Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd June 2019, 08:07   #1
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default Visit of U.S. President

Thankfully, the commemorations of the D-Day landings will overshadow this thugs visit to the United Kingdom and he'll be out of the way for the Trooping of the Colour - now someone may deem this political and close the thread.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2019, 11:19   #2
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

As with most of us his origins both betray and dictate his manner, or lack thereof, and to an extent his methods.

He is entirely a product of the business world where he gained influence on the back of great wealth and was not subject to the need to bring subordinates along with him through careful management.

Although that may be his biggest failing it isn't really his fault. In his world patient diplomacy is seen as weakness and take-it-or-leave-it attitudes as a reasonable negotiating tool.

He chimes with a lot of his countrymen who are steeped in a philosophy similar to his own - what counts is winning and at any cost - provided you have the financial back-up.

His domestic record is enviable. No matter what you think of the man he is achieving what so many before have not. His many critics have valid reasons but in the real word of the snake pit you need focus.

To us, the result is more how you get there than the getting there. Maybe, to some extent, exposure to a gentler approach like ours will rub a few corners off. Hopefully.
Old 3rd June 2019, 11:35   #3
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

A state visit by any POTUS is an occasion which I think should be welcomed and treated with due respect. It is an opportunity for the UK to rise above the politics as has been done with state visits afforded to previous and some might say far more controversial figures. The images will be projected around the world and people will expect to see what we can do best on these occasions.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2019, 11:52   #4
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Whether we love him or loathe him, he is where he is because of a democratic process.

He is the President of the US and therefore arguably the most powerful person on earth.

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:44   #5
KLM
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club CDT

Look at our own Representatives, can't get a job done between them.

Before we cast aspersions at others.

Kev.
KLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2019, 17:09   #6
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
A state visit by any POTUS is an occasion which I think should be welcomed and treated with due respect. It is an opportunity for the UK to rise above the politics as has been done with state visits afforded to previous and some might say far more controversial figures. The images will be projected around the world and people will expect to see what we can do best on these occasions.
I sincerely hope your right Steve, but what little chance is there of that happening when JC, leader of the opposition is planning to speak and join in on the march tomorrow against Trump, as is his right to free speech. Yes the images are being seen around the world, even here in Kenya, it’s a media bonanza and how they love it if there is anything acrimonious to report. The upside is that the news is not about the B word
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2019, 19:28   #7
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Whether we love him or loathe him, he is where he is because of a democratic process.

He is the President of the US and therefore arguably the most powerful person on earth.

Andy.

Yep, the Russians democratically voted him in

The sooner the sexist, racist bigot is back on airforce 1 heading home the better.
Old 3rd June 2019, 19:30   #8
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLM View Post

Look at our own Representatives, can't get a job done between them.

Before we cast aspersions at others.

Kev.
At least ours don't want to build a wall to stop the Scots or the Welsh getting in!
Old 3rd June 2019, 19:48   #9
shasbat3
Gets stuck in

Jaguar S type.

Not my favorite person but I agree with Darcydogs last sentence.

Last edited by shasbat3; 3rd June 2019 at 19:54..
shasbat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2019, 20:11   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
this respect has to go both ways though, I am not sure he even could spell it, never mind understand what it means. (I can't help but think if he read that, he would challenge me to an IQ test ). It is all me me me, the US the US, but it is me first. If you go to another country, you should respect their cultures and traditions, and if you cant or dont want to, then accept that they exist. He needs someone to walk behind him saying 'you are only a man, only a man'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post

Andy.
I do not understand how the American democratic process works. I may have misunderstood it (and probably have) but the majority vote doesnt always win or even count, but 'college votes' are what counts?

I have always said that a businessman (or woman), preferably self made, should run a country, with an accountant running the exchequer. And I believe my theory is proving correct, however, Trump sadly doesnt have the diplomacy to do it as effectively as he could. Nor I believe has he the empathy to delegate effectively (he has been too coddled with yes men and has only seen the poor from driving past or collecting rents with his father). Perhaps he has delegated too much in the past that he is so far removed from the nitty gritty he doesnt understand why things dont happen or go his way (back to the yes men and coddling).

He is right I believe in shutting down everything (the federal govt, the borders trade, etc) and regrouping, then saying 'right, this is how it will be done......' (I know he shut down the govt more of a punishment and a show of strength, which is where the lack of diplomacy comes in).

But it is the cost of the visit that bothers me, as well as how the local infrastructure gets affected by it all. I was stuck on the motorway one evening with G Dubya's entourage having the opposite direction lanes to themselves, blasting down at 100+mph, the wrong way. The other direction had been stopped and diverted for over an hour! All at rush hour! He landed using marine one, and was driven back!

Previously a secret service agent trying to stop me from stopping my van when Clinton (at the time of the peace accord!) was due in four hours. 'You cannot park there, sir!' 'Hey look at that, I managed it!' went in and dropped off the repair and back out with him grumbling on his mic. Reading in the reg of the van lol. I wasnt planning on stopping, as even on a normal day you werent supposed to park there lol.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote