Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd August 2010, 17:21   #1
JT667

Default Tourer rear wiper motor problem - now sorted

My rear wiper motor has not worked since I got the car (actually it hardly rained in the first two months of ownership). I have read the (many) threads on rear wiper motor problems and in particular the chap who cleaned the spindle in the glass section and sorted his problem out. I can't find that thread now but I wonder if his motor (in the tailgate itself) was turning but not the wiper blade. My motor is not making any noises so presume this is u/s. The washer works OK and I presume its the same fuse for both?
Mind you, there does seem to be a gap between the actual motor cog and the plate it would locate into on the glass window section - this can't be right can it?

Last edited by JT667; 13th February 2011 at 14:27.. Reason: tie up loose end
Old 22nd August 2010, 17:30   #2
mamasboy
RS South East

Ford fester... blah....

Maybe try to operate it with the hatch window open, the motor is in the tailgate so I think it should turn, not 100% sure though. I had same issue but it's healed itself!
Old 23rd August 2010, 07:03   #3
JT667

Default motor

No, motor does not operate at all - as I say, I'm not sure if the fuse for the motor also operates the washer as the latter works - in which case motor is u/s. Any one know the fuse situation? Haynes manual is not clear on this and doesn't seem to differentiate between saloon and tourer in wiring diagrams
Old 23rd August 2010, 07:56   #4
WeeMan
Posted a thing or two

Mazda MX5, BMW 520i

FIRST.............. Open the tailgate and try to move the wiper arm, if it's stiff then do the following:

Over time the wiper arm spindle that sits in the tailgate gathers muck and sticks (possible resulting in fuse blowing!).
To clean:
Take the cover off the rear wiper and undo wiper arm.
Using a small screwdriver remove the circlip and undo the large nut holding the wiper arm on
Take the spindle out from the glass, probably be stiff but wiggle it out!
On the spindle is a brass collar, this WILL come off, usually a good soak of WD40 and while holding the spindle with pliers use another set to manipulate the collar off (very stiff but MUST come off to lubricate/clean it)
Once off, wirebrush the spindle and clean the collar inside and out (carb cleaner good for inside), make sure it nice and clean and put a bit of copper-ease on it then re-assemble.
Put it all back together and the wiper should move very easily by hand with tailgate open.
Thats it!.....wipe away

Last edited by WeeMan; 23rd August 2010 at 08:26..
WeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 14:39   #5
JT667

Default thanks but....

Weeman - thanks for that info, I will definitely go through the process of cleaning the spindle gear but I am still not clear whether I should hear the motor (in the tailgate) turning even if the wiper blade (in the glass door) is not moving. Is this an indication of a u/s motor I wonder? Re the fuse blowing: still don't know if the same fuse covers the motor and washer pump!

Jack
Old 24th August 2010, 14:02   #6
WeeMan
Posted a thing or two

Mazda MX5, BMW 520i

Open the tailgate then put the wiper on, you should see the disk in the middle of the tailgate moving (that's the motor). But remember it's intermittant so give it a few mins while you watch.
WeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 14:25   #7
JT667

Default Loose end tie up

I thought I would come back to this, the very first post I made on the forum. I eventually sorted out my rear screen wiper motor. I discovered when comparing mine to another (at the meet on 12 Feb, see https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74534 ) that the small spindle in the tailgate window section was stuck in the in position and not springing out and therefore was not engaging with the actual motor mechanism. The main thing however, was that the motor was not running and I was unsure whether the washer pump (which worked at the time) and the motor (which didn't) shared the same fuse. I discovered on Sat that the rear wiper has its own fuse (no 42) and once swapped everything worked. Now this information was not in Haynes Manual but was in the User Handbook. Moral of this story is: RTFM. Consequence: I now have a second fully working rear wiper motor that will have to go on ebay, hey ho!
Old 18th February 2012, 15:58   #8
robbogpz900

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Rear Wiper Stuck

I know its some time since the last post on this thread but I had the same problem i.e. wiper movement became progressively slower before it ground to a complete halt mid wipe. When I looked closely there was no sign of motor turning the engagement plate, etc.
I followed most of Wee Mans post above except I didnt remove the circlip I just lifted rear window so it was positioned level and sprayed a good amount of WD 40 into the spindle. Next I used mole grips to move the spindle which was really stiff back and forwards repeatedly.
I repeated the process a number of times over a period of about 30 mins and the spindle eventually became easy to move. I reassembled the wiper blade and checked everything before flicking the switch and hey presto its working.
I was sure the fuse or wiper motor had blown but its working great (touch wood)
robbogpz900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 11:20   #9
ksilver
Loves to post

ZT-T 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMan View Post
FIRST.............. Open the tailgate and try to move the wiper arm, if it's stiff then do the following:

Over time the wiper arm spindle that sits in the tailgate gathers muck and sticks (possible resulting in fuse blowing!).
To clean:
Take the cover off the rear wiper and undo wiper arm.
Using a small screwdriver remove the circlip and undo the large nut holding the wiper arm on
Take the spindle out from the glass, probably be stiff but wiggle it out!
On the spindle is a brass collar, this WILL come off, usually a good soak of WD40 and while holding the spindle with pliers use another set to manipulate the collar off (very stiff but MUST come off to lubricate/clean it)
Once off, wirebrush the spindle and clean the collar inside and out (carb cleaner good for inside), make sure it nice and clean and put a bit of copper-ease on it then re-assemble.
Put it all back together and the wiper should move very easily by hand with tailgate open.
Thats it!.....wipe away
Sorry old thread resurrection, by "brass collar" are we talking about the serrated mount for the wiper arm? it doesn't appear to be "brass" on mine.

Assuming this is the "collar" mentioned is it screwed in or push fit?
ksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 14:33   #10
JT667

Default Rear wiper inop

Coincidental that you should re-open this thread. I started it some time ago and in last few months wiper has stopped working again - As I am now thinking of selling soon, I hope to get it sorted. My question is, will the motor operate with the window open? My wiper spindle is extremely stiff (stuck) but the motor does not work with window open or closed. This may mean a knackered motor or a stuck spindle by which I cannot confirm motor status if it is designed not to operate with window open