Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th January 2019, 12:06   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Nearly naughty words said

Having finally wired up the 13 pin socket on the tow bar I got round to testing it. Wife working the controls and me at the rear (of the car, gone are those days) with a bulb and some wire.

Three wires on one side seemed reversed with 3 wires on other side of the socket but I had been so careful. Also the reversing light was not working. I had picked up the correct wire from the car but no power out of relay.

A bit down I grabbed another relay and as I was about to wire it in found I had not connected an earth from the original relay. Connecedt that.
Thank you Rover for providing me with a separate earth point. Easy fix but what about the reversed wires?

Another Google hunt and it transpires the diagram I'm using is the caravan plug not the car socket so........ it all works.

Good result

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2019, 12:23   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Having finally wired up the 13 pin socket on the tow bar I got round to testing it. Wife working the controls and me at the rear (of the car, gone are those days) with a bulb and some wire.

Three wires on one side seemed reversed with 3 wires on other side of the socket but I had been so careful. Also the reversing light was not working. I had picked up the correct wire from the car but no power out of relay.

A bit down I grabbed another relay and as I was about to wire it in found I had not connected an earth from the original relay. Connecedt that.
Thank you Rover for providing me with a separate earth point. Easy fix but what about the reversed wires?

Another Google hunt and it transpires the diagram I'm using is the caravan plug not the car socket so........ it all works.

Good result

macafee2
get one of THESE for the tool box, so handy for testing electrics in the car, and saves having to have three pairs of hands with the bulb and wire.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2019, 14:19   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
get one of THESE for the tool box, so handy for testing electrics in the car, and saves having to have three pairs of hands with the bulb and wire.
By he time I have ever had the need to use one of those the wire has normally come away. I'd use that the same way as a bulb in a bulb holder and wire. I took the bulb holder form the 75 I'm breaking.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2019, 14:36   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
By he time I have ever had the need to use one of those the wire has normally come away. I'd use that the same way as a bulb in a bulb holder and wire. I took the bulb holder form the 75 I'm breaking.

macafee2
the one I have, the wire is permanently fitted to the top of the grip, which is getting tired, especially having had to rob a couple of inches to fashion a makeshift repair to a headlight loom years ago lol. I had one like the ebay one, and like you the wire disappeared lol. I found it convenient and takes less space in the tool box. (Incidentally, poundland used to do them)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote