Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th June 2018, 13:16   #1
WallyH
Regular poster

mg zt-t

Default Brake pad warning

Hi All

Just sorting a few problems picked up on MOT. One being brake pad warning light illuminated. It has been on for a while I knew pads were OK as I had replaced them recently. Also knew front sensor cable defective, replaced cables front and back, brake pads OK, warning light still on. Anybody any ideas how to sort problem or imobilise warning light. Any information or assistance welcome.

Wally H
WallyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2018, 15:10   #2
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Plenty of posts appearing regarding this.

My advice is to remove both sensors, cut wires short of plug, join together and insulate then re fit into loom.

Problem solved forever. It’s easy to check brake pads visually without the need of an inefficient sensor.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 07:56   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyH View Post
... replaced cables front and back, brake pads OK, warning light still on. Anybody any ideas how to sort problem or imobilise warning light.
Hi Wally,

Have you noticed that when someone asks for advice on which brand of brake pads to buy, people queue to offer their opinion on which is best? Well-known, established names win the contest on the basis of safety. Why risk your life, and that of others, for the sake of reliable brakes, it is said.

Isn’t it odd that when it comes to a system which warns you from the comfort of your driving seat that the safety of your brakes is about to be compromised, it is not only Jim who recommends disabling it. I don’t agree. The system is very simple and is easily accessible so why not have a go at finding the fault?

Here are my suggestions:
  1. Remove each sensor from its brake pad and check that the small omega shaped wire clip is present around the sensor tip.
  2. Unplug the front sensor and temporarily join the two contacts in the loom connector. Does the warning light extinguish? If not, reconnect the sensor.
  3. Repeat for the rear sensor.

That should tell you where the problem lies.
Please let us know how you get on.

Simon
Old 6th June 2018, 15:05   #4
frankson
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon auto KV6

Default point

'Isn’t it odd that when it comes to a system which warns you from the comfort of your driving seat that the safety of your brakes is about to be compromised, it is not only Jim who recommends disabling it. I don’t agree. The system is very simple and is easily accessible so why not have a go at finding the fault?

An excellent point there Simon.
frankson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 15:15   #5
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

The OP has asked for advice so advice is given.

It is not only on 75’s that this problem exists, you just need to look at the sheer number of posts regarding brake pad sensors on other marques showing a warning when brake pads have still plenty of life in them.

At the end of the day it’s up to the OP if he wants to spend more time and more money attempting to get a fix which invariably throws a wobbly in later life.

Checking brake pad wear is just as easy if not easier than checking your tyres.

I firmly believe in regular maintenance which includes preventative maintenance. I am an old school mechanic with a 5 year apprenticeship and will not skimp on anything which my vehicles require which is why I loop out these sensors.

Finally I will not get enter into a slanging match, as has happened on other posts on this forum.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 15:40   #6
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

I agree that the pad wear sensors are a bit hit and miss, my only fear on disabling anything that is fitted as original equipment , especially which may be interpreted as "Safety related", is that it could be a let out for insurance companies who want to get out of paying up in the event of a claim.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 20:48   #7
impvan
Avid contributor

ZT-T

Location: In the trees, near Caernarfon... and frequently Aberdeenshire, and sometimes Romania..

Well, if the sensors are **so** critical to safety, why did MGR delete them from one side of the car?

It's not like there's no established history of unbalanced wear across an axle with disc-braked vehicles....
impvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 07:49   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by impvan View Post
Well, if the sensors are **so** critical to safety, why did MGR delete them from one side of the car?
They didn’t “delete” them from one side of the car Carl. They have only ever been fitted to the offside which, as far as I know, is an industry standard. I agree that this policy is open to criticism but I suppose we can say that it’s better to have half a safety feature than none at all.

Simon
Old 9th June 2018, 09:21   #9
WallyH
Regular poster

mg zt-t

Default Brake Pad Sensors

Hi All
This is second time this morning I have tried to reply to thread, pressed submit and computer wiped out everything. Anyway thanks for all the replies I had a fiddle with cables and lo NO WARNING. Next morning just before re-test realized I had not fully clipped front cable in which I corrected and on came warning. Thoroughly frustrated I chopped old connectors, joined wires and heat shrank to waterproof. Light still on. Had fiddle with connectors and light out. Passed test but have ordered quality 2 pin connectors to replace garbage I appear to be having trouble with. Anyway Thanks All for the advice.

Wally
WallyH is offline   Reply With Quote