Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd March 2022, 13:29   #1
Telestrat17

Rover 75

Default Problem with radio/which genuine radio for my 75 ?

Rover 75-CDT-Pack Luxe (in France)-Manual g.bx.-02/2004-Starlight Silver Met. (Longbridge)

Hello everyone. (sorry, Reverso Translation is my friend!)
Although I have been a member since 2014, my participation has so far been limited to coming from time to time to visit the site and reflect on the topics that caught my attention.

However, today, I come to ask for any help for a problem related to the radio of my 75.

History: I am the third owner of this vehicle (Longbridge/first registration 02/2004), equipped with a CD player in the trunk. I bought the car at 117.000 km in 2014, it is now at only136.000 km. Actually I ride little with not really having the opportunity to use it more for outings.

I get to the point of my call for help :
When I bought this vehicle from a Peugeot garage, they had equipped it with a JVC radio. They changed it from an unknown brand radio installed by the second owner, this radio that was no longer working. For the installation of this new car radio, the garage kept disconnected the useless CD player because not plugged in.

I used this JVC until the day, I decided to put the car back in its original state and want to change the radio. So I bought a used SYMPHONY model (pic1) based on the user's bookhand that came with the car.

And it’s with this radio that the problem arises.
When the car is stopped, the radio works. But as soon as I start the gear box, it cuts the music and « PHONE MUTE » appears on the screen. Then is immediately replaced and alternately and very quickly by the music then again by PHONE MUTE and so on. This without stopping during all the use of the vehicle when radio is « ON », which makes it impossible to listen to any program.

I come with two questions:
1/ - Is there anyway to remove the PHONE MUTE function for this model ? I suppose the black connector rounded with pink was used for the CD player( pic2).

2/ From the VIN number for the vehicle, can we know what was the model of radio originally delivered from the factory, considering that there was also the CD player today not operational ? Can I still find this genuine radio on second hand ?

Thank you for any help or advice to solve this problem of radio as long as I want to use the original /genuine radio model for this car.
Attached Images
File Type: gif pic1.gif (15.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: gif pic2_2.gif (17.4 KB, 30 views)
Telestrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2022, 15:01   #2
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

If the wiring is original for the Symphony, there should be two 8 way ISO connectors, one grey one brown, and three mini ISO connectors blue, green and yellow.
The 'Phone Mute' problem is caused by a connection to pin 1 of the power ISO connector (the OE one is grey), it should be empty (or a short piece of cable, not connected to anything).
The blue mini ISO connector is for the CD changer, the green and yellow ones are not used.
You may find an adapter lead has been plugged into the OE connectors, that lead should be discarded.

Last edited by raykay; 23rd March 2022 at 15:10..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2022, 07:04   #3
Telestrat17

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay View Post
If the wiring is original for the Symphony, there should be two 8 way ISO connectors, one grey one brown, and three mini ISO connectors blue, green and yellow.
The 'Phone Mute' problem is caused by a connection to pin 1 of the power ISO connector (the OE one is grey), it should be empty (or a short piece of cable, not connected to anything).
The blue mini ISO connector is for the CD changer, the green and yellow ones are not used.
You may find an adapter lead has been plugged into the OE connectors, that lead should be discarded.

Thank you so much Raykay for this valuable information that will help me take a look as soon as possible in order to solve the problem even if I have no competence in automotive electricity.
Old 24th March 2022, 15:33   #4
Telestrat17

Rover 75

Thanks a lot RayKay. I did what you said and now radio and tape work fine.
All the best from an happy user
Claude aka Telestrat17