Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th April 2007, 08:24   #1
lildevil
Avid contributor

Lexus IS200 (Previously - Rover 75 Saloon)

Default Cherished Plate transfer info....

Hi Everyone

Still waiting for the DVLA to transfer the plates, I spoke to the DVLA myself and they confirmed that it does take a month. So my next question is whilst the transfer is going on can I go and get the lexus and drive it away? The car is registered to me on the V5 and it is taxed MOT'd so I was wondering if I could just go over to the garage and drive it away? Info needed ASAP please.

Thanks

Regards
Tom
lildevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 08:35   #2
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

If its registered and got the original plates I cant see any problems then just transfer the plates when you get the go ahead
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 09:03   #3
lildevil
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrush View Post
If its registered and got the original plates I cant see any problems then just transfer the plates when you get the go ahead
Thanks Windrush. Thats what I was told by both the garage and DVLA...the garage still haven't sent off the application for the cherised plate transfer....grrr I should have just dealt with it myself! Well hopefully I should have the car this time tomorrow.

Regards
Tom
Old 11th April 2007, 09:04   #4
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Yes provided the cars are taxed tested and insured you can drive them.
when the transfer docs arrive the pack will include new V5 new MOT and replacement Tax disks then you can get the plates made up using the transfer doc as proof of ownership assuming you don't have plates already

You can change the plates over at your leisure you don't have to do it the instant the post arrives. Remember to post back the old tax disks
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 10:51   #5
tashax
Loves to post

BMW 750i V12

Talking

Yes my words are as above, mine came within 2 weeks but i waited til the weekend to put plates on.
Old 11th April 2007, 12:38   #6
lildevil
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Yes provided the cars are taxed tested and insured you can drive them.
when the transfer docs arrive the pack will include new V5 new MOT and replacement Tax disks then you can get the plates made up using the transfer doc as proof of ownership assuming you don't have plates already

You can change the plates over at your leisure you don't have to do it the instant the post arrives. Remember to post back the old tax disks
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashax View Post
Yes my words are as above, mine came within 2 weeks but i waited til the weekend to put plates on.
Thanks both Keith tashax and windrush for the info. I rang the garage and spoke to a helpful woman called Amanda who I have spoke to in the past, she told me that I can drive off with the car tomorrow once I have signed the handover docs at the garage and we exchange cars...owners manuals etc.... Also the DVLA have confirmed the above, however I rang the salesman who I am dealing with on his mobile and he told me that no we can't its up to the DVLA! So where do I stand? As far as im concerned it seems like the salesman doesn't want me to have the car!

I would like to know where I stand....can I just demand the car and say that both Amanda and the DVLA have confirmed that it is ok for me to drive the Lexus?

I hope the above makes sense im just getting p***** off with it all the salesmen who sold me the car doesn't seem to want anything more to do with it.

Regards
Tom
Old 11th April 2007, 13:53   #7
tashax
Loves to post

BMW 750i V12

Unhappy

Have you got insurance for the car in the old number plate and a valid tax on the car, if so it is your car and once the other reg documents come through that is up to you to change it over, i cannot see why a salesman would hold up a sale. Unless they have bought that number plate that is currently on your car. Hopefully others on here can help you, i can understand your anger... i would be too.
Old 11th April 2007, 14:47   #8
lildevil
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashax View Post
Have you got insurance for the car in the old number plate and a valid tax on the car, if so it is your car and once the other reg documents come through that is up to you to change it over, i cannot see why a salesman would hold up a sale. Unless they have bought that number plate that is currently on your car. Hopefully others on here can help you, i can understand your anger... i would be too.
Hi

Thanks for the info tashax

No the car isn't insured at the moment as the salesman told me that it doesn't need to be until I get it. Can I not ring the insurance company tomorrow if I pick up the car? And actually after thinking about it, I and my son think that the salesman believes that I want the private plates on the car before I drive off with it so I shall be speaking to him tomorrow (it's his day off today) and explain the fact that I would like it now with its current plates and let the transfer go through.

Regards
Tom
Old 11th April 2007, 14:52   #9
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Hi Tom

Once the car is insured and taxed and the garage have your money in their bank account, by whatever means. Then the car is yours and the salesman and garage are out of the picture. In any event the salesman will not want to do anything more as he is busy shafting his next victim.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 16:02   #10
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Tom I am confused what is the status of both cars?
has anyone actually sent a transfer request from one car to the other to the DVLA?

Basically if you are handing your car over as a px to the garage with its current plate you can take the new car away as is, afaik both cars must be insured and taxed or tax application doc included to transfer a plate so you might as well be driving it whilst waiting

Problem the dealer has is if he takes your car as is he must sit on it till the transfer completes -dead money so he is probably reluctant to do so.

I would have dealt with my own car separately first by putting the plate on retention (costs an extra £25) so you were then as soon as its new number arrived free to immediately PX it for whatever or sell it privately then you could have assigned the private plate at any later date up to one year to the Lexus.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote