Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th June 2020, 20:50   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default Just thoughts on an engine swap in ZT

Just a wild thought whilst chatting with my father in law this afternoon about cars like we always do. I've been thinking for a while now that I wish my typhoon ZT was a v6 rather than a diesel now that it's solely a show/nice day car. I really miss owning my 190 SE tourer. The diesel is great as a everyday car, but miss having a more fruity engine.

So we just got chatting on the idea of maybe one day changing the engine in the typhoon from a diesel to something else. Initially was thinking fitting a v6 190 engine. Has this ever been done before? I imagine it would be a matter of swapping the engine, gearbox, driveshafts, full car's wiring loom and ECU, instrument cluster and exhaust. possibly subframe? are they the same on the v6 and diesel or different?

or even wilder thought... swapping it out for a v8 and modifying the floor plan to accommodate RWD. Would be even bigger cost due to custom subframes, transmission, ECU etc. But been thinking maybe the 4.6v8 or 5.0v8 as used in the SV (as this has been done before by dreadnought and retro lifestyle). Or maybe even a more modern v8 like the 5.0 used in the newer mustangs??

I know the first option of swapping the diesel for a v6 190 engine would be costly and cheaper to just buy a v6, and yes the second option of fitting a v8 and converting to RWD would cost a bomb and require huge amounts of work... but thing is with my typhoon ZT I've piled way to much work and money into it over the years to ever sell it, so I'll always keep it. I'd love another v6 or a v8 one day but would mean running another car and we already have 4 between me and Deanna, 3 of which are MG's. So toying with the idea of putting the money into my ZT to give it an engine I want it to have.

So has anyone firstly done an engine swap before from a diesel to a v6? I'm sure I remember years ago reading about someone who had done it.

And if you could choose any engine to put in a ZT (realistically that would fit and work) what would you go for?

And lastly, how does an engine swap work when it comes to emissions tests? Once the engine change is declared, does that update the emissions level the engine should meet on a MOT test? and how does it affect tax as well?

How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link

Last edited by Rick-sta; 6th June 2020 at 20:58..
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2020, 21:20   #2
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

2004 mk1 Rover 75 1.8T Club SE saloon (auto)

I've absolutely no idea what level of work is involved.

However (from watching Car SOS ), it seems pretty much anything can be achieved if you engage the right people (and have the resources ).

Given that any engine swap (to a different type) is likely to be a massive undertaking, I'd say go large and stick a V8 in it! It'd be pretty pointless going to all that work for relatively modest gain.. The Mustang engine would be the obvious choice, given that it's already been shoehorned into a 75/ZT chassis - although, I'm not sure if that has been done without significant chassis modification..?

I'd love, someday, to fit an old-school, carburettor-fitted engine, with as little ECU/electrical functions as possible (wouldn't have to be a monster, either) - just something that would never need a computer to work on.

Only in Lottoland for me, though, I'm afraid

Cheers,
Karl.
The Mighty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2020, 21:24   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Seeing as you are thinking about a V8, a 190 wouldn't suffice would it Rick?

You would need a rear subframe from the V8 then a lot of work on the boot floor to accommodate the change.

Then the tunnel would need altering to fit the engine and box of your choice, front subframe would remain largely the same just a slight alteration to allow the routing of the steering components.

Anything can be done, its just time & money.

I have always hankered to fit the old Buick engine from the old rovers into a 75 shell, then again, a nice 350 chevy would be good too...
Old 6th June 2020, 21:24   #4
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 + and MKIV Supra

I doubt anyone had done it but of course it's doable. Look what enthusiasts transplant nowadays with ECU controlled engines.

I would think

V6 engine, ancillaries and cooling circuits
V6 gearbox, mounts and driveshafts
V6 mounts, intakes and exhaust
V6 on engine wiring loom
V6 ECU
V6 clocks (Speedo, rev counter etc)
Not sure if the on engine loom would be a direct plug and play into the car loom but imagine it should be as these were production line cars.

If your being really picky change the struts and springs for V6 graded items

Probably a T4 or TOAF session.

Marina Brian might be along in a bit with probably more in depth info on the requirements

Living the dream

MK IV VVTI Tiptronic TT Toyota Supra
MG ZT 190+
BornTuesday, 10th July 2001 @ 09:01:10
259th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
252nd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
101st ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888
jonc3725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2020, 21:32   #5
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Tune the derv, start with a 330 turbo...........
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2020, 21:46   #6
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

If serious then speak to Chris Flanagan at Retro Lifestyle, after all he turned a 190 into a Supercharged V8 coupe.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2020, 21:49   #7
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

ill bet there is a bunch of small highly tune able v6 japanese engines which have way more bhp than ours.
I dare say alot would have have a similar front wheel drive setup as well.
They would shoe horn into the limited space easily.
What might be a but tricky is to get the cars systems to work together.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2020, 21:53   #8
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

What about something really radical - an electric conversion. With the right motor and battery set up performance could be outstanding.

I can see us all being forced down the electric route sooner rather than later, that would then future proof your typhoon.

Maybe even some form of business opportunity here too.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2020, 21:57   #9
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
What might be a but tricky is to get the cars systems to work together.
Naturally aspirated is the way to go, leave the cars electrics to run everything else except the engine management.
Old 7th June 2020, 06:07   #10
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

The most sensible route to take to a V8 conversion would be to acquire either a wrecked or a rusted ZT260 as a donor. Trying to replicate a 260 from scratch would be a huge task and would cost a fortune. Retro has the advantage of having a fully equipped shop with the room to take a car completely to bits, repair and modify a host of parts and build the car.
But, if you were to find a V8 without an engine or with a blown engine you could take your pick of Ford's crate engines.