It is possible that the connector has become disconnected at the join though unlikely, but the only way to check is to pull down your headlining to check.

This is how to remove the headlining:

The seal on the base of the sharks fin can let water in, and I suppose that might be why it fails.

I would suggest getting an OEM replacement shark's fin antenna as it is designed specifically for the tourer. I have had two members report that replacing their Shark's fin cured the problem.
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote