Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th June 2020, 10:22   #1
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Default Highly recommended!

I was recently talking to a friend of mine who builds race / track day engines, and he mentioned Extralube ZX1.
He told me that he always uses it, and that I should give it a go.

I put 250ml into my 75 diesel and it was immediately noticable. Smoother, quieter, and less engine breaking which would indicate less friction. Over the next 25 miles or so the effects got even stronger. I was so impressed I purchased a further 250ml bottle for our other car, a 1.4 petrol. Exactly the same result, I am hooked. I figured if you can actually feel the difference, then it must be doing something. An added bonus is the trip computer in the Kia, is consistently showing an MPG improvement of about 2 to 3 mpg.

I have no connection with this company or product, I just tried it and I am impressed with it, and I don't normally use anything like this. Normally, I just change the oil more often than recommended and leave it at that.

Look it up on the internet, or give it a go.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2020, 10:57   #2
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Used it for years.

I started after noticing all the speedway riders used it so figured that it must be decent stuff given the strain that they put their bikes under. Speaking to a number of the riders mechanics they swore by the stuff.

One warning if there are any aspiring speedway riders thinking of using it, my experience is that it didn't really make much difference to the frequency that my face used to visit and undertake a little carpentry work on the safety fences of various tracks around the country, my Jawa kept going OK though.

Its normally about £20 a bottle and can be added to fuel, engine, water system and gearbox and supposedly coats the metal surfaces after heating up rather than staying in suspension in the oil or other liquids so doesn't get used up by draining or loss of oil or water.

I don't know how realistic or applicable this demo is but its enough to hook those of us whose car mechanical abilities stop at chucking the odd additive in the tank or hanging a fluffy dice on the rear view mirror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHe_kgnivqg

Oh by the way their little spray bottles of lubricant are absolutely fantastic for lubricating anything around the house or garden the best that I have ever come across.

Last edited by bendrick; 7th June 2020 at 11:07..
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2020, 11:07   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

How would an FBH handle Extralube ZX1?
It handles two stroke oil in the fuel

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2020, 11:14   #4
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

I'm afraid that I can't advise on an expert basis, I'm still on the fluffy dice stage of mechanical maintenance, its used in the diesel fuel tank and fuel system so I don't see why not and my FBH works fine.

I'm sure one of the experts might be able to help answer your query.

Last edited by bendrick; 7th June 2020 at 11:18..
Old 7th June 2020, 11:19   #5
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Reminds me of Slick 50 and Molyslip.
Put the former in my TR7 in the mid 80’s. Memory fails me on the results.
Old 7th June 2020, 11:23   #6
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Theres no PTFE in the ZXI which I seem to remember was a feature of many of the frictionless additives at one time and supposedly caused problems in a number of instances.

I've no idea if it still is widely used in such products.
Old 7th June 2020, 11:46   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Good idea, I must out and buy some immediately

Sorry, but their website protests about snake oil, seem a little hollow to me.

I'll give it a miss, if you feel £63 a litre is good value for money, then go for it

And like 2 stroke oil, I would definitely advise against adding it to diesel in the tank.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2020, 13:06   #8
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Something else for me to waste my limited cash on - snake oil! What a pity it doesn't cure my diabetes, reduce my waistline and increase my manhood and sex appeal as well...

Pretty soon they'll be selling it with a 30 day money back guarantee from their Malta-based company...

In my (vast!) experience of buying 'wonderful' products, if it sounds too good to be true, it (nearly) always is...
Interior Trim Sports PPH Black, but now with real walnut wooden trim!
One of only 20 on the road!
Pueblo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2020, 14:06   #9
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblo_Boy View Post
Something else for me to waste my limited cash on - snake oil! What a pity it doesn't cure my diabetes, reduce my waistline and increase my manhood and sex appeal as well...

Pretty soon they'll be selling it with a 30 day money back guarantee from their Malta-based company...

In my (vast!) experience of buying 'wonderful' products, if it sounds too good to be true, it (nearly) always is...

Well maybe, maybe not who knows? The OP certainly thinks he's noticed a benefit as does his racing car engine building friend and I don't suppose the many speedway mechanics that I spoke to would waste their money on something that they didn't think was of benefit in a sport always strapped for cash.

As mentioned by myself above I bought one of their spray lubricants for a pretty modest price and it is by far without doubt the best lubricant for locks, hinges and other general seizing up squeaky moving metal things that I have ever used.

Others no doubt have their own favourites. I don't think its compulsory to buy recommendations.
Old 7th June 2020, 17:07   #10
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I used Molyslip in my vehicles upto the turbo era, when we were advised not to use it in turbo’s because it was causing problems within the turbo because of the high temperatures solidifying the Molyslip in the oilways of the turbo. If you can still get Molyslip I will be putting it in the KV6 2.5. No turbo. I used to get an extra 2/3 mpg over the same route going to work, so I know it is good stuff.