Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th January 2020, 16:56   #11
achmelvich

rover saloon

The cost covered 2 Lambda sensors 2 shock absorbers 2 springs an anti rollbar link and 2 strut top bearings and labour @£250 incl vat so you can see I'm not very happy about the prospect of future bill!!!
achmelvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2020, 17:01   #12
achmelvich

rover saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
A rear spring will take a competent mechanic no longer than 30 minutes to change.

If it takes longer, they are either swinging the lead, or incompetent, the last pair I changed for a local member, on the drive with axle stands, took a leisurely 40 minutes, which included cleaning and treating the upper arm cup, and the cup on the bodywork.

The upper arm will not fail due to spring pressure, it is a matter of corrosion, and this can be clearly assessed once the spring is removed.......for example....

This is an upper rear arm, the pan with the upraised pip in the centre is where the lower part of the spring is fitted to, this arm even in the state of corroded failure, had not folded under spring pressure.

Now even the most lackadaisical mechanic could not fail to spot a defect of that magnitude and advise accordingly.

Brian
Thanks Brian. Think I will have a look at arms when they are doing work - garage is quite amenable that way - and see how they look as I would be changing both as recommended.
Maybe I should print out some of the comments re time to change spring !
achmelvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2020, 18:57   #13
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by achmelvich View Post
Still doesn't ease the mind though!
If the arm is in good shape, it wont collapse. ANY vehicle with a new spring and a rusty arm or whatever receptacle its spring locates to, will collapse if not sound. But as Suzublu says, if it is to collapse, it would have collapsed at any time.

The vital thing is to check that the arm
is sound when it is up in the air. To show how easy it is to change by the way, look at THIS video. (look carefully at the bottom of the spring he removes, you can see where it has broken - mine was identical and passed at least 4 mots like this, I preferred the handling before I changed them out lol)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote